Per Twitter Seahawks are waiving WR Chris Mathews

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Wonder if they're calling up Kasen/Smith

I would hope they'd bring on a blocking TE instead to free up Graham as a WR.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'd be alright with a blocking TE rather than another WR.

timmat

Reaction score
I said it many weeks back - I bet he catches a lot of balls in the NFL at some point - it just won't be for the Hawks. As much as I wanted him to succeed here, he never would have with a QB like Wilson that needs to see 3-5yds of separation before throwing the ball. The separation Matthews has is the space above him - not the space between him and the defender. He showed it in the Super Bowl. I would have like to have seen some high-point balls to him NOT work before giving up on him. Tall receivers who get 1-on-1 coverage are great options for beating a pass rush where a QB needs to get rid of the ball quickly. Sound familiar? It burns me some that they never game him consistent targets to see that NOT work before throwing in the towel.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Waiving Matthews opens a spot for Jeremy Lane to be added to the active roster. They can always use Garry Gilliam or Alvin Bailey as a "blocking TE" if needed.

OP
OP
ospreyhawks

ospreyhawks

Reaction score
The problem with not adding another WR instead is we only have 3. I'm sure that will change before Sunday. I say this because I have a feeling Richardson will land on IR or be out a few with that hammy issue, either way 3 healthy receivers at this point.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Well B.J. Daniels is the most obvoius addition if they want another WR on the roster. Although perhaps they reward that Kevin Smith dude who was impressive in preseason as he's closer to the body type of a Chris Matthews than Daniels.

Hawks46

Reaction score
timmat":3rijhxc1 said:
I said it many weeks back - I bet he catches a lot of balls in the NFL at some point - it just won't be for the Hawks. As much as I wanted him to succeed here, he never would have with a QB like Wilson that needs to see 3-5yds of separation before throwing the ball. The separation Matthews has is the space above him - not the space between him and the defender. He showed it in the Super Bowl. I would have like to have seen some high-point balls to him NOT work before giving up on him. Tall receivers who get 1-on-1 coverage are great options for beating a pass rush where a QB needs to get rid of the ball quickly. Sound familiar? It burns me some that they never game him consistent targets to see that NOT work before throwing in the towel.

This. Not sure how he's supposed to produce a ton with his limited targets.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
timmat":1rzi8qp6 said:
Wasn't it that Russel guy that threw to him in the super bowl?

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
For inquiring minds...

Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 3m3 minutes ago
Seahawks have signed former UW Husky Kevin Smith to active roster to take place of the waived Chris Matthews.

RussB

Reaction score
Its official , just got a notification on my iphone from the seahawks app.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":1qqw1z3z said:
Well B.J. Daniels is the most obvoius addition if they want another WR on the roster. Although perhaps they reward that Kevin Smith dude who was impressive in preseason as he's closer to the body type of a Chris Matthews than Daniels.

Kevin Smith is a good addition because he also showed solid special team abilities in preseason. Backup punt returner or kickoff returner also if Hawks want to give Lockett a breather from time to time.

seahawks08

Reaction score
ospreyhawks":1dzxo30l said:
The problem with not adding another WR instead is we only have 3. I'm sure that will change before Sunday. I say this because I have a feeling Richardson will land on IR or be out a few with that hammy issue, either way 3 healthy receivers at this point.

I don't think we need WR's. (sarcasm on) With the offense not staying on the field for long, rather have more defensive players to rotate in and out:)

timmat

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2odxo59t said:
timmat":2odxo59t said:
Wasn't it that Russel guy that threw to him in the super bowl?

For one game Matthews received a legit number of targets. My point is I would have liked to see other examples of him receiving consistent targets AND NOT have it work before moving on from the guy. It seems they didn't like how he practiced and didn't see the 'progress' they were looking for. But maybe he'd be a guy that would play in games better than practice. But that could only be tested with some consistent targets - not one pass every two or three games. We'll see if another team gives him a shot.

On a team starved for offense, I would have just liked to have seen it attempted. Because my only point of reference was watching him make catches in the SB - on plays where he would not have been considered "open" in the traditional sense - over and over.

rcaido

Reaction score
This is a good move...Kevin Smith is what we need! If you aren't trying harder they will get someone who will. Got to get some hungry guys to push people again.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is absolutely hilarious, if not sad, that for a team that struggles so much in the RZ - the defense is they need a big WR and just cannot find one. Then they cut one. One that has already produced in important games and in regular season games.

It should also be pretty clear that as fantastic this team is in being able to identify effective CB or secondary talent, it is just as horrific in evaluating OL and WR. So it this team not being able to use him is no surprise. I am betting if he was 3 ft tall and 121 lbs, for some reason this staff would be pumping him as the next Steve Largent.

Disappointing because I have a feeling we will see him again, kind of how we saw Mr. Fells again.

Seems like a really odd roster move, considering how craptacular Wilson has looked - removing one of his larger targets doesn't seem like a pathway to getting things better.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":rn3oxaca said:
It is absolutely hilarious, if not sad, that for a team that struggles so much in the RZ - the defense is they need a big WR and just cannot find one. Then they cut one. One that has already produced in important games and in regular season games.

was it the one catch for 8 yards against St. Louis? or the one catch for 13 yards against Green Bay? 1 for 21 against Detroit? the 1 for 12 against Carolina?

Come on. He had one game in which he "produced." You can blame that on coaching if you want. but let's try and be honest with "production"