My two pence on the loss and the bigger picture.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Whilst not completely inconceivable that this team could make the play-offs, it goes without saying that we're not the formidable force we've been over the past few seasons. Down the line, we need to rebuild, our defense will keep us competitive in most games, I know they gave up a lot of points in this one, but our offense gave them nothing; that's where the focus needs to be.

Jimmy Graham's a very good player, but he still doesn't feel like a Seahawk, we've all seen how good Russ can be with a bang average O-line, our aim should be to provide our biggest investment with at least that. Number 1 targets are a nice idea, but between Lockett, Baldwin and Richardson we've got some really cool receivers. If we can create the space to improve the line and keep Jimmy then great; we've got a really solid looking draft for O-linemen coming up, maybe we get lucky. That said, Jimmy is expendable, imo, if the expense goes to improving the line. We got to two Super Bowls with mediocre receivers, it's really not imperative to our success to have a guy like Jimmy.

Speaking of Russ, he needs to help us out more. From the couch, it's hard to tell whether it's his fault or Bevell's in situations, but they are both capable of making dumb decisions. There were points in the game and across the season where we make a solid gain of 4-5 yards on first down and follow it up with a low percentage throw on second down, obviously the pass play's on Bevell, but Russ doesn't have to make the throws. In the first quarter Russ threw one of these up to Chris Matthews after a nice gain on first down, it was incomplete and left us with a tricky 3rd down that we didn't convert. Just really dumb football. I know people are portioning some of the blame for Beast's 8 carries on drive killing penalties, but the opportunities to run the ball were there, and more importantly, they were there early on.

How many times do we comment on how much better we look in hurry-up? Before the season I seem to remember an article saying we'd go to it more but it's seldom been evident this season. I understand we like to dominate TOP, but we're just not achieving it like we used to. So far this year, our slow, stuttering offense is hindering our defense more than an up-tempo one could. It's not just there at the last 2 minutes of a half. I'm looking at Pete on this one, change it up, it ain't working.

Kam Chancellor probably won us a game this season, but he might have cost us two at the start of the year, and maybe last night too. He took a bad angle on Ellington's game-sealing TD run.

Cary Williams looked a bad move when it happened, but granted we needed someone. That said, we gave him a tidy contract and cutting him next season will still cost us plenty more than it should. He's just not very good, not his fault. The good news is Jeremy Lane's back soon, at the very least, our 3rd down defense will improve.

Paul Richardson is good enough to transform this offense, it's such a shame it seems he's not healthy enough. Let's hope that hammy heals quickly, that one play showed us exactly what we were missing.

And after all that negativity, I still think we can win out. We can't keep getting lessons and not learning from them. Thank god for San Francisco; a perfect game to try and get something meaningful going, again.

kearly

Reaction score
Corner has felt like a bigger issue than OL in the losses this season, Seattle is averaging 30.8 points allowed in their five losses and the QB rating against in those five games hurts to look at. This despite having what is the best pass rush and the best linebacking performance in the Pete Carroll era.

I think the interior of Seattle's OL is slowly getting back to where it was last season, but the tackle spots, especially right tackle, are struggling pretty bad. Gilliam still has seven games left to show something, but he's been worse this year than Britt was last year.

OP
OP
SomersetHawk

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2u7ne52m said:
Corner has felt like a bigger issue than OL in the losses this season, Seattle is averaging 30.8 points allowed in their five losses and the QB rating against in those five games hurts to look at. This despite having what is the best pass rush and the best linebacking performance in the Pete Carroll era.

I think the interior of Seattle's OL is slowly getting back to where it was last season, but the tackle spots, especially right tackle, are struggling pretty bad. Gilliam still has seven games left to show something, but he's been worse this year than Britt was last year.

You holding out hope of a big improvement once Lane returns? I'd also be interested to get your thoughts on Kris Richard?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3bfu1fwk said:
And after all that negativity, I still think we can win out. We can't keep getting lessons and not learning from them. Thank god for San Francisco; a perfect game to try and get something meaningful going, again.

I wish I had your optimism.............but the continued failure of Pete and the other coaches to correct the systemic fundamental breakdown problems going on right now, particularly in the defensive side is enough for me to say I don't think this team can right the ship and make a run right now.

These issues with this talent should have been fixed in week 3, so not sure what's going on, but it's not getting better. So right now I see a 9-7 team that's going to blow another 2-3 games they should have won.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is no way we are beating the Steelers.

We cannot reliably score offensive TDs. Our defense is better at scoring TDs than our offense (I count putting the ball on the 1 as a defensive TD).

The Steelers can score more in 1 Qtr than this team can score in 2 games.

My concern is if they can even keep it close, and it isn't like Wilson can throw 3 TDs in a game, so a high scoring game automatically favors them.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Some good posts on here... and then the typical "There is NO WAY" post that litters the days after losses.

You'd think one, maybe even two, threads would be enough to say the same thing.