should we draft a QB next year?

northseahawk

Reaction score
With a high pick next year?? Personally I think we should start looking for a capable backup that can replace Wilson if and looks like "when" ever needed.

With the way Wilson is playing, the tolerance for his horrible play might not last long. I feel like frustration is growing from the defense. The defense can't be on the field for this long and be expected to stop the people. Soon, with a few more loses, guys are gana come out and express their frustration with Wilson and this offense publicly. That's when things go bad and big changes need to be made.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wilson is not playing so badly that he can be easily replaced by a first-round draft pick. He is not playing ideally, but Wilson even at this level is better than more than half the league.

There are other factors dragging down Wilson as well. Fix those and see how he does. We've already invested in him; now let's protect our investment.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We need OL, CBs and an RB (heir apparent). An every-down TE would be good, too. Maybe we also stop evaluating our wide receivers solely on how good they are at making special teams tackles. We don't need studs, but we need guys who can replicate what Rice, Tate and Miller did for us.

Russ is struggling in a big way, but going forward, he is not close to my biggest concern. We need to start devoting the right capital to this offense and give him and our offensive coaches a chance to be successful. Our whole offense is so deficient of the type of talent it needs that it would be foolish to waste capital on obtaining backups for pieces we're good in.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Unfortunately we are stuck in a situation where Wilson is bad enough to even consider replacing, and he is not good enough to carry a team. We can win with Wilson, but I do not think he is worth the contract he received, even considering the inflation of contracts. I don't think he will ever be a player that is able to carry a team unless he fixes a few of his deficiencies. We really need him to elevate his play, and I'm wondering if we will ever see that from him --- especially in the offensive system that the Seahawks run.

That being said, we do need to look at drafting a QB, Tarvaris Jackson isn't getting any younger, and realistically I think the current team with Jackson would be under .500. I think it is also good to always have a developmental prospect, if one turns into a Schaub, Kolb, Cassel or what have you they could net some good picks.

drdiags

Reaction score
No.

The FO originally talked about always drafting a QB for development but I haven't seen that come to life since John and Pete have been here. QBs can go quickly from saviors to bums I guess but don't be in such a hurry to move on down the road.

I do think Wilson's elusiveness can be a double-edge sword but we could have the greatest QB of all time chosen as his replacement and never know it if the OL remains a sore spot.

peppersjap

Reaction score
The 1st 4 possessions were a 1st and 25, 2nd and 20, 2nd and 25 and a 1st and 20. There is not much they could have done with that. I'm not completely defending Wilson (his fumble was ridiculous, all he had to do was step up in the pocket). They scored on the 5th possession.

The defense is partly to blame for being on the field so much. They gave up time consuming long drives and 30 first downs. The defensive scores were great too but those put them right back on the field too so really not on Wilson or the offense.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
drdiags":13hq1fgh said:
No.

The FO originally talked about always drafting a QB for development but I haven't seen that come to life since John and Pete have been here. QBs can go quickly from saviors to bums I guess but don't be in such a hurry to move on down the road.

I do think Wilson's elusiveness can be a double-edge sword but we could have the greatest QB of all time chosen as his replacement and never know it if the OL remains a sore spot.
I've said this before, and I'll say it again --- yes while our O-Line hasn't been good this season, Wilson really does them no favors. He holds onto the ball longer than any QB in the league, he's not so good at beating the blitz without a scramble drill, and he usually starts in the shotgun and takes an aditional three step drop, which makes deflecting the lineman hard on our tackles.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
No, we've put the team in Wilson's hands and now we have to build around him. They can start by literally building around him with offensive linemen, or whatever lacross player Cable wants to invite to camp next year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
This one of the things the Seahawks have gone away the "always compete" mantra. No QB is pushing Russell Wilson. RW knows that. He's becoming more and more complacent as a result. It's human nature. He was battling with Matt Flynn to win the QB job his rookie year. He was motivated by the chance to win the SB his 2nd year. He tailed off a bit last season (after getting the SB ring).

Trevone Boykin would be a great fit in the Seahawk offense. He's athletic, taller than Wilson, and has a very good arm. He could be available in the 4th round or later. Maybe a guy like Boykin can push RW to be even better.

chris98251

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":7ezajmgw said:
Unfortunately we are stuck in a situation where Wilson is bad enough to even consider replacing, and he is not good enough to carry a team. We can win with Wilson, but I do not think he is worth the contract he received, even considering the inflation of contracts. I don't think he will ever be a player that is able to carry a team unless he fixes a few of his deficiencies. We really need him to elevate his play, and I'm wondering if we will ever see that from him --- especially in the offensive system that the Seahawks run.

That being said, we do need to look at drafting a QB, Tarvaris Jackson isn't getting any younger, and realistically I think the current team with Jackson would be under .500. I think it is also good to always have a developmental prospect, if one turns into a Schaub, Kolb, Cassel or what have you they could net some good picks.

Archie Manning was a great QB yet he could not carry N.O. either with a suck ass line and a bad OC, years of futility there, took years for Pastorini to get enough help as well, he was also a very good QB. How long could Dante' Culpepper or Randall Cunningham carry their teams when they had lousy lines and OC's that sacrificed their bodies. Lynn Dickie and Dan Makowski in Green Bay as well, we have to fix our two problems, O line and OC before we get into a trend of big contracts in the wrong places.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Another good prospect added through the draft would be a good thing, as it's time to develop a homespun backup instead of paying TJack $ 1mil + p.a.. Thing is finding that prospect later in the draft when there are higher priorities for the team is a tall order.

Frankly giving Wilson a pocket to reliably pass from should be the #1 priority.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I think the Hawks should draft a taller qb who can still move around the pocket and see if that is a better fit.

Does Wilson's extra scrambling ability help more than a taller qb's ability to see the whole field and throw to all areas of the field?

I would love to see what a pre-broken Kaep could do in our offense. Too bad he might be broken for good.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think Wilson needs to be pushed. And drafting a qb might help. But as long as we have the same OC Brady could come here and have the same result.

crosfam

Reaction score
I say we sign a young QB like EJ Manuel (who will get let go probably) to compete with Jackson. Just in case. Russell is our QB. Don't panic.

We need to draft where we need replacements/improvements. OL, RB, WR, and to replace defensive players like Irvin, Williams, who will be gone.