Lynch: 17%
Rawls: 5%

Rushes for zero or negative yardage by direction:
Ex55yUu

Yards per attempt by direction:
8twt6ov

Attempts by direction
AnNXDHh

Marshawn's average is better up the middle. Most runs go up the middle for him. Rawls's average is better outside but his runs are more evenly distributed.

Say what you will but I think Rawls's speed and ability to bounce it outside have been more beneficial with this OL. Will look at the all 22 this week and see but I seem to recall hearing the announcers mention that Rawls had something like 2.7 yards before contact so far this season (behind that OL, I think that's fantastic). Lynch doesn't have the quicks to make an overly aggressive run defense pay this season imo.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":1cq57dvj said:
Carries
Lynch: 110
Rawls: 101

Stuffed %

Ex55yUu

8twt6ov

Attempts by direction
AnNXDHh

Marshawn's average is better up the middle. Most runs go up the middle for him. Rawls's average is better outside but his runs are more evenly distributed.

Say what you will but I think Rawls's speed and ability to bounce it outside have been more beneficial with this OL. Will look at the all 22 this week and see but I seem to recall hearing the announcers mention that Rawls had something like 2.7 yards before contact so far this season (behind that OL, I think that's fantastic). Lynch doesn't have the quicks to make an overly aggressive run defense pay this season imo.

There were so many big runs (10+ yds) for Rawls on Sunday where I told myself, if that were Beast, he'd break that last tackle (or two) and be gone for a touchdown. BUT at the same time I feel like if it wasn't Rawls running on Sunday, Beast wouldn't have even got as far as Rawls did and probably would have been stopped after the first 2-4 yards.

White Devil

Reaction score
It's my own personal opinion, but it seems to me that Rawls hits the hole the way Cable likes. No "stomping snakes". This could be because he's a rookie and is still doing what the coaches ask of him. Lynch as a vet has relied on his instincts longer and doesn't have the confidence that the line will create a hole for him. He's been hesitant at the line of scrimmage all season. I don't blame him.

With Rawls being young and wanting to please his coaches, he's hitting the line of scrimmage at speed and creating the separation he needs.

Now, in no way is that a knock on Lynch. He doesn't have confidence in the line and it's showing in his carries.

Either way the future is bright for him and us, I think. The quickness of Michael, with the strength of Turbin, shows why they felt they could release both of those guys. Rawls is the back they've been searching for to take over when it's time.

I'm very happy with the way Rawls runs. If he keeps his head straight and continues to run angry, he's going to make a bunch of money.

mrt144

Reaction score
Well part of it is Lynch has really relied on the cutback and giddy up step to build leverage into contact.

kearly

Reaction score
Lynch vs Rawls this year reminds me a little of Watters vs Alexander back in the early Holmgren days. Its a good problem to have.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
kearly":6ai5rvc9 said:
Lynch vs Rawls this year reminds me a little of Watters vs Alexander back in the early Holmgren days. Its a good problem to have.
Yep ^

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
kearly":tqvouxkn said:

I didn't appreciate Watters enough till he was gone. As much as I like Rawls ( liked him as soon as soon as I saw his Central Michigan highlights) I am not in a hurry for Lynch to go. I hope he gets better and still gets carries this season. I'm also not really fond of Rawls getting 30 carries this last game but I'm sure that's because Rawls was hungry and the coaches wanted to reward him as much as they could.

peppersjap

Reaction score
Laloosh":m538dden said:
Carries
Lynch: 110
Rawls: 101

Stuffed %

Ex55yUu

8twt6ov

Attempts by direction
AnNXDHh

I agree with what you are saying because you said with this offensive line. I think there is a small window on the holes being opened up and Rawls hits them quicker, Marshawn uses his incredible balance to pick his holes and beat people up. I think Lynch would have had a big game Sunday but not the numbers Rawls put up. But, no I do not think Rawls is better than Lynch but I believe he is going to look like a pretty good alternative going in to next year with Lynch expecting an 11.5 million dollar cap hit.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Of course Lynch is better overall. Rawls is on fire though, while Lynch is struggling with injuries. Rawls is a bit of a Beast Jr. though. I'd have no problem with him replacing Lynch permanently once Beast retires.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Every one gangs on beast. Rawls may be the younger runner, and he can rack up yards, but he'll never inspire an earthquake. Beast makes my (and yours) bollocks tingle.

Beast is hurt and I'm not ready to put him out to pasture. Arguably because of him, we were one carry away from a second ring

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Laloosh":1bzq7gvf said:
Will look at the all 22 this week and see but I seem to recall hearing the announcers mention that Rawls had something like 2.7 yards before contact so far this season (behind that OL, I think that's fantastic).
I believe they were referring to yards after contact, not before. And it's 2.80, not 2.7. His yards before contact is actually higher, 3.18.

2.80: That's Rawls' average yards after contact. Not only does it lead all running backs in 2015, but if the number were to stand, it would be the highest average of any ball-carrier in the past three years. Rawls' 89 yards after contact Sunday were the most in the NFL.

3.18: Rawls' yards before contact this season. That number ranks fifth in the NFL. Yards before contact is a good measure of the back's vision and the line's blocking. What makes the number fascinating is that Lynch has averaged just 1.60 yards before contact, which ranks 48th.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... omas-rawls

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
SeatownJay":35ryirqa said:
Laloosh":35ryirqa said:
Will look at the all 22 this week and see but I seem to recall hearing the announcers mention that Rawls had something like 2.7 yards before contact so far this season (behind that OL, I think that's fantastic).
I believe they were referring to yards after contact, not before. And it's 2.80, not 2.7. His yards before contact is actually higher, 3.18.

2.80: That's Rawls' average yards after contact. Not only does it lead all running backs in 2015, but if the number were to stand, it would be the highest average of any ball-carrier in the past three years. Rawls' 89 yards after contact Sunday were the most in the NFL.

3.18: Rawls' yards before contact this season. That number ranks fifth in the NFL. Yards before contact is a good measure of the back's vision and the line's blocking. What makes the number fascinating is that Lynch has averaged just 1.60 yards before contact, which ranks 48th.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawk ... omas-rawls

Thanks for clarifying.

acbass

Reaction score
Rawls has been good, but he ain't the Beast. Not yet anyways. I certainly hope Lynch can make it back this season. He deserves to go out on a much higher note. Getting denied in SB 49 and then struggling through injuries the next year is not befitting of perhaps one of the greatest Seahawks to step on the field. I feel comfortable with Rawls given the situation, but I wanna see the Beast back at some point.

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
Everyone had a great day against a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE SF TEAM (at home). This game told very little other than it being a good break.
Lynch's numbers would have been better if he wasn't out with abdominal issue. I like Rawls and glad he's here but the stats above are very real.

Seymour

Reaction score
acbass":3iy8d6hs said:
Rawls has been good, but he ain't the Beast. Not yet anyways. I certainly hope Lynch can make it back this season. He deserves to go out on a much higher note. Getting denied in SB 49 and then struggling through injuries the next year is not befitting of perhaps one of the greatest Seahawks to step on the field. I feel comfortable with Rawls given the situation, but I wanna see the Beast back at some point.

And Lynch is no Steve Largent either. Lynch has $12M reasons to be happy this season, and right now Rawls is the better RB.