Struggling against the blitz

AgentDib

Reaction score
I haven't seen any splits yet but my perception is that our offense executed pretty well against AZ's four man rush tonight. At the same time I felt that we looked bad for the most part when they added a fifth or sixth guy. It will be interesting to watch the all-22 but in the meantime did others have the same perception? This is of immediate interest as SF has been blitzing a lot more this season under Mangini.

It does seem like Russ's first instinct against the blitz is to scramble whereas typically NFL teams would prefer to see the ball come out quickly instead to a hot route.

Perhaps we are simply failing to execute there for a number of reasons (switching play to short routes, receivers knowing they are hot and helping the QB, QB making quick decisions, QB having sight lanes to his receivers)?

Perhaps we are at least partly intentional in using Wilson's mobility to stretch the pocket horizontally, and it just hasn't worked very well when we are up against opposing defenses with enough speed to contain him?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
AgentDib":34yx0uj9 said:
I haven't seen any splits yet but my perception is that our offense executed pretty well against AZ's four man rush tonight. At the same time I felt that we looked bad for the most part when they added a fifth or sixth guy. It will be interesting to watch the all-22 but in the meantime did others have the same perception? This is of immediate interest as SF has been blitzing a lot more this season under Mangini.

It does seem like Russ's first instinct against the blitz is to scramble whereas typically NFL teams would prefer to see the ball come out quickly instead to a hot route.

Perhaps we are simply failing to execute there for a number of reasons (switching play to short routes, receivers knowing they are hot and helping the QB, QB making quick decisions, QB having sight lanes to his receivers)?

Perhaps we are at least partly intentional in using Wilson's mobility to stretch the pocket horizontally, and it just hasn't worked very well when we are up against opposing defenses with enough speed to contain him?

Wilson isn't going to ever be good at beating the blitz from the pocket. He doesn't have the height. I do think he could get BETTER with improved play at guard, WR, and OC. But it's never going to be his strong suit. He's just not that type of QB.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ovdh8ln said:
AgentDib":1ovdh8ln said:

Wilson isn't going to ever be good at beating the blitz from the pocket. He doesn't have the height. I do think he could get BETTER with improved play at guard, WR, and OC. But it's never going to be his strong suit. He's just not that type of QB.
One of the biggest factors on whether or not one is succesful against the blitz is the presnap reads, and adjusting the play according to what looks the defense is showing. If you watch Manning, or Brady they seem to know exactly where to go with the ball when teams are blitzing them. This is the area where Wilson really is lacking in my opinion. Too many times this season I've seen defenses cheating to one side, and the end result is not enough blockers. It turns either into a scramble drill, sack or int.

RussB

Reaction score
When teams blitz they need to do quick passes thats an easy completion.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3u7dbe2i said:
MontanaHawk05":3u7dbe2i said:
AgentDib":3u7dbe2i said:

One of the biggest factors on whether or not one is succesful against the blitz is the presnap reads, and adjusting the play according to what looks the defense is showing. If you watch Manning, or Brady they seem to know exactly where to go with the ball when teams are blitzing them. This is the area where Wilson really is lacking in my opinion. Too many times this season I've seen defenses cheating to one side, and the end result is not enough blockers. It turns either into a scramble drill, sack or int.

True, and his experience is also a factor. This is his sophomore slump. Perhaps he will get better.

Despite people's tired jokes about his recent vacation (my God, that man is entitled to a vacation if anyone is), the guy does have the work ethic to learn.