This feels like PCs end at USC

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
This feels eerily similar to PC's run at USC. By the end of his tenure, USC still had major talent, but just wasn't a very good "team." This feels so similar to that. We have all-world talent, but there's no magic, no spark. It's palpable.

I am probably stating the obvious, but I think there is major dysfunction happening under the surface with this team. I've always loved RW, but I think he has lost the team. He has certainly lost his ability as a QB. He was Peter Pan for his first 3 years. Unfortunately, the pixie dust has worn off and he has refused to become an adult (pocket QB). This is total speculation, but it just "feels" like he has nobody backing him in the locker room (not laying blame anywhere). I'm not terribly sure how this gets resolved/fixed.

Not sure what else to say; if this trend continues, I gotta say I won't be shocked to see PC bail. I really do believe there is severe dysfunction happening behind the scenes. It's the only way I can explain how a team this talented can be so consistently bad.

Major changes need to happen in the Offseason...

I think we need to trade Jimmy Graham (not fault of his own). His stats will end up fine on the year, but it just feels all too forced. He had some major drops yesterday that really killed us. Considering his non-value in the blocking game, he can't have multiple drops like that.

I think Cable/Bevell need to be canned. I read a great analogy, Tom Cable is the Rob Ryan of offensive line coaches. The hype doesn't match the results.

We need to draft a QB in the mid rounds. Mainly as a "get your shit together, RW." The trend is very troubling. I would like to think the dysfunction on the OL has been the biggest impact, but I don't think I want to wait around to find out.

We need to draft OL and acquire a blocking TE. This should need no explanation. The OL is beyond pathetic. The penalties are just a killer.

This has been the least fun I've ever had as a Seahawks fan. We've had far worse records in the past, but it's hard to stomach this W-L record with the type of talent and expectations we have. It's beyond frustrating. I will always be a fan, but I gotta say; turning on the games on Sunday is an act of "well...I guess I'm gonna go through this again."

DeeHawks

Reaction score
Totally agree. It's depressing to watch actually.
We're just not a very good team this year.

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
DeeHawks":o38dwr54 said:

It's unbelievably depressing. I'm at the point now, where I just expect disappointment. What a turn of events from the past few years.

bighawk

Reaction score
This is why they call it overreaction Monday. No defense will dominate being on the field for almost 40 minutes the offense must do its job and play smash mouth football I thought the defense played great except for Sherman trying to jump a route on Floyd. The offense isn't carrying its share of the load and I blame Cable for trying to convert guys into lineman and Bevell for his predictable play calling. Changes needs to be made.

DeeHawks

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":3sf7vgal said:
DeeHawks":3sf7vgal said:

It's unbelievably depressing. I'm at the point now, where I just expect disappointment. What a turn of events from the past few years.
I agree. I seem to just expect disappointment now too. But with all the talent we have on this team, I guess I thought we would be way better than we've been playing so far.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It's just a bump in the road folks. If the proper changes are made in the coaching staff and players on the field they can get back to the dominating ways. Back to back Super Bowls is a rare thing, and the way the salary system is set up this is how the NFL wants it, have a couple of good years then back to the pack. If the dead weight is cut in the offseason in coaching staff and player wise no reason they cannot continue to be in the hunt for Super Bowls year after year.

OP
OP
M

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I don't think I mentioned the defense anywhere in my post. The Defense is good. And I do agree the offense is killing them. Overall, it's a broken team. There is severe dysfunction happening outside of the public realm. It's pure speculation on my part, but it feels palpable.

I agree that Cable is terrible and needs to go. It's not from me, but someone called him the Rob Ryan of OL coaches. Very apropos. The reputation far outweighs the results.

bighawk":lx1xdrbj said:
This is why they call it overreaction Monday. No defense will dominate being on the field for almost 40 minutes the offense must do its job and play smash mouth football I thought the defense played great except for Sherman trying to jump a route on Floyd. The offense isn't carrying its share of the load and I blame Cable for trying to convert guys into lineman and Bevell for his predictable play calling. Changes needs to be made.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
I don't see the USC comparison, but I do think that "players' coaches" types of coaches (which P.C. DEFINITELY falls under, maybe more so than any other competent coach in the NFL) more than other coaches have to grapple with a) things slowly breaking down over time and b) when things start to go south they can go south very, very quickly.

I don't think "B" is really a problem with this team (they're just too young and too talented to totally bottom out), but the effects of "A" I think might be starting to catch up with the Seahawks a little bit. For as good as they are, the Seahawks have got to be one of the least disciplined teams in the NFL, and even going back to last year while they were winning, it was getting worse. That's definitely a "player's coach" symptom that develops over time.

DeeHawks

Reaction score
Popeyejones":zs3ijotf said:
I don't see the USC comparison, but I do think that "players' coaches" types of coaches (which P.C. DEFINITELY falls under, maybe more so than any other competent coach in the NFL) more than other coaches have to grapple with a) things slowly breaking down over time and b) when things start to go south they can go south very, very quickly.

I don't think "B" is really a problem with this team (they're just too young and too talented to totally bottom out), but the effects of "A" I think might be starting to catch up with the Seahawks a little bit. For as good as they are, the Seahawks have got to be one of the least disciplined teams in the NFL, and even going back to last year while they were winning, it was getting worse. That's definitely a "player's coach" symptom that develops over time.
You make a good point Popeye. I think Pete being a "players coach" sometimes contributes to us playing undisciplined football.

Boycie

Reaction score
DeeHawks":py8s6g1v said:

I think this is one of those years where we take a step back, and have to part ways with one or two higher end talents on this team possibly via trade so we can stock up on picks in hopes of finding some low priced gems like we have done in the previous years. I think the team has lost it's hunger because they all have gotten paid and now they aren't maxxing out their effort because the motivation is gone. Getting to the top of the mountain is one thing, but keeping hungry, and motivated to stay there is a totally different thing.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
I think that the problems come from many places. Which is usually the case with losing teams.

- A boat load of players making a boat load of money. Might not be as hungry. Plus the impact on the ability to have a balanced team.

- A terrible OL

- No rhythm on offense. Very rarely.

- Unrelentng penalties

- Where has the LOB gone and who is inhabiting their bodies?

- Wilson's months long contract distraction

- Kam's distraction and holdout

- Post Super Bowl(s) loss of players

This season is probably toast. They'd have to go 7-0 or maybe 6-1 to even have a shot at the playoffs. Given what I have seen, I can't say that I see any reason to credibly think that they could do either. It would have to be a huge course correction. Look at it, they have lost to all of the good teams they have played (give me a pass on the Rams) and have only beat the crap teams. El Foldo.

Maybe the sting of this year will fuel a resurgence next year.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
There is no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It is not like we are getting blown out in every game and look like fools. The will to finish is gone. There is that spark that is missing. We have the players for the most part and we are in games even leading most in forth quarter. I really never believed the Super Bowl lose carried over but now I am not so sure. Yes its a bad year but we are not a bad team. I don't feel that one player or coach is to blame. I just hope we are a bit more immune to infighting than other teams but who knows. This is where it will begin if it does.

We are still not out of playoffs.

BELIEVE

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is on Pete, plain and simple.

Our talent hasn't changed, we're not crippled with any major injuries, our scheme hasn't changed. Yet it's now 10 weeks into the season and we're seeing the same undisciplined team making stupid mistakes, penalties and breakdowns on BOTH sides of the ball.

That my friends is coaching.

Pete's laissez faire style of coaching is starting to work against this team.

I'd also add in his continued stubbornness to wait until deep into 2nd halves to change the way the game's going. For 3 quarters all we did is rush 4, and watch Palmer pick apart our soft ass zone. For 3 quarters we continued to run the ball unsuccessfully with slow tempo.

Pete for all his attributes, and there are many is one of the most stubborn coaches I've ever seen. Pride, ego, I don't know what it is, but he absolutely REFUSES to change his schemes and in game tactics until sometimes it's too late......and for 5 losses this year, it's been too late.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32or5hfh said:

Our talent hasn't changed, we're not crippled with any major injuries, our scheme hasn't changed. Yet it's now 10 weeks into the season and we're seeing the same undisciplined team making stupid mistakes, penalties and breakdowns on BOTH sides of the ball.

I'd also add in his continued stubbornness to wait until deep into 2nd halves to change the way the game's going. For 3 quarters all we did is rush 4, and watch Palmer pick apart our soft ass zone. For 3 quarters we continued to run the ball unsuccessfully with slow tempo.

Pete for all his attributes, and there are many is one of the most stubborn coaches I've ever seen. Pride, ego, I don't know what it is, but he absolutely REFUSES to change his schemes and in game tactics until sometimes it's too late......and for 5 losses this year, it's been too late.

This is a good post and 100% correct. I would also add that his stubbornness with the coaching staff, and unwillingness to call out Bevell, has been unhelpful.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1wabsxu3 said:
This has been the least fun I've ever had as a Seahawks fan. We've had far worse records in the past, but it's hard to stomach this W-L record with the type of talent and expectations we have. It's beyond frustrating. I will always be a fan, but I gotta say; turning on the games on Sunday is an act of "well...I guess I'm gonna go through this again."

I can't speak for you, but I had way less fun watching the Hawks getting blown out every week in Holmgren's last year and Mora's only year. I'll take a disappointing competitive team like this over those teams any day of the week.

blue 22

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2vg3x8d9 said:

This. +10

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":28roslmn said:
It's just a bump in the road folks. If the proper changes are made in the coaching staff and players on the field they can get back to the dominating ways. Back to back Super Bowls is a rare thing, and the way the salary system is set up this is how the NFL wants it, have a couple of good years then back to the pack. If the dead weight is cut in the offseason in coaching staff and player wise no reason they cannot continue to be in the hunt for Super Bowls year after year.
The salary cap makes it so that you have to CONTINUE making good moves in order to stay good. It doesnt automatically make teams regress.

Too many people on this board have been using Schneider's first few years of success to dismiss criticism of him. I remember people saying that the Harvin debacle "isn't that bad because we have tons of cap space". I remember people saying that Schneider's failings in the 1st round don't matter because he makes up for it in the later rounds. Well, he hasn't been drafting stars in the later rounds like he did at first.

The last 2-3 years Schneider has actually been a BELOW-AVERAGE GM.

His greatest accomplishment lately has been to give out big contracts to the players that used to be cheap. When giving out big contracts is the best thing youve done lately then you are a LIABILITY.

None of our drafted players really got replaced with more recently drafted players. In the salary cap era you HAVE TO MOVE ON from players. In order to move on without taking a step back you have to CONTINUE hitting in the draft and making beneficial trades and signing the right guys for the right price in FA.

If Bill Belichick was making terrible moves like Schneider's been making they wouldn't be dominating still. The Pat's aren't living off a few moves they made years ago, they continue to make good trades (draftday or otherwise) and draft enough pieces that they dont have to give out big contracts to to everyone.

We need much much better management from the GM if we are going to continue to succeed in the salary cap era.