Opposing Tight Ends

Optimus25

Reaction score
Have 712 yards and 7 touchdowns against us this year. Unbelievable. Thank God we snatched Jimmy or he'd have ten touchdowns against us if we played new Orleans in the playoffs. The days of kam taking vernon Davis's virginity and then not calling him back seem light years away. Regardless this is so Damn unacceptable and piss poor for Richard to have not addressed in the bye.

The most painful part is how almost none of this is garbage time. These are all daggers.

marko358

Reaction score
Richard gets a C minus grade from me at this point in the season and that's being a bit generous.

DeeHawks

Reaction score
marko358":32kblv0x said:
Richard gets a C minus grade from me at this point in the season and that's being a bit generous.
Totally agree. Seems like there should be something we can do to try and scheme for opposing TE's. Why can't this get figured out?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At this stage this issue has been going on since the beginning of last season when San Diego and their TE -Gates exposed the Seahawks Ds inability to defend the TE seam pass. This is now more on Pete for not having coaches Quinn or Richard address this problem last season or by now now this year. It is a genuine soft spot the Hawks have displayed repeatedly. To me it appears as if the LB in charge of the TE in the underneath zone is not ensuring a transfer of the TE to a S or CB in the deep zone and that TE is running free down the middle of the defence often the players involved are either of the safeties and KJ Wright . In almost every game this season the Hawks have been burned for a big play, and often a critical TD, with the TE seam pass.

There is as well a vulnerability of the pass D to all plays where passes are thrown to edge of a zone. Perhaps this is an answer to our zone style D but it is something that should be able to be corrected if the coaches paid enough attention to stopping it.

It is interesting that our O doesn't run this play often but has success at times with it when they run it. Graham if used this way could be devastating and Willson if his hands were more certain could be a force to contend with.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
There were two ways to beat our D last season.
I believe the Wheel route from the fullback/TE was also one of the plays, which constantly made our Defense look bad. Remember when Denver scored 2 TDs in less than 5 minutes in Seattle to force overtime? I believe both came off the wheel routes on the right side of our Defense with their TEs (Jacob Tamie).
How did Gronk score in the SB? Was it the same? I just remember that Gronk made K.J look really bad. Might have been a straight man to man.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
marko358":27n6s8mj said:

He's not ready to be a D-Coordinator, such a shame we couldn't keep him and Ken Norton

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
2Cool4School":191yisca said:
Why dont they just put someone man to man on a tight end?
Yeah, being within' 10 yards of the TE's route would be nice.

Rob12

Reaction score
marko358":2l7ko9c0 said:

With you on that. I don't see another explanation with how the defense has dropped off so much. They feast on garbage teams and QB's, and struggle mightily against good teams. Even at home. If it's a lack of motivation on the part of the players, it's on him to fix that.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The attacks on Richard are not justified b/c the Hawks D is slowly improving and is getting closer to being the #1 D in football (presently #2). Every week they inch upwards.

However, the repeated inability to figure out a an answer to the continuous TE seam route vulnerability for two seasons now seems to be a situation where the whole defensive coaching staff including Pete needs to be called out.

Richard is a rookie DC and as such needs to be cut some slack, but not as far as this problem is concerned.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There is a rigidity to the cover 3 press man with lots of zones by the SS and linebackers that is being exploited. That said, those routes take a tic or two, so leave QBs vulnerable to pass rushes while they wait out that tight end drag route.

I also disagree very much that the Chargers created a template. IIRC, 2 of those three TDs were very well covered, they were just perfect throws and catches.
The vulnerabilities of the type of defense we play have long been known. But the one consistency of this defense is that when the pass rush is good, the vulnerabilities of the cover 3 remain manageable. Also, there is immense freedom in the cover 3 to press outside while changing up many looks underneath where Chancellor and the linebackers or nickel and dime guys zone.

One of the biggest differences between Richard and Williams is that Sherman is so good at redirecting his guy to where the sideline is an extra defender, and Williams funnels his wr to help, help that sometimes isn't even built into that particular play. Williams got beat over the top a few times, and it eroded his confidence in playing any real press, he starts looking for his bail point sometimes even before the snap. Which gives the WR his choice of where to go. Lane will not do that.

This weekend will be a big test for our D. Pittsburgh pretty much has the 3 wr formation down to an art. We can't really just cover 3 press zone a 3 wr bunch. But we can attack it, and still keep Sherman on the other side with the singe WR, with Earl over the top of the 3 wr set taking anything deep away. The thing that kills with Pitty is YAC. Have to tackle well.

ivotuk

Reaction score

jblaze

Reaction score
Kam is biting on the underneath routes in Cover 3 and we get burned over the top by the TE in the seam. Just about every TE touchdown has been that exact scenario. It's about discipline.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Why this hasn't been fixed is MADNESS.

I don't understand how this team gets burned by the SAME play every game. Opposing coaches must love being able to send a TE up the seam in the Red Zone and WALK away with a free six points.

Shit coaching (and player execution) if you ask me.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
jblaze":1092q689 said:
Kam is biting on the underneath routes in Cover 3 and we get burned over the top by the TE in the seam. Just about every TE touchdown has been that exact scenario. It's about discipline.

Pete has put more weight on both Earl and Williams for those touchdowns than Kam.