Tom Cable praises blocking of Jimmy Graham

jayhawkk

Reaction score
A couple games into his Seattle Seahawks’ career, Jimmy Graham addressed one of the inevitable questions about his blocking with a playful answer.

“I’m a tight end now, shoot,’’ he said with a smile.

Maybe never more so than during Seattle’s 29-13 win over the San Francisco 49ers last Sunday.

As the Seahawks rushed for a season-high 255 yards, with 209 from rookie Thomas Rawls, Graham was asked to run block more than at any time during his Seahawks’ career.

According to Pro Football Focus, Graham spent 30 of the 58 snaps he was in for run blocking, the first time in his Seahawks’ career that he has spent more than 50 percent of his snaps run blocking.

According to PFF, that raised the percentage of snaps for the season he has spent run blocking to 37 percent.

In New Orleans last year, he was asked to run block on 27 percent of snaps.

That’s the kind of comparison that might help fuel the arguments for those who question how the Seahawks have been using Graham.

But the numbers also make some sense given the difference in the two offenses. New Orleans ran it just 37 percent of its snaps last season (and has almost the same ratio this year) while the Seahawks are now at almost a 50-50 run pass ratio — 307 rushes to 295 passes and close to the 48.41 percent runs to passes the Seahawks had last year (Seattle has the second-highest run-pass ratio this season, same as it did last season).

And while some might also wonder if those are wasted snaps for Graham given his reputation as a blocker, Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable argues otherwise.

Cable, in fact, said the blocking of the tight ends and receivers was an unheralded but significant factor in the success of the running game against the 49ers.

“You have to give that group some credit because we were consistent upfront, which was a big plus,’’ Cable said.”But where we were at on the perimeter at tight end and receiver made a huge difference because that’s how you get those big numbers.’’

Cable said the game might have been Graham’s best as a run blocker for the Seahawks.

“Really, he is starting to understand where he fits and why and how (into Seattle’s blocking schemes) and then it becomes a fundamentals thing,’’ Cable said. “His biggest challenge is getting his big body into a better leverage position.’’

What the Seahawks are not asking Graham to do is pass block. According to PFF, he has stayed in to block on passes just 24 times all season, or 4.4 percent of his total 545 snaps, actually not a lot different than a year ago with the Saints when he stayed in to pass block 27 times, or about 3.4 percent of snaps.
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... my-graham/

sutz

Reaction score
not surprising. I think Graham is probably a smart kid who can learn new things.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As with all things a good athlete will adjust his game to what is needed.

JG is doing much better blocking and with some luck Bevell will be able to figure out how to use his size/length mismatch better.

morgulon1

Reaction score
With the offensive line as horrible as it is, We go acquire an 8 million dollar per year pass catching TE. Then make him block.all the while throw it his way 2 maybe 3 times per game.

Then compliment him on his blocking. I'm not in the NFL , never have been, but I watched the SF game and saw #88 lose his battle more than once. In fact a friend and I were talking just the other day about Graham and the fact that Rawls could've ran for 300 if Graham could've blocked for him.

This coaching staff is on LSD

sutz

Reaction score
morgulon1":37sojwv0 said:
With the offensive line as horrible as it is, We go acquire an 8 million dollar per year pass catching TE. Then make him block.all the while throw it his way 2 maybe 3 times per game.

Then compliment him on his blocking. I'm not in the NFL , never have been, but I watched the SF game and saw #88 lose his battle more than once. In fact a friend and I were talking just the other day about Graham and the fact that Rawls could've ran for 300 if Graham could've blocked for him.

Obviously, you should submit your resume, fast. The team needs you.

:sarcasm_off: (did I really need that?) :laugh:

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Rawls is hitting the holes faster than Lynch was. It may be what is needed for this OL's play this year. Won't really be able to tell til after this Sunday. Pittsburgh will be the first team to really plan for Rawls.

RiverDog

Reaction score
morgulon1":1y5r4s5k said:

That's pretty much my sentiment, too, and I wonder how much that comment from Cable has to with damage control for an ill advised trade that hasn't worked out rather than a genuine compliment. I sure haven't seen Graham perform very well at all on his blocking assignments, certainly not when you compare him to Zach Miller. He's too damn tall, to the point where he has a hard time getting underneath the shoulder pads of the DE's and LB's. He can't get any leverage.

marko358

Reaction score
I saw a number of nice blocks from Jimmy last week. You guys complaining just to complain?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
marko358":bmk5e41l said:
I saw a number of nice blocks from Jimmy last week. You guys complaining just to complain?

Didn't really see anyone really complaining. This has been a major issue with Graham, no? How many is "a number of nice blocks"?

I didn't really watch him but I'd be more interested if he's being consistent with his blocking. If he had one or two nice blocks and the rest are below average still really doesn't cut it. IMHO

hawk45

Reaction score
morgulon1":13t677om said:

:13:

This crap, plus the swill about Sweezy being a top guard in the NFL, screams Baghdad Bob.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Anyone got some GIFs of Graham blowing block(s) that could have helped Rawls get to 300?

The problem with Graham NOT being a run blocker is that it telegraphs the play to the D.
Earlier in the season, when Graham was in, the defense knew 70% chance of a pass play.
Jimmy needs to be in on running plays, on pretty much half his snaps for the Seattle offense to be most effective.
Hoping he continues to get better and better at run blocking...

olyfan63

Reaction score
From this article by a guy "scouting" the Seahawks on behalf of the Steelers:
http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/ ... g-seattle/
(Seattle's) "Most successful run has been Zone Rim, pulling J.R. Sweezy (#64), and cracking the outside linebacker with Jimmy Graham (#88) to execute this Rim concept and expose the B gap. This concept really helped Rawls (#34) against San Francisco."

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
It's fine and all that Cable is praising Graham's blocking, but I'd prefer to hear that from an OL expert

RiverDog

Reaction score
olyfan63":2x7mukhg said:
From this article by a guy "scouting" the Seahawks on behalf of the Steelers:
http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/ ... g-seattle/
(Seattle's) "Most successful run has been Zone Rim, pulling J.R. Sweezy (#64), and cracking the outside linebacker with Jimmy Graham (#88) to execute this Rim concept and expose the B gap. This concept really helped Rawls (#34) against San Francisco."

I hope the play shown in the link wasn't Graham's best block of the game and what Cable was hanging his hat on when he made his comment as that really wasn't a block as much as it was an obstacle to the defender. He didn't do a bad job on the play but he certainly didn't blow him up his man.

I could tolerate Graham's blocking limitations if he were contributing as a receiver. He was supposed to be the red zone threat and big target that everyone was begging to get for Russell Wilson and in 10 games, he's scored two TD's, of which just one occurred in the red zone. Whether that's his fault, our coaching staff's fault, Russell Wilson's fault, or a combination of the three isn't really the point. The point is that by almost any measure, this trade has been a miserable failure.

hawk45

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3j6vrodu said:
It's fine and all that Cable is praising Graham's blocking, but I'd prefer to hear that from an OL expert
That's good work.