Bevell!

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Good job.
When we got behind the sticks, other than one ugly screen, the playcalling was on schedule. He fed the hot hands. Other than a couple of dial em up max protect deep shots, Russ had hot read options on most plays. There were some rhythm plays, Russ hits his back foot and the ball is out. The blitz was no problem. when we got inside the 30 we didn't all of the sudden switch personalities, and when OL player after OL player went out, he stuck with what had worked.

This was the best offensive effort in two years from the standpoint of situational playcalling.

Diezel Dawg

Reaction score
I have to agree with this. As much as I criticize Bevell myself, a lot of it comes down to execution. Maybe, just maybe, this offensive line is starting to come around.

Just need the defense to take advantage of those potential INTs that they have had. They have had multiple in the last few games.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":38pcz7or said:
I have to agree with this. As much as I criticize Bevell myself, a lot of it comes down to execution. Maybe, just maybe, this offensive line is starting to come around.

Just need the defense to take advantage of those potential INTs that they have had. They have had multiple in the last few games.
I can think of a half dozen WTF playcalls from the Cards game. I have trouble thinking of more than one from yesterday.

Optimus25

Reaction score
From what i saw we established the run, used Jimmy in critical third downs, utilized the running backs to slip out and get behind defensive pressure, and had russ running aggressive early instead of only on GW drive at end of game.

Bevell must be a lurker.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Not giving Bevell any credit. This is against a weak 49ers defense

Bwarren

Reaction score
Can't justify Bevell's existence with one win over a lousy team. The Oline isn't shaping up its just Rawls gets to the hole ten times faster than Lynch. Line is still a disaster

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not a big Bevell fan but loved what he did yesterday. Got the ball out quickly, we'll timed deep shots, utilized Rawls out of the backfield and committed to the run. Loved it.

pmedic920

Reaction score
dopeboy206":auvx46cq said:

You are missing the spirit of the post.

It's about finally having some plays called the fit what we do well. Plays that utilized our guys talent. Plays that met the needs of the situation at hand.

Imagine for a moment if.......

Boycie

Reaction score
dopeboy206":mvbaecz8 said:

We ran the bubble screens, and they seemed to work against the Niners, but their tackling is atrocious. Baldwin had 4 guys around him, and they all missed. I will take this win with a grain of salt because of the opponent. We will see next week against the Steelers. I am feeling a lot better this morning than I did last Monday morning though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":1us86x9t said:
dopeboy206":1us86x9t said:

We ran the bubble screens, and they seemed to work against the Niners, but their tackling is atrocious. Baldwin had 4 guys around him, and they all missed. I will take this win with a grain of salt because of the opponent. We will see next week against the Steelers. I am feeling a lot better this morning than I did last Monday morning though.

That was all Doug Baldwin. He was patient with his runs, and the defenders couldn't line up on him directly. Not bad tackling like the announcer kept trying to claim, but great moves.

gcolby

Reaction score
Diezel Dawg":3kgfgwf6 said:

Agreed.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":itb3br6v said:
dopeboy206":itb3br6v said:

Unreal.

I'm being honest though. The 49ers are a horrible tackling team, their secondary isn't great. Until he continues to do it consistently I'm not giving him any credit.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Amazing what happens when the O-Line doesn't rack up the penalties.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Some of you can't be pleased. sigh.

Bevell cannot choose the opponent. But he can call good situational football. Yesterday he made the game a lot less about tricking the defense and a lot more about getting the ball into the hands of playmakers. The deep shots were there, but were also situationally chosen deep shots.

Yes the Niners tackled poorly. But Lockett, Rawls, and Baldwin are tough to get hands on. Quick athletes in space.

In previous games vs bad competition, we have played down to their level and barely won games. Part of it was poor situational football. That was not the case yesterday.

Also, one of the main complaints about our offense is how poorly we utilize the middle of the field. Not the case yesterday.

mrt144

Reaction score
Bevell really just needs a dude on the sideline to remind him "You can rely on some action over the middle and RW to call a bubble screen at the line on a blitz"

Maybe just reminders in Outlook to go off at specific times on the Surface 3 tablets

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
The broadcasters had a point yesterday. When the offense is in rhythm and executing, Bevell is one of the best play callers. It doesn't help him much that his receivers drop quite a few balls.

mrt144

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2p0lhslb said:
The broadcasters had a point yesterday. When the offense is in rhythm and executing, Bevell is one of the best play callers. It doesn't help him much that his receivers drop quite a few balls.

For as much as he doesn't take blame, he certainly seems to get inside his own head when things ARENT working.

RussB

Reaction score
Bevell can call some dumb plays. But he got way too much blame this season, its not bevells fault when the o line isnt blocking well. The blocking was pretty solid yesterday and the playcalling was great to be honest. Hawks went back to running the ball wich made passing alot easier.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They were definitely improved in the red zone. Plus scoring TDs on each of their first three drives.