RB Screens, where they at?

mrt144

Reaction score
When's the last time you saw an RB screen with OL blocking out front? I only ask because it seems like that'd be a way to counter the blitzes but...is our OL not capable of doing those?

Crizilla

Reaction score
Wilson hasn't learned to be elite against the blitz yet. Bevell hasn't learned how to call plays against the blitz yet.

We should be using Lockett as much as we used Tate. I think Tate is better but Lockett is the closest to him. I miss setting up screens for Tate. Dude is a baller.

marko358

Reaction score
Crizilla":2rbwk2ix said:
We should be using Lockett as much as we used Tate.

Is it just me or is Lockett becoming less of a factor as the season progresses? Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Barthawk":2lxww4qn said:
we should not do these mainly because that will just introduce the "illegal man downfield" penalty to our offensive arsenal.

That's cynical but likely true.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Wilson butt-fumble was supposed to be a screen. He aborted it. Don't know why.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3hahukyx said:
The Wilson butt-fumble was supposed to be a screen. He aborted it. Don't know why.

Haha, with OL blocking out front, not pinballing Wilson. Lol, now that I think about it, that Hardy INT was a screen that got blown up. LOL, we are that bad at them.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We've turned the ball over a lot on RB screens this year. Two INTs (GB and DAL) and a fumble/safety? It's been really bizarre as these are generally pretty safe plays.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
They tried running two RB screens in the first quarter and a half (couldn't rewatch any more).

The first was the play Russell almost got called for intentional grounding (and a safety). The second was the Russell fumble that led to a safety.

Yeah, we're not that good at running them. The Oline, RB, and QB never seem on the same page.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Besides that why don't we ever run jet?

Even as a distraction it would help.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
On the fumble/safety, it looked like the D-end got in front of Russell and he just lost sight of Lynch as a result. Getting the ball over D-ends seems to be the common theme on these turnovers. Hard to argue height isn't a factor there, but it's probably been some bad luck as well.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
I'd be interested to see if a draw or two would work. Maybe we're saving it for the playoffs. It hard for me to accept we have no counter to the incessant blitzing teams come at us with.

peppersjap

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1c73be8f said:
On the fumble/safety, it looked like the D-end got in front of Russell and he just lost sight of Lynch as a result. Getting the ball over D-ends seems to be the common theme on these turnovers. Hard to argue height isn't a factor there, but it's probably been some bad luck as well.
If Wilson takes a step up in the pocket on that play there is no issue but he rolled right into the defender. We were all over Palmer but he stepped up in the pocket narrowly avoiding numerous sacks.

justafan

Reaction score
They are the worst team I have ever seen at running a screen.Often times its almost unrecognizable what the play is.

Its one of my favorite plays but this team needs to rip out the page in the playbook

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
justafan":2xrd2viw said:
They are the worst team I have ever seen at running a screen.Often times its almost unrecognizable what the play is.

Its one of my favorite plays but this team needs to rip out the page in the playbook

Just watching some All-22 today and the uncalled intentional grounding in the first was a designed screen play. This is likely the reason I haven't 'seen' them. It looks just like a crap play that's DOA but the immense failure of blocking and allowing Lynch to get hit by two different Cards linemen while turning to look for the pass that never comes...