They don't call it a house of cards for nothing...

nsport

Reaction score
Dangerous (including ill-competent DangeRuss) offensive schemes has been a house of cards for the past few seasons with Russell Wilson.

Honestly, think back to our history with him. Hell - look at my avatar. The guy brought some serious swagger to a team that has honestly never had a true franchise QB. I think we all wanted him to be that, but he's just not quite it. Throughout his career, he's been uber-productive in college - and combined with this great defense he had won more games early in his career, including great production in the playoffs (what really counts) with a SB victory and damn near a 2nd one.

Point is... the Offense has been relying on a suspect (and stubborn) play caller (Bevell) who can't seem to call the right mix of plays to get our QB on the same page as the offense - at least on a regular cadence to sustain drives.

My initial thoughts for passing plays are: Take the snap, drop back. Look at 1 or maybe 2 reads. Escape trouble (or leave the pocket if no trouble exists), then try to scramble for yardage or find a guy on a broken route.

What needs to happen: Take the snap, progress through reads. - playcaller alert: read 1 should be obvious - read 2 should also be obvious ---- competent QB play alert: presnap read should tell you where to go with the ball. Once the read has been made, make the throw. Have the confidence in what you saw to throw a guy open (Kaepernick fail - and is now on the bench).

Running plays:
- While the read option is not the most pure NFL football play - it works. Why?
- Play action
- Deception
- Speed to the edges
- Power running inside
- They need to be committed to run blocking (without holding). It seems like every time they try to seal the end or pull to make a hole, there's a holding call. Blech.

Play Action:
- Commitment to the run opens up passing. I don't recall very many play action pass calls this year - I do recall lots and lots of shotgun snaps.

Critical mistakes:
This team is not good enough to overcome the fouls. I have a similar analogy with the Huskies this year - they are both really good teams if they don't make mistakes. They are not good enough to be a sloppy team.

Defense:
- The defense has made everything above this line work for the past few years. The fact the offense is not holding up their end means the defense has to play perfect - which they have not. Short drives in the 3rd and 4th qtrs has meant the TOP has been out of wack - last night 40 mins to 20 mins TOP. Unacceptable. All exacerbated by the house of cards on offense. If they get a couple of those things right, the defense is on the field for 6-8 minutes less.

I have lots more to say on these topics but the point is, if one or more of these improves, we win. We've had 4th qtr leads miraculously - the O needs to be more consistent and the defense will get some relief. Mistakes have to end so we can actually finish a game.

I gotta go to work now - I wish I could write for another hour and get it all out - but for now I feel like I got the framework of what I wanted to say out there.