Is Wislon a franchise QB?

• Yes Russ is a franchise QB

Votes: 233 85.0%
  • No Russ is not a franchise QB

Votes: 41 15.0%

• Total voters

seabowl

Reaction score
Lots of opinions on this board back and fourth about whether or not Russ is a top QB worthy of his contract or is he just average and maybe only a game manager. Well in this poll you say yay or nay- there is no in between. My vote is ABSOLUTELY YES and think that he is a victim of the horrible OL, horrible OC and at this point, he is just shell shocked as most QB's would be. What do you say?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I say yes, but very tenatively. I made a thread awhile back posing the question as to whether or not he is worth paying a large contract to. He's above replacement level, and I sure as hell would rather have our QB situation than many other teams in the NFL. That being said I'm not that impressed by him as a QB. He thrives off of chaos, and dissaray, but he seems to struggle when he tries to stray from his backyard style of football. His style is unique, but it has also hindered his progression as a QB.

Instead of developing that internal clock that starts sounding when a pass rusher is bearing down on him, Wilson will try to evade the defender even when the situation does not call for it, because he was able to get away with that kind of play due to his unique talents. Now we see teams taking a more disciplined approach against him. They are playing a game of containment, and letting him hold onto the ball, but not letting him have the space that he is accustomed to in the open field. Wilson's ball placement on certain routes is very questionable. I'm seeing a lot of balls thrown behind his receivers, especially on slant routes. I'm seeing a lot of receivers having to stop their routes part way through because the ball was not thrown in stride. He doesn't seem to get the concept of throwing to a space, and trusting the receiver to be there -- which is something all of the big time QB's in the league do on a regular basis, especially Tom Brady. Graham eluded to this the first couple of games he was a Seahawk.

While yes our line is not playing its best, I do not see Wilson helping them out. He is walking himself into sacks, trying to take off up the middle of the field, and being stopped behind the LOS for a sack when there is a perfectly good pocket. I see him holding onto the ball for way too long and hanging on the outer edge of the pocket, giving the pass rushers a good trajectory to lay Wilson out. I think Wilson is one of the best playmakers in the game but he really lacks in consistency, and has some gaping holes in his game. He will make plays, and won't turn the ball over, but there will also be a lot of missed opportunities, and stalled drives to go along with the good.

That being said, I do not think he is in a good offense to fit his style. I do not think Bevell is the right guy to help Wilson grow. I think that Wilson is a QB that needs a specific offense around him to succeed, and I don't think Bevell's offense is the correct system to do that.

AVL

Reaction score
Is a game manager better or worse than average? Play making game manager anyone?

I think he is a damn good game manager most of the time. Consistency has always been a problem, not that unusual with most quarterbacks.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
The '12-'14 Wilson was without a doubt a franchise qb. He so often simply willed this team to victory with his legs, clutch deep throws, improvisation and guts. He was dedicated to improving his craft and would usually rise on the biggest stages. I think players believed in his unique ability.

The '15 Wilson does not exhibit those same traits. His regression has become appalling and many have questioned his focus. With a better OL he's surely to improve, but I wonder how many of his teammates completely trust him now. He's been far from clutch, his pre-snap reads have been questionable, his accuracy is off on deep passes and he hangs on to the ball longer than rookie quarterbacks. And I have no idea what's going on in his head. Frankly, that Mexico modeling exhibition or whatever the hell it was is just embarrassing.

A qb worthy of an organization devoting years and years to will be able to compartmentalize the devotion to his craft, his endorsements and off the field branding, his personal life, as well as the mindset to handle criticism, external pressures and show steady and improved growth on the field as well as a leader-the players must simply trust him. It's up to Wilson now.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I see it this way. The ownership, coaches and fans can recognize the obvious; RW is a special QB in the NFL and enjoy the next 12-14 years of championships and SuperBowl dynasty.
Or they can listen to the doubters, create a QB controversy and "search" for the other fictional franchise QB and wallow in loser seasons for the next decade.
Your choice.

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1hn38pak said:
I would so love to see what he would do with an above average o-line protecting him rather than a dumpster fire.

well the best online he had was ranked 22nd and we won the SB that year. Current oline is dead last. I think all the hits have taken their toll, I think Kearse allowing 3 of the 4 int in the NFCCG, and the way the Sb ended, and the fact his OC takes no responsibility for anything, along with the constant no TO, no chances in his ear by his HC have taken their toll on him. I also think the constant taking the foot off the pedal when we get a lead hurts as that make it hard to maintain a rhythm or aggressiveness. Some of it is him, but I think it is a by product of all the above. Look at what has happened to Rodgers now that his oline went in the crapper. Look at Brady a few years ago while Gronk was out. All QBs need help and he is not getting much but he is getting the finger pointed, and an OC who blames everyone but himself.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Viewing strictly from a "current state" point of view and not considering past seasons or future potential, I say that right now on this team in this season at this particular point he is not a franchise QB.

In the situations in which a franchise QB is required to make plays to convert 3rd downs and keep his offense alive to keep his defense off the field, Wilson has not achieved to the level of a franchise QB.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Actually surprised at the results with most saying yes Russell is a franchise QB especially with all the Russ backlash here.

bandiger

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1lr3kchh said:
I would so love to see what he would do with an above average o-line protecting him rather than a dumpster fire.

True, the only time he had a somewhat average Oline was in his rookie year with a ton of vets and pro-bowlers. Now its all just projects, rookies, and an inconsistent use to be pro bowl vet. I get it, Wilson was paid for the wins and performing in these 4th quarters.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
bandiger":2qvgjndr said:
hawksfansinceday1":2qvgjndr said:

True, the only time he had a somewhat average Oline was in his rookie year with a ton of vets and pro-bowlers. Now its all just projects, rookies, and an inconsistent use to be pro bowl vet. I get it, Wilson was paid for the wins and performing in these 4th quarters.

The problem of course, is that while we need a better oline to protect Russ, its going to be difficult to do because of his contract (combined with all of the other fat contracts we have out to a few other key players).

When you have a QB that demands franchise money, filling out the rest of your roster becomes challenging.

Hence the reason many wondered if it was wise to give Russ what he wanted.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Hawkpower":e5r0moh2 said:
bandiger":e5r0moh2 said:
hawksfansinceday1":e5r0moh2 said:

The problem of course, is that while we need a better oline to protect Russ, its going to be difficult to do because of his contract (combined with all of the other fat contracts we have out to a few other key players).

When you have a QB that demands franchise money, filling out the rest of your roster becomes challenging.

On you last comment it was not even a question. Before Russ we had never had nor paid for a franchise QB. Once you get one (and he is IMO) you have to pay him franchise money or he walks. We saw for almost 40 years what it was Ike not having one. Anyone want to go back to that?

Cartire

Reaction score
Yep. I'm done.

.net is a cesspool of "what have you done for me lately".

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkpower":12uchdbt said:
bandiger":12uchdbt said:
hawksfansinceday1":12uchdbt said:

Only problem is that is BS. we have had Wilson on the cheap for 3 years and did not improve the oline, His cap hit this year is only 7 mil we did nothing to improve the oline, His cap hit any year during his contract with the cap going up like it is will never be so high we cannot spend money to improve the oline, The fact is they do not want to. As to wise to give Wilson what he wanted, that statement is pretty silly. The facts say it was.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seabowl":1trn2x01 said:
Actually surprised at the results with most saying yes Russell is a franchise QB especially with all the Russ backlash here.

That's because most people in here was on board and giving accolades when he was winning, and now?, it has to be HIS and HIS ONLY fault for the loses.
Meanwhile, Carroll, Cable and Bevell are skating free of taking their fair share of the blame for the MULTIPLE REASONS for the whole damned thing going off the rails.
Lowest common denominator?..........Russell Wilson

Lots of moving parts, plenty of blame to go around.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
scutterhawk":z07ponb5 said:
seabowl":z07ponb5 said:

That's because most people in here was on board and giving accolades when he was winning, and now?, it has to be HIS and HIS ONLY fault for the loses.
Meanwhile, Carroll, Cable and Bevell are skating free of taking their fair share of the blame for the MULTIPLE REASONS for the whole damned thing going off the rails.

Pretty sure Bevell would disagree that he has skated free of criticism on this board.

Just to reiterate:

Fire Bevell!!!!!!!!!

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
This post is premature lets have it at the end of the year so i didn't vote. But also we need to be more specific that's to vague a term.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3b1bbg3k said:
seabowl":3b1bbg3k said:

The poll in this thread is "Russell Wilson - Franchise QB", not "Darrell Bevell..." or "Pete Carroll..." or "Tom Cable..."

If I respond to the thread, on the topic of the thread, it does not mean I ignore the contributions of the OL and play-calling. I'm just not so blind that I can't see our QB's issues *in addition* to the other factors.

He's having a good day against the 49ers, being more decisive, taking short passes on offer, and getting rid of the ball quicker - all the things I've been complaining about. I am glad to see him having a good game. I hope it continues through the season, and if it does I will change my tune.