Veteran Center

jake206

Reaction score
In this O-line scheme, it is enormously important that center make the right calls. Why was Max Unger so valuable? Cuz he new all the fronts and o-line calls. Its not surprising that o-line played better with Patrick Lewis than Drew Nowak. The center position is the most mentally difficult position out of all the offensive line positions. You really need seasoned veteran there. Every other lineman in Cable's system plays off the center.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
It should of been Patrick's chance to start since the beginning, Carroll admitted as so, but they wanted to see how Nowak would do, they were hoping that Nowak's knowledge would surge, but it didn't go that way. That decision might have cost us some games. You can see Russ is better when he has a veteran center in play, and with Lewis is it no wonder that Russ was able to beat the blitz, just like the last time he did it against the Cardinals last year.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Still don't think Lewis is making the line calls, but he's better as both a run blocker and pass protector.

My thinking is the team should target an experienced high quality C as their only FA move this year to allow RW to focus on sizing up the pass D and deciding whether to audible to run or vica versa.

Fixing the Oline to allow a pocket for Wilson to step into to throw may be the most important necessary upgrade of the offseason.

Basis4day

Reaction score
jammerhawk":mr0i78w4 said:
Still don't think Lewis is making the line calls, but he's better as both a run blocker and pass protector.

My thinking is the team should target an experienced high quality C as their only FA move this year to allow RW to focus on sizing up the pass D and deciding whether to audible to run or vica versa.

Fixing the Oline to allow a pocket for Wilson to step into to throw may be the most important necessary upgrade of the offseason.

Online improvement clearly needs to be a focus. There are tons of players schedule ed to become FA after this season, so C can't be the only position to target.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Was talking about outside FAs rather than Hawks players up for renewal, i.e.: to me the biggest outside need for the team is an experienced high quality OC. I respect the concern though.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2ypjuu0y said:

:vodka: ^ What he said ^

hawknation2015

Reaction score
jake206":3nq088lr said:
In this O-line scheme, it is enormously important that center make the right calls. Why was Max Unger so valuable? Cuz he new all the fronts and o-line calls. Its not surprising that o-line played better with Patrick Lewis than Drew Nowak. The center position is the most mentally difficult position out of all the offensive line positions. You really need seasoned veteran there. Every other lineman in Cable's system plays off the center.

The offensive line began to improve as Justin Britt started to become comfortable at left guard; that occurred while Nowak was starting at center. Nowak is better in pass pro. Lewis is the better run blocker. There is not a huge difference between the two, so who starts depends more on the matchup, who is performing in practice, and who is healthy.

HawkerD

Reaction score
I was somewhat surprised at PC re,arks that if he had to do it all over again they would have went with Lewis. I presume Cable must have swayed him. If so, another act that diminishes Cables credibility. But after the first couple of weeks of the season the potential upside that Nowack provided should have been out weighed by the results. It is disappointing that PC didn't go with what was obvious but rather stuck to what is becoming a bad trend of him thinking he is some kind of oracle.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I doubt that. I think they knew what they had in Lewis and saw potentially more upside in Nowak that didn't materialize as fast as they thought it would.