What's our excuse?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The Niners lost their coach and most of their roster.

With an incompetent head coach and terrible front office, it shows it on the field for them.

So what's our excuse?

Same coach. Same offensive coordinator. New defensive coordinator. Players got paid.

Have Seahawks players just stop playing hard and for "each other."

Are they no longer "I'm in?"

2 years removed from winning a Super Bowl and going to the Bowl and within a yard or so of winning it back to back.

I cant believe this is the product we are left with on the field.

Is it coaching? I am frustrated that PC has not addressed and countered obvious flaws in the defensive schemes.

Why hasn't he? PC is supposed to be a defensive coach. Is it his pride? Is he stubborn?

Cover-3 has not worked all year.

Run game has not worked.

Pass game is absent.

We should not be losing these games but it's now a trend.

Why are we losing, what's our excuse?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Football is hard, even when you have all the right pieces.

ivotuk

Reaction score
1. These players have played more games and had longer seasons than anyone else.

2. Contracts came due, we paid them, were up against the cap and couldn't afford free agent guards or tackles.

3. Our DBs were still injured or recovering from injury

4. We couldn't afford to re-sign Byron Maxwell (I'm going to miss his interviews)

5. Marshawn is older and injuries catch up with a player. Especially with as many snaps and as long a season as he has had the past couple of years.

6. The schedule started out rough. On the road against good opponents who see us as their Superbowl. And at home versus 3 teams that are kicking ass in the NFL.

7. There's more, but I have to get back to work. :?

Laloosh

Reaction score
I think it's the negative posts. It's like Ghostbusters II. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Optimus25

Reaction score
to be fair, we've held good leads in the losses. The forty niners have flat out gotten stomped at times. Like bench ck stomped. Like Blaine gabbert is our best chance to win stomped.

The difference between us is vast. We could be contenders for years. They have about three years, IF they draft successfully, before they can sniff .500.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Other teams want to win too. The 31 other teams in the NFL don't give a hoot if the Seahawks are in the middle of a "dynasty window".

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Our excuse is that this just isn't our year. We're not entitled to anything just because we look strong on paper. If other capable teams play us with all they got while we aren't in the right mindset it's no surprise we lose.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1wv8hqgl said:
Our excuse is that this just isn't our year. We're not entitled to anything just because we look strong on paper. If other capable teams play us with all they got while we aren't in the right mindset it's no surprise we lose.

Just want to say, the year ain't over yet.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
A lot of things. I think the biggest thing is a lack of hunger. The team used to have a chip on its shoulders, they used to play angry. Not so much anymore. They all got paid, all are doing commercials, dating celebrities etc.

Look at Major League 2. When Ricky Vaughn, got contacts, had a normal hair cut and ditched the leather jacket.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It isn't one thing. It is several, which is what makes it hard to overcome.

It has already been pointed out that Cover-3 is beatable. The recipe always was to rely on the defense to hold the other team down, beat on them with the RB, and then take long shots or go RO with the QB for long runs. (The vaunted "explosive play" Carroll loves) The long shots would open up the run game, allowing Marshawn to victimize them or break out a few times in the 2nd or 3rd, that would pack in all the safeties & LBs - which would lead to more passes for big gains against single coverage. Because our receivers were great at fighting for the ball in single coverage.

Our offense was run first and for several years was at or near the top in rush offense ratings. Passing was really middle of the road, 15th or lower I believe.

So here comes cascading failures....

The defense can no longer hold the other team scoreless, so the offense has more pressure but is even less consistent than before (and it wasn't even that consistent then). That means we have to pass more, which is harder because the play action is gone. Marshawn is no longer unstoppable, just very good. Which means the safeties can stay back, making the pass game more difficult and removing those long passes we fed off to demoralize the other team. Those were often possible because the safeties had to worry about Marshawn.

Continual failures by the offense tires out the defense, rendering them less effective. More important, key weaknesses in the defense are easy to exploit, so the opposing team can be more aggressive, take chances and often still move the ball. In the past, mistakes became picks and changed the possession (SB year at least 1 in 5 opponent drives ended in a TO). For example, Cary Williams is covering a receiver you can throw it anyway since he isn't going to pick it, likely will not even play the ball in the air. And Sherman is missing on bad passes he used to pick off too.

Losing our run game made our defense weaker. A defense that people have already found the holes in.

The bottomline is that this team relied on the defense to hold the opposing team in check, the run game kept the defense rested enough to do that job, and the passing game kept the run game effective/converted when it had to. We won with defense. We aren't the same defense now but we also don't have the ability to win with offense.

The defense no longer can be relied on to keep the opposing team from scoring on drive after drive, and the offense is not consistent enough to match the other team. Worse, the pass game is substandard but our team consistently tries to push the pass, which puts the team into bigger holes as the ball goes back, the defense is forced back onto the field (to give up another score) and if we do score - often it is FGs while the other team gets TDs.

We were a great run team with a great defense that is pushing to turn into a pass oriented team with a good defense but there are problems with the WRs, the QB, OC and OL that hinder that. Our response appears to be to double down on what appears to be a weakness not a strength.

Considering all that, it is amazing we are not worse. (Then I remember we almost lost the Lions at home...)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
1. The way that SB49 ended... the hangover continues... even if the coaches and players won't admit it. The dynasty that wasn't.
2. Chancellor's hold out... a stupid waste of energy and emotion.
3. Sherm's lack of intensity and swagger... too much time spent with his son and too little spent on football?
4. Ciara's influence on Wilson... too much time spent with her and too little time spent on football?
5. Wilson's prolonged contract extension... an energy and emotion black hole for a while.
6. Bevell's inability to make Graham an asset instead of a liability.
7. Britt changing positions, new center(s) and Gilliam changing positions from TE to RT... too much change.
8. Bennett grousing about his contract. Irvin grousing about the team not picking up his 5th year option.

There's more but that's enough for now.

cHawkPhan

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3vljo5h3 said:

With an incompetent head coach and terrible front office, it shows it on the field for them.

So what's our excuse?

Same coach. Same offensive coordinator. New defensive coordinator. Players got paid.

2 years removed from winning a Super Bowl and going to the Bowl and within a yard or so of winning it back to back.

Is it coaching? I am frustrated that PC has not addressed and countered obvious flaws in the defensive schemes.

Why hasn't he? PC is supposed to be a defensive coach. Is it his pride? Is he stubborn?

Run game has not worked.

Pass game is absent.

You partly answered the question right off he bat;
Same offensive coordinator - right or wrong, fans are over DB, I think some of the players are starting to question his play calling also, but most importantly, other defenses know what plays we run, we have different players, but the same plays for the most part. We have been unable to incorporate our biggest offseason addition into the offense - it has been a subtraction by addition scenario so far

New Defensive coordinator - I think the thing many people have overlooked is that Dan Quinn is in Atlanta turning a team around while his successor has helped coach his team to five 4th quarter lead losses. Late play calling, poor communication, and lousy schemes and/or blown assignments have all played part

Players getting paid - B-I-N-G-O! We suddenly have a lot of high paid players on this team; and some of those are not the best, or shall I say most productive, players on the team. Players are starting to get paid, others are jealous, and then some who are making great money and still think they are underpaid. In addition to the QB, we took on two high salaries who have thusfar proved an ineffective placement of cap space. Bennett starts talking he needed more money and Kam holding threatens and starts a hold out. Kam is the best strong safety in the league, but I'm not sure he's not still a little upset with the front office and it could be playing out on the field - I'd probably be a little pissed too if we signed some mediocre cornerback for more $$$ than the "Boom" of the legion is making. ...or a TE who as a team we have called soft, and really hasn't proved that to be wrong thus far
I still am a little pissed that he wasted the whole training camp when Kam could have been learning how to cover a (supposed) elite TE. It has been one area we have struggled with for years.
As far as Bennett wanting to be paid like a top DE - well the top paid DE's do not repeatedly cost their teams near as many plays and free downs due to penalties - If you can fix the penalties and still produce, we'll talk, but until then....

Overall I think the offense is most of the problem.
Lets start from the snap - we let our best (when healthy) offensive lineman go for a non-blocking TE on a team that focuses on running the ball. How was this supposed to work? I know JG was picked up to be a big target and goal line threat, but if you can't get down there, then this was a wasted trade - personally I think Luke Willson would put up numbers just like JG did in NO if he played for the Saints...and he's a better blocker.

The OL - We need to stop thinking we can develop OL and start drafting top quality OLmen. If we had a line like the Cowboys, we would absolutely dominate in the run game, which opens up the whole offense, eats time off the clock and allows the defense to stay well rested so they don't give up those late fourth quarter scores

RW - no doubt he has to take some blame for the poor performance of the offense. He has had more missed throws and turnovers this year and has been bailing out of the pocked early, basically running scared because he can not trust his OL to block the pass rushers. Does Russell spend the time he used to in the facility? This I do not know, but would think, when your pay raises 15X, you should spend even more time at the "office".

The Run game - again, no blocking TE on the field most of the time, a poor and inexperienced OL and a RB who may be starting to show his age - He's still shown explosions of beast mode, but behind this line, I think he does not trust the hole will be there or it's just not there, and I do think it affects his effort at times.

PENALTIES - Both Offense and Defense are to blame here - just way too many penalties

We need to find solutions and quit looking for excuses. Go Hawks!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The loudest squalling birds in the nest got the most feeding, while the rest in the nest were left with scraps to fight over.

It has NOTHING to do with Wilson's relationship with Ciara, and it's silly to even consider that as a factor.
It also has NOTHING to do with Sherman becoming a new Daddy.
It's almost comical that some around here are making those assumptions...Almost.

There ARE a lot of things that AREN'T clicking.
We have some new players in KEY positions, both Offense & Defense, that aren't up to grade YET.
The O-Line is still in a churn and NOT ready for the likes of competition that they've had to square off against.
Russell Wilson is EXPECTED to put this ^ INEPT Offense on his back, and carry it, and DO IT without the help of his ELITE side kick, Marshawn Lynch?

Defense....Nobody can honestly believe that they can consistently hold up to being on the field for the majority of the time (TOP), ESPECIALLY in the 4th quarter, without running out of gas.
Lots of moving parts, and not all in synch.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
They simply don't care. No passion .... Fame/celebrity/money has killed the team

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
cHawkPhan":1186gf3f said:
TheLegendOfBoom":1186gf3f said:

So what's our excuse?

Run game has not worked.

Pass game is absent.

New Defensive coordinator - I think the thing many people have overlooked is that Dan Quinn is in Atlanta turning a team around while his successor has helped coach his team to five 4th quarter lead losses. Late play calling, poor communication, and lousy schemes and/or blown assignments have all played part

I believe one of the major issues this year has been the loss of both Dan Quinn AND Ken Norton Jr. Those two losses, along with the other changes on the defensive coaching staff have made a massive difference, We have added new this season:

Michael Barrow - LB
Dwaine Board - DL
Chris Cash - CB
Andre Curtis - Safety (you also notice that we do not have a "DB Coach" any longer - but job has been divided)
Lofa Tatupu - Assistant LB
Both Rocky Seto and Kris Richard have new titles and responsibilities on defense

The only coach that has remained the same on the defense has been Travis Jones, DL coach.

All of this change has to account for some of the problems, correct?

I do expect to see some defensive coaching changes at the end of the season if we do not see more consistency

minormillikin

Reaction score
A slightly different roster and coaching staff means a slightly different team. Even if the team looks better on paper, it's still different and will have different results.

In each of the 5 losses, a slightly better performance (one more first down, a couple fewer penalties, one more defensive stop) would have been the difference.

A little more cohesion, some luck (balls bouncing and calls favoring us), or just a 3% improvement across the board might be the difference between 4-5 and 9-0.

seahawks08

Reaction score
Fix the run, everything else will fall in place. We need to run the ball, keep running. We are becoming one dimensional which is making defenses happy. Run the ball, run the ball and run the ball. I don't mind we keep doing that till the Oline figures it out. I don't care about points, I care of time of possession. Keep running and make an occasional big play pass.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As with most complicated questions, the reasons are also complicated. It's not just one thing, it's many.

- Horrible O-line
- QB that's struggling behind that horrible O-line
- weakened RB core due to age and injury
- Kam's holdout
- Williams not playing as well as Maxwell
- No Lane
- No Simon for depth and competition for Williams
- Teams starting to successfully gameplan for our cover 3 scheme
- Miscommunication issues
- Inconsistency with aggressiveness and passion for the game, especially on the defensive side
- Pete's stubbornness to change in game tactics

Did I miss anything?