The case for Joe Philbin

sdog1981

Reaction score
I believe for this team to move forward and become the long term force in the NFL the team needs to hire Joe Philibin.

The main problem with this team is the complete disfunction on that is on the offense. Both Tom Cable and Bevell need to go. Cable needs to go because he can't develop linemen and Bevell needs to go because he has never been a key component to any high preforming offense in the league. Bevell got his start with Brad Childress in Wisconsin in a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type of team. When he did get a chance to coach a big time QB Brett Farve shut him down rather famously.

a brief rundown here:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/ ... -bowl-xlix

Tom Cable on the other hand has turned high school defensive linemen into very good offensive lineman during his longest coaching stay at Cal. Famously Tarik Glenn and Jeremy Newberry BUT he was never able to recruit or develop “normal” linemen during any of his stays at Oakland or Cal. He is also a major part of the Seahawks problems.

Rundown here:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... -tom-cable

Now for Joe Philbin. He got his big coaching start as a offensive line coach at Iowa from 1999 to 2002 during that time when Iowa was going 1-11 he was able to recruit low rated high school linemen and turn them into NFL linemen his entire 2001-2002 starting O lines where drafted. He turned Robert Gallery into a top 5 pick. Once he left Iowa he went to Green Bay as the O line coach he turned Chad Clifton (2rd) Mark Tauscher (7rd) into the top tackle tandem in the NFL got Mike Wahle to his only pro bowl as a guard. These Packer teams ran the ball, Ahman Green had his 1888 rushing yard season with Philbin coaching the line. In 2007 he took over as OC and with Mike McCarthy coached a balanced attack that Seahawks will remember for the 201 yard rushing performance from Ryan Grant in the playoffs. Even in Miami he was able to keep things going with his draft picks on the line (minus the John Martin thing) He was also able to get Mike Pouncy to switch mid season and make the pro bowl as a guard.

With his coaching combinations of offensive line history and balanced play calling I feel that Joe Philbin is the man to get the offensive side of the house in order.

Thanks for reading if you have made it this far.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Sounds interesting. I don't know much about him but you seem to make a good argument.

Make it so #1

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Two things -- I have no idea what that link to the Favre/Bevell angle proves. Favre was a meathead who cost the Vikings a chance to go to the Super Bowl because of his poor decision to throw across his body into double coverage. If he would've taken the open man (Bernard Berrian), which was drawn up by Bevell, the Vikes would have been in FG range for the decisive points in the fourth quarter.
Also, I really doubt Philbin would be ready to move on. I believe he had at least another year on his contract with the Fins and you realize those contracts are constructed so that if he takes another NFL job, he forfeits whatever his new contract is from what the Dolphins need to pay him. I think he'd likely rather just sit on the beach, as he's being paid either way.

Seafan

Reaction score
The problem with the Hawk offense is less about Bevell and more about Russell. Can Philbin devise an offense with a short QB who is indecisive and inaccurate who lacks pocket awareness playing behind a line that can't block long enough for him?

kobebryant

Reaction score
I like Philbin.

He's one of those very good, talented, and valuable football men that I really like who just isn't quality head coach material - like Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, Dick Lebeau, and Rex Ryan.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Philbin had pretty much nothing to do with player selection in Miami.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
This is all fine to point out, but we have to look at the offense and player development in Miami too. Did Ryan Tannehill progress at all? Did they make the most of what they had at the skill positions? Did they run the ball well? Did the O-line play well? Arguably no on all four cases. And in Seattle we need someone who can develop RW, make more of Jimmy Graham and co and run the ball with a good O-line.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I have to send this to my brother, who's a Dolphin fan. He'll laugh and laugh.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":ciuhuf92 said:
Two things -- I have no idea what that link to the Favre/Bevell angle proves. Favre was a meathead who cost the Vikings a chance to go to the Super Bowl because of his poor decision to throw across his body into double coverage. If he would've taken the open man (Bernard Berrian), which was drawn up by Bevell, the Vikes would have been in FG range for the decisive points in the fourth quarter.
Also, I really doubt Philbin would be ready to move on. I believe he had at least another year on his contract with the Fins and you realize those contracts are constructed so that if he takes another NFL job, he forfeits whatever his new contract is from what the Dolphins need to pay him. I think he'd likely rather just sit on the beach, as he's being paid either way.

Oh you and Bevell..

Did Favre call two consecutive run plays with 1 minute to go from the Saints 33(?) yard line in that game? What about the 12 men on the field penalty right after?

The only option Favre should have exercised in that situation was to run it. He should have. I doubt Bevell had that drawn up.

I'm done with Bevell after this season. He is not the reason we are 4-5. But he's not helped.

Boycie

Reaction score
sdog1981":3vssko4q said:
I believe for this team to move forward and become the long term force in the NFL the team needs to hire Joe Philibin.

The main problem with this team is the complete disfunction on that is on the offense. Both Tom Cable and Bevell need to go. Cable needs to go because he can't develop linemen and Bevell needs to go because he has never been a key component to any high preforming offense in the league. Bevell got his start with Brad Childress in Wisconsin in a 3 yards and a cloud of dust type of team. When he did get a chance to coach a big time QB Brett Farve shut him down rather famously.

a brief rundown here:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2015/ ... -bowl-xlix

Tom Cable on the other hand has turned high school defensive linemen into very good offensive lineman during his longest coaching stay at Cal. Famously Tarik Glenn and Jeremy Newberry BUT he was never able to recruit or develop “normal” linemen during any of his stays at Oakland or Cal. He is also a major part of the Seahawks problems.

Rundown here:

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... -tom-cable

Now for Joe Philbin. He got his big coaching start as a offensive line coach at Iowa from 1999 to 2002 during that time when Iowa was going 1-11 he was able to recruit low rated high school linemen and turn them into NFL linemen his entire 2001-2002 starting O lines where drafted. He turned Robert Gallery into a top 5 pick. Once he left Iowa he went to Green Bay as the O line coach he turned Chad Clifton (2rd) Mark Tauscher (7rd) into the top tackle tandem in the NFL got Mike Wahle to his only pro bowl as a guard. These Packer teams ran the ball, Ahman Green had his 1888 rushing yard season with Philbin coaching the line. In 2007 he took over as OC and with Mike McCarthy coached a balanced attack that Seahawks will remember for the 201 yard rushing performance from Ryan Grant in the playoffs. Even in Miami he was able to keep things going with his draft picks on the line (minus the John Martin thing) He was also able to get Mike Pouncy to switch mid season and make the pro bowl as a guard.

With his coaching combinations of offensive line history and balanced play calling I feel that Joe Philbin is the man to get the offensive side of the house in order.

Thanks for reading if you have made it this far.

Cable needs to go because he can't develop linemen? I think he has done a pretty good job with what he has been given. Look at what he has had to work with this year. I don't think Cable is the problem. I think the O-line problems are on JS, and PC because they chose to not address those issues in the drftt or free agency. We lost Carp, and Breno, and they were better than what we have there now. I know the cap had something to do with it, but we you can't blame Cable for that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":rwcs135i said:

You do realize that the reason this discussion started is that the Dolphins fired Philbin 3 weeks ago and Campbell has been coaching that team ?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1c2kay0a said:
Cable needs to go because he can't develop linemen? I think he has done a pretty good job with what he has been given. Look at what he has had to work with this year. I don't think Cable is the problem. I think the O-line problems are on JS, and PC because they chose to not address those issues in the drftt or free agency. We lost Carp, and Breno, and they were better than what we have there now. I know the cap had something to do with it, but we you can't blame Cable for that.

Cable has a huge hand in hand picking his linemen in the draft. Part of the reason we have all these late round projects is because Cable has said he prefers to take a raw guy and train him up from scratch rather than inherit an established lineman that has bad habits. So part of the problem is Cable's philosophy for building the O-line when he picks his players in the draft.

He's not just handed those guys by Pete and John and told to "work with what we give you." He has the guys he wanted.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":16b94qa4 said:
Siouxhawk":16b94qa4 said:

Oh you and Bevell..

Did Favre call two consecutive run plays with 1 minute to go from the Saints 33(?) yard line in that game? What about the 12 men on the field penalty right after?

The only option Favre should have exercised in that situation was to run it. He should have. I doubt Bevell had that drawn up.

I'm done with Bevell after this season. He is not the reason we are 4-5. But he's not helped.
Why wouldn't they run it with Adrian Peterson? Remember too that Favre's ankle swelled up to the size of a grapefruit after the game, so running it himself was pretty much out of the question. But he did have Berrian wide open at about the 23 and Longwell had been pretty accurate, so ... that one wasn't on Bevell.

I respect your opinion Si, but I'd rather see Bevell part of the solution here. I guess we'll see what the next 7 games bring.

Seymour

Reaction score
HawkFan72":4p90af5o said:
Ace_Rimmer":4p90af5o said:

Cable has a huge hand in hand picking his linemen in the draft. Part of the reason we have all these late round projects is because Cable has said he prefers to take a raw guy and train him up from scratch rather than inherit an established lineman that has bad habits. So part of the problem is Cable's philosophy for building the O-line when he picks his players in the draft.

He's not just handed those guys by Pete and John and told to "work with what we give you." He has the guys he wanted.

Agree. Cable is assistant head coach and no doubt has a big say in personnel. He has said in interviews the things he looks for in converting lineman which starts with intelligence believe it or not. He has also had several higher draft picks that have not worked out, all gone with the exception of Okung (who may also be gone?). Anyway, time for the Cable legend to move on IMO. All his years for both the Raiders and now the Hawks he has never had better than a #25 pass protecting line. Yes, run blocking is his strength, but with our weapons we need at least a near average Oline to really be able to move the sticks on a consistent basis.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawks46":3uog9ycn said:
Siouxhawk":3uog9ycn said:

You do realize that the reason this discussion started is that the Dolphins fired Philbin 3 weeks ago and Campbell has been coaching that team ?
No, he's too busy looking for every post on these boards that is in the least bit negative toward Bevell so he can defend him. Doesn't leave much time for actually knowing anything else about the rest of the NFL.

Chris Collinsworth, Greg Cosell, Brock Huard, Tyrone Mathieu, et. al. are not wrong about Bevell.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1u9vrj5j said:
This is all fine to point out, but we have to look at the offense and player development in Miami too. Did Ryan Tannehill progress at all? Did they make the most of what they had at the skill positions? Did they run the ball well? Did the O-line play well? Arguably no on all four cases. And in Seattle we need someone who can develop RW, make more of Jimmy Graham and co and run the ball with a good O-line.

Yes Tannehill did develop under Philbin. Remember Tannehill was a WR then back to QB by the time Philbin got to work with him. Miami had zero skill position players of any value when he took over. But they did draft and develop Jarvis Landry (2rd) and Rashard Matthews (7rd) and turned them into NFL starting caliber wideouts. They took Lamar Miller in the 4th and now he is a every down back. Phlinbin's calling card is Oline and QB development so yes I feel he is the right man for the job.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1t8s6jbw said:
I have to send this to my brother, who's a Dolphin fan. He'll laugh and laugh.

Please do because before Philbin the last time Miami did not have back to back losing seasons was 2001-2002. He may suck as a head coach but he could get this teams offensive house in order.

OP
OP
sdog1981

sdog1981

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3li72qf2 said:

Hit the nail on the head with this one. Once cable got here in 2011 the first two picks of the draft where two of his guys Carpenter and John Mofitt. Righter after he left Oakland started to draft O linemen that have actually stayed in the NFL. Cable just can not spot or develop talent. He has no track record of it.

Basis4day

Reaction score
sdog1981":j65xrky5 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":j65xrky5 said:

Yes Tannehill did develop under Philbin. Remember Tannehill was a WR then back to QB by the time Philbin got to work with him. Miami had zero skill position players of any value when he took over. But they did draft and develop Jarvis Landry (2rd) and Rashard Matthews (7rd) and turned them into NFL starting caliber wideouts. They took Lamar Miller in the 4th and now he is a every down back. Phlinbin's calling card is Oline and QB development so yes I feel he is the right man for the job.

So you don't think Tannehill switching O-Coordinators, playbooks, and his best statistical season in his third year had anything to do with Bill Lazor?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Seafan":oo0soovp said:
The problem with the Hawk offense is less about Bevell and more about Russell. Can Philbin devise an offense with a short QB who is indecisive and inaccurate who lacks pocket awareness playing behind a line that can't block long enough for him?

He isn't inaccurate. Rodgers looked worse on Sunday than he did.

His indecisiveness is partially a factor of the offense around him. If there's nowhere to go with the ball, you're going to see indecisiveness, and for good reason. Conservative might be a better word.

And if fans from the stands can see that Bevell is forgetting to install hot routes in his 3rd and long formations, then yes, I think someone else can do a better job.

Not Philbin, though.