Time for Schneider to take some blame

seabowl

Reaction score
Yes we are all happy and proud of the job JS has done for us since joining the team. With that said I just don't understand how in the world he thought this OL would hold up and keep us competitive. Sure the coaches have their say too in that they may have believed that they could get these OL players to gel and be effective however IMO the blame ultimately goes to him. There have been some really high stake moves that have just not panned out (obviously Percy comes to mind) but the decision to play this inexperienced bunch at OL is ranking up there with the Percy move. It's even magnified by stunting the growth (no pun intended) of Wilson. Those of you who blame Russ this year I guess don't get what happens to a QB when they have to run for their life most plays and even the few that are blocked well has made him gun shy as should be expected. Sure Pete, Bevell and others should take blame too, but Schneider is the GM overseeing this whole deal.

Thoughts?

rideaducati

Reaction score
This team is fractured because the ONLY person that should take the blame isn't man enough to even admit he made a mistake and nobody wants to fight for someone that can't admit when he was wrong and has shown ZERO remorse.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
He took blame last year when the team was poop in the beginning of the season, the team admitted their mistakes and shipped Harvin out for peanuts. Team turned it around and all the chatter stopped.

Winning can hide your problems, and losing just exemplifys all the problems.

People have been complaining about getting a #1 WR/target for years (which is why they went after Harvin and then Graham), but it was something people could swallow because the team was winning. The OLine has never been good, because all the high draft picks and $ are allocated somewhere else. You want a good OL, well then prepare for other parts of the team to suffer, expect more Cary Williams type players to fill in the rest of the squad else where. This is the NFL, it's not that easy, and to even have that 4-5 year run before a down season is amazing. Hard to expect him to hit gold with every pick and if you want him to go all out on an OLine, then like I said earlier, expect other parts of the team to suffer because of it. They've been following a winning formula that has brought them to two SB's and 3 division titles in 5 years, but at the same time, that's not to say there isn't some change needed, because obviously things aren't working out right now.

The team is 4-5 after two years of back to back SB appearances, they know they're f*%#ing up right now.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Adaptation > blame. Blame is what we do in a state of unhappiness to share our unhappiness for the immediate satisfaction of catharsis. It's not what we ought to do if long term success and sustained joy is of greater concern. For us, one of the few things we can adapt about our fandom is our expectations and our disposition toward losing. For the team, it's hopefully about tinkering to figure out what we ought to have been doing this season and learning from how drastically we diverged from preparing to play more optimally. Set backs are uncomfortable but they can also be useful if only because they're a biologically stronger motivator for the formulation of brain tissue associated with skill. This loss is a sign of current ineptitude and it's also exactly what can cultivate improvement through adaptation.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Draft and FA are basically random events.

Schneider got WAY too much credit for winning lottery tickets when he dominated the draft and FA for a couple years, and will now get WAY too much blame now that he has tanked the draft and FA for a couple years.

If you want to evaluate if you like Schneider or not, you basically need to do so holding constant the the short trends in outcome (no matter if they happen to be pointing up or down at the moment), and instead look at strategy.

Schneider is a guy who makes big bets. Is that something you like or don't?

In making big bets he does two things differently from most GMs:

1) Compared with other GMs he's pretty profligate with draft capital in making those big bets.

2) Compared to other NFL GMs he seems more comfortable applying a superstar strategy (e.g. spending very big on his top players, and filling out around them with replacement level talent and UDFAs) that's more common in the NBA than the NFL.

GLio14

Reaction score
This is on Wilson and our defense.

I've never seen so much panic out of Wilson in his whole career. Every time he backs out into the pocket, instead of throwing the damn ball, he'll scramble without even thinking about it. I know our OL is pretty terrible, but does he have to scramble every snap? He's looking like a damn fool.

And this defense? That game could've been a whole lot different if they didn't commit the dumbest penalties on 3rd down when they made stops. It goes to an automatic 1st and then ARZ scores, and we look like idiots. The defense looks disheveled and I'm starting to think our defensive legacy is over.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3qwruko5 said:
Draft and FA are basically random events.

Schneider got WAY too much credit for winning lottery tickets when he dominated the draft and FA for a couple years, and will now get WAY too much blame now that he has tanked the draft and FA for a couple years.

If you want to evaluate if you like Schneider or not, you basically need to do so holding constant the the short trends in outcome (no matter if they happen to be pointing up or down at the moment), and instead look at strategy.

Schneider is a guy who makes big bets. Is that something you like or don't?

In making big bets he does two things differently from most GMs:

1) Compared with other GMs he's pretty profligate with draft capital in making those big bets.

2) Compared to other NFL GMs he seems more comfortable applying a superstar strategy (e.g. spending very big on his top players, and filling out around them with replacement level talent and UDFAs) that's more common in the NBA than the NFL.

Reckless with his draft capital? What are you talking about? Schneider traded for Percy Harvin...what was reckless there? Did you happen to see Percy when he played? There was no history of injuries and anyone can get injured at any time. That was not reckless.

Schneider traded the 31st pick in the draft for Jimmy Graham...totally reckless. Those 31st picks are always better than Jimmy Graham. He also GOT a fourth round pick for a guy that missed 14games in the past two seasons...reckless....

GTFOH with that reckless crap...

Popeyejones

Reaction score
GLio14":2ucg5esi said:
I've never seen so much panic out of Wilson in his whole career.

TBH to me he looks exactly the same as he has always looked. That's neither a compliment nor an insult, but I don't really see anything different in his play.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2cnb5slt said:
GLio14":2cnb5slt said:

TBH to me he looks exactly the same as he has always looked. That's neither a compliment nor an insult, but I don't really see anything different in his play.
This. He is what he is and I don't see it changing. Coaches and coordinators just need to set him up to mitigate some of this.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Popeye, I would agree with parts of your assessment of JS with one caveat. It's only an accurate description of JS's tendencies once we nearly made in to the NFCCG in 2012 while being primed for more contention. Prior to this he was the consummate gambler playing a longer game. He never traded up. He inquired about superstar players, such as Brandon Marshall and Vincent Jackson, but never bit once the price went past a bargain like it was with Lynch. He inquired about potential QBs, such Kevin Kolb, but only went for QBs we wouldn't absolutely need to perform well based on what we gave up for them, like Jackson, Whitehurst, Flynn, and Wilson. As random as the draft and FA can often be, he planned himself into a position to make the chaos more favorable through more rational gambles.

His tendencies may have become more irrational once the prerogative shifted from a four year plan to choosing who to keep and finding a player or two to give us a more substantial advantage. It would appear his choice to pursue retaining every superstar and acquiring new one's in Harvin and Graham was very poor, if only because it partially came at the expense of our offensive line. However, much of JS's skill and benefit of luck shouldn't be defined by these mistakes and unprofitable gambles but instead also on how he reacts to these set backs in the upcoming off-season. Labeling him a complete and utter genius may have been premature by some of us Seahawk fans but so is attributing his success entirely to luck amidst the chaos of FA and the draft.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Popeyejones":367kwwbp said:
GLio14":367kwwbp said:

He is the same that he has always been . Our problem started when we didn't let him play out his contract that was the mistake

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Subzero717":1ih90jvb said:
I don't know what blame Schneider deserves when we have as much talent on the field as we have.

Totally agree!!!

mrt144

Reaction score
Subzero717":225waj0w said:
I don't know what blame Schneider deserves when we have as much talent on the field as we have.

Except for the gaping holes at OL and WR, yes, there is talent on the field. We've never been a 'complete' team but we are in 'fractured' territory.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
GLio14":2hh2xy31 said:

I have, for his whole career. He has NEVER been one to stay in the pocket, and I'll bet dollars to donuts it's because he just can't see anything in there.

HawkGA

Reaction score
hawkfannj":8d0bw8ua said:
Popeyejones":8d0bw8ua said:
GLio14":8d0bw8ua said:

He is the same that he has always been . Our problem started when we didn't let him play out his contract that was the mistake

Allow me to push back on the playing out his contract thing. I thin it's pretty safe to say that if Wilson was still on his rookie deal, all the blame for his bad play would be placed at the fact he is worried about a new deal. Fair or not, that's what the story would be.

Subzero717

Reaction score
mrt144":29vd10ug said:
Subzero717":29vd10ug said:

Except for the gaping holes at OL and WR, yes, there is talent on the field. We've never been a 'complete' team but we are in 'fractured' territory.
The O line is an easy target but our line has never been good. Unger missed almost an entire season over two years. Britt was okay at RT last year. Putting your faith in a coach like Cable given the last few seasons isn't totally crazy.

WR we are probably as deep or deeper than we've ever been. We just aren't connecting.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think the one thing JS deserves blame for is the 2014 draft where he had Joel Bitonio fall into his lap and instead elected to trade back. As a result we reached on Paul Richardson AND Justin Britt, and while I like Paul... I would have much preferred Bitonio and Allen Robinson/Jarvis Landry/Donte Moncrief. JS also traded back in the 4th when he could have had Martavis Bryant over Kevin Norwood. How nice would a Bitonio/Robinson/Bryant draft be right now?

The Harvin trade and the Graham trade.. you get the reasoning behind each, but I think that falls more on our lovely OC being completely inept on figuring out how to utilize either of them. Obviously keeping Tate over Harvin would have been much better for this franchise too.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Schneider built and did all he could to keep this championship winning roster together. He gets a pass until most of this core is gone.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":m3eubc94 said:
I think the one thing JS deserves blame for is the 2014 draft where he had Joel Bitonio fall into his lap and instead elected to trade back. As a result we reached on Paul Richardson AND Justin Britt, and while I like Paul... I would have much preferred Bitonio and Allen Robinson/Jarvis Landry/Donte Moncrief. JS also traded back in the 4th when he could have had Martavis Bryant over Kevin Norwood. How nice would a Bitonio/Robinson/Bryant draft be right now?

The Harvin trade and the Graham trade.. you get the reasoning behind each, but I think that falls more on our lovely OC being completely inept on figuring out how to utilize either of them. Obviously keeping Tate over Harvin would have been much better for this franchise too.

Hindsight is always 20/20 though.
I think you are assuming any of those WR'S would be producing here what they are elsewhere. That's not what this offense is.

Hindsight is great. Also remember Bitonio is playing along side Mack and Thomas.