Russell Wilson is regressing - Article

2_0_6

Reaction score
As CBS' Ryan Wilson points out, Wilson hasn't made improvements as a pocket passer. Last year, Wilson took steps in becoming an improved pocket passer, making his signature scrambles all the more deadly. This year, he hasn't built upon his pocket passing as many people expected.

Soooo can you really improve pocket passing ability with no pocket?

iigakusei

Reaction score
Let's just hope it is an off year and he can improve in the off-season and next year. He definitely hasn't been good this year with many factors contributing to it. I thought last night was his worst game this year - not a good sign coming off a bye against a team you really needed to beat.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If we don't get a coach that can properly develop him, he's going to go the route of Kaep and RG3

kearly

Reaction score
Maybe Wilson is regressing but I wouldn't think that based on anything this article said.

Didn't the Seahawks have like 5 drops last night? I remember Graham having three. I think Wilson also had 5-6 throwaways due to lack of time.

I thought he played well other than a terrible deep throw that was picked. His near interception that came later might have also been bad, but it's hard to know if that one was more on Wilson or Graham.

I do think Wilson has regressed in the red zone, but between the 20s he looks the same to me as last year.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
"O'Neil reports that before the draft, teams wondered whether Wilson would develop quicker than expected and then stall out. This season, it's looking as if those scouting reports may have been accurate."

They did? I remember him being "to short" and what a bad decision it was for us to draft him in the 3rd round. Thought everyone was surprised when he became the starter week 2 of the preseason.

I'd be interested in what exactly was said in those team scouting reports and how many teams really thought the issue was "develop quicker than expected and then stall out". Did those same teams think the same about RGIII or was Russ the exception?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":15ulfnfp said:
As CBS' Ryan Wilson points out, Wilson hasn't made improvements as a pocket passer. Last year, Wilson took steps in becoming an improved pocket passer, making his signature scrambles all the more deadly. This year, he hasn't built upon his pocket passing as many people expected.

He has a pocket more often than is commonly acknowledged. He just doesn't stay in it.

Kearly":15ulfnfp said:
I thought he played well other than a terrible deep throw that was picked.

There was talk that Baldwin ran the wrong route on that one.

byau

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":3sgi0wfl said:
Hawk_Nation":3sgi0wfl said:

He has a pocket more often than is commonly acknowledged. He just doesn't stay in it.

Kearly":3sgi0wfl said:

You'll notice they look to have run the same play I think the very next drive and connected. One thing I admire about Russell and the Seahawks. How many teams would have had the guts to try the play again? That type of correction and guts still should be respected.

byau

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":39cbe7m8 said:
Hawk_Nation":39cbe7m8 said:

Kearly":39cbe7m8 said:

You'll notice they (Baldwin and Wilson) ran either the same play or similar play later in the game, in fact I think the very next drive and connected. One thing I admire about Russell and the Seahawks. How many teams would have had the guts to try the play again? That type of correction and guts still should be respected.

Overall, I would agree Russell is having a down year. Do I think it'll continue? Not in the long run. He's got a great head on his shoulders and he'll correct himself sooner or later.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I think Wilson's struggles this year just show how fine the line is between success and failure in the NFL, and especially for a quarterback. I believe the struggles to be a combination of many things.
10% - Russell's distractions over contracts, demands of a celebrity, and general focus challenges
40% - Poor and unpredictable O-Line play, from a half-baked O-line
10% - Familiarity and chemistry with receivers
10% - Marshawn Lynch not 100% for numerous games
30% - We've played very, very good teams, they've had better game plans for us, and been extra fired up
00% - Fire Bevell, he sucks. Except he sucks about the same as the previous 3 years.

If you look at these factors, we'll be fine once...
- Russell gets his full focus back (he's there now)
- The O-Line develops and sucks less, or at least sucks in ways Russell can predict and adjust for; it's slowly improving
- Russell gets the chemistry down better with Graham, Lockett, Richardson (already there with Baldwin and Kearse); he will soon.
- Lynch gets healthy enough to be a consistent factor; not holding my breath, and our rookie Rawls is doing nicely
- It does get a little easier from here out, but we've played down to other teams also
- Bevell isn't really the difference or the problem at this time, as much as he can suck; but if he improves he could be part of the solution.

Overall, the offense sucking is why we're 4-5. Our D is on the field way too much and gets worn down. A QB like Palmer with the terrific receivers he has, or Dalton and his receivers, can take advantage of a gassed Seahawks D.

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
The 2015 Seahawks team is the year without a pocket-so why can't the team coach Wilson to get the snap and step back one or two steps and fire the ball to a WR before the O line vanishes and Russell gets sacked? Andy Dalton did it last night during the Texans game. The lack or reacting to solving the problem at hand with having to play with a bad O-line is more disturbing than how Wilson has played this season. Of course, running the ball constantly would set up the pass play too. :eek:

I say Pete Carroll stays as coach for 2016 but his offensive coaching staff needs to have a have a shake up and fresh coaches have to come in for next year.

Mick063

Reaction score
No quarterback can withstand repeated 1st and 20.

He isn't playing his best, but his team is constantly putting him in a hole.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
His accuracy is off a bit this season, like others I'm beginning to wonder if he doesn't have a shoulder issue.

Maybe it's time for new QB coach?

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Russ is a tough guy. We've seen him get up from some big hits and shake them off. But it seems like he took one hit too many and is now playing scared. He's not climbing the pocket. The first sign of pressure he bails. He's hearing footsteps, seeing ghosts, etc. Hard to win when your QB doesn't trust his line and won't sit still and let routes develop.

Maybe moving the pocket is the solution to make him more comfortable? Maybe starting out in the two minute drill will settle him? Maybe going full Ground Chuck and only relying on him as a play action passer would work? After nine games we need a different approach.

Schadie001

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1zy0ocih said:
Hawk_Nation":1zy0ocih said:

Kearly":1zy0ocih said:

Not all pockets or QB's are created equal. Wilson will never be a stand tall Peyton Manning in the pocket and throw. First, he isn't tall enough to see the whole field and has to create passing lanes by moving. Next our line lets at least one defender to come through almost every play forcing Wilson to move more. Finally, Wilson creates plays with his legs and we get huge gains when we hits WR's making adjustments to him running.

Pete said Baldwin ran a perfect route and Wilson was supposed to throw to the middle of the field. it probably would have been a TD had he thrown to the inside instead of the outside where it was picked. That was just a bad throw.

Wilson isn't regressing, our offensive line isn't a force. Lynch gets hit in the backfield on nearly every run and Wilson is continually having to have eyes in the back of his head. Even with the pitiful lines we have had over the past couple of years, this one is by far the worst.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3m1wpwgm said:
His accuracy is off a bit this season, like others I'm beginning to wonder if he doesn't have a shoulder issue.

Maybe it's time for new QB coach?

This is the biggest thing I'm seeing this season. His short and medium accuracy is down from last year. He also has the yips about staying in the pocket, but I blame the lack of developing an OL on that as much as anything.

It's easy for us to tell him to stay in the pocket, but it's got to be hard to watch a few guys just get blown up often enough to make it a habit, then have to trust that guy when he actually makes a block 3 plays later, all while your eyes are supposed to be downfield.

Now, his pocket presence is getting worse. Running into Okung and fumbling the ball is quite honestly inexcusable.

HawkGA

Reaction score
olyfan63":1emyez0o said:
I think Wilson's struggles this year just show how fine the line is between success and failure in the NFL, and especially for a quarterback. I believe the struggles to be a combination of many things.
10% - Russell's distractions over contracts, demands of a celebrity, and general focus challenges
40% - Poor and unpredictable O-Line play, from a half-baked O-line
10% - Familiarity and chemistry with receivers
10% - Marshawn Lynch not 100% for numerous games
30% - We've played very, very good teams, they've had better game plans for us, and been extra fired up
00% - Fire Bevell, he sucks. Except he sucks about the same as the previous 3 years.

If you look at these factors, we'll be fine once...
- Russell gets his full focus back (he's there now)
- The O-Line develops and sucks less, or at least sucks in ways Russell can predict and adjust for; it's slowly improving
- Russell gets the chemistry down better with Graham, Lockett, Richardson (already there with Baldwin and Kearse); he will soon.
- Lynch gets healthy enough to be a consistent factor; not holding my breath, and our rookie Rawls is doing nicely
- It does get a little easier from here out, but we've played down to other teams also
- Bevell isn't really the difference or the problem at this time, as much as he can suck; but if he improves he could be part of the solution.

Overall, the offense sucking is why we're 4-5. Our D is on the field way too much and gets worn down. A QB like Palmer with the terrific receivers he has, or Dalton and his receivers, can take advantage of a gassed Seahawks D.

Except Bevell doesn't seem to be doing anything to account for those other factors. He's not calling plays that succeed. Maybe that's because of an execution issue, but at the point your players can't execute the plays you are calling, you need to start calling other plays.

I remember a game where the I-formation worked well. And another where the two tight end, roll-out worked well. Yep, one game for each of those. Not 9 games, a total of 2. We also need to see more of a quick hit passing attack. Maybe Bevell is calling them and Wilson just isn't throwing them but I have my doubts. Come to think of it, I think we did see one game where that happened too. Yep, just one game.

But if Bevell is calling for more quick passes and Russell isn't pulling the trigger, that needs to be fixed and quickly. It shouldn't be difficult to tell the QB to throw the darn football. Maybe tell him it's okay if it's picked, but just throw the ball.