Bruce Irvin 2016 ?

gcolby

Reaction score
Anyone think Hawks should show Bruce some money in the off season to keep the LB unit intact?

marko358

Reaction score
Anyone think KPL would be ready to step in by then? With the salary cap we can't continue to sign guys to big deals and we already have a ton of money locked into our defense.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I want to see what kind of offers Bruce get's in FA. I have no idea what he'd be worth to other teams as he is such a tweener.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The answer to this question won't be known until after the season.

drdiags

Reaction score
I am thinking he would love to have an Aldon Smith or Von Miller role on a 3-4 defense. He just seems to have a singular mindset with rushing the passer. If he is dead set on being more involved in rushing the passer and doing some but not a lot of LB coverage roles he should look to get with a 3-4 team. Maybe Chicago or New England.

He is pretty versatile but I think he sees himself like a Derrick Thomas-type of rusher from the LB position (or LT as well). Not saying he is at that level but that is what I take from his interviews on how he sees himself as a defender.

I don't think the team can afford to pay him. I see him moving on.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If I'm looking at purely value in terms of the draft, then I say no.

Linebackers are perhaps the best/easiest positions to find quality starter players in the 50-125 overall range. You rarely see LBs taken in the top 20 -- and usually those are strictly pass rushers.

Irvin's position isn't a pass rush position (SAM). And Irvin's pass rush opportunities have come when he's being used situationally. Normally, you'd say this too about your MLB -- but Wagner has consistently shown he can have a special impact even at that position. You keep special players in that respect. You don't keep good/not special players. That's how you arrive at Sean Lee kind of deals.

Getting an NFL starter grade strong side OLB is about as easy as it comes in the 3rd and 4th round range. I would plow this position under ever single time the starter comes up for their 2nd deal. And use that cash elsewhere. Unless they were truly transcendent. Which Irvin is not.

Consider getting an Irvin replacement and whatever passes for a Mathis type UFA deal in the next offseason. Every year there are some guys who get cut that would improve the team on the short term.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Irvin's not old enough to run for President.

ARhawk

Reaction score
northseahawk":2c6mpo9p said:
We already overpaid for Wagner n kj. Can't have a third Over paid lb
Wagner and Wright aren't overpaid. Wagner got what he deserved and Wright was slightly overpaid at the time of the deal but is now outplaying that same contract

Tical21

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if we slide KJ back to the strongside so KPL can stay weak, or if KPL looked bad enough in his start that we come up with another plan altogether. Either way, I really hope they don't pay another LB. If there is a position where you can get by with a 500k guy, it is SLB in our system. If he can set the edge and get out to the flat on pass plays, that's really all we need. Invest that money into a WR, CB or OL.

kearly

Reaction score
My over/under line with Irvin is $5 million. If Seattle gets him back for $4 million, I'd be very happy. If they keep him for $6 million, I wouldn't love it but I'd understand. I think $5 million is about right for a guy that is a jack of all trades, master of none type that can do lots of things well, including man coverage.

I've never really seen it with KPL except maybe as a special teamer. I think he's too small and too finesse to play LB in the NFL. Morgan is good though, and Moody had his moments in SF. I love Pinkins potential and thought he had a strong preseason.

I like Irvin and hope he stays, but whatever money/resources Seattle has available needs to be dedicated to offensive tackle and cornerback first.

TorontoHawk

Reaction score
ARhawk":288bppzo said:
northseahawk":288bppzo said:
We already overpaid for Wagner n kj. Can't have a third Over paid lb
Wagner and Wright aren't overpaid. Wagner got what he deserved and Wright was slightly overpaid at the time of the deal but is now outplaying that same contract

Yes I think they deserved there contracts, very important players.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
My fellow posters....you have to see Bruce through the eyes of John and Pete. They will spend hours going over film this winter evaluating his talents and weaknesses. It is always an "educated guess" when it comes to deciding to renew a contract. They are going to compare his play with those college players who might be draftable as well as those on the team. However, as King Belshazzar discovered, he could be "....weighed in the balances and found wanting".

timmat

Reaction score
Just a guess, but I bet he ends up with Dan Quinn in Atlanta. He's from Atlanta and made rumblings about such a move in the offseason.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Irvins play in a contract year hasn't been stellar and marred by injury, I don't see how he will be better next year after he gets paid.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I think he's the best athlete on the team and often left wondering why he doesn't get the TE coverage call more often. Someone with a higher football IQ can explain that.

That said if he isn't here I'd expect him in ATL or Raids.