Excellent X's and O's on how SEA can exploit PIT on offense

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
I think we will win this game easier then most people like to believe. They don't have that great defense anymore. We pound the rock with our ground attack and let Jimmy do his thing! Jimmy Graham runs the most beautiful Slant route I've seen anyone run (Big Mike Williams ran it very beautiful as well). One on One, always throw it to Jimmy.

Anthony!

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":qw0sq0zf said:
http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/scouting/2015/11/27/scouting-seattle/

Doesn't shy away from criticisms of our playbook, our QB, or our WR's.

To be honest the so called Criticism against our QB and WR were very minimal and the criticism against tour oline and playbook were spot on.

Seafan

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":1kuv9qyh said:
I think we will win this game easier then most people like to believe. They don't have that great defense anymore. We pound the rock with our ground attack and let Jimmy do his thing! Jimmy Graham runs the most beautiful Slant route I've seen anyone run (Big Mike Williams ran it very beautiful as well). One on One, always throw it to Jimmy.

If the Hawks win it will be the first victory against a winning team since January.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":28oveowt said:

Their defense is playing much better than anyone expected this year. Here's some surprising stats:

PPG allowed: 19.1 Seahawks allow 19.2

Rush TD allowed: 3. Seahawks have allowed 7 rushing TD's this year.

Rush yds/game 93 Seahawks allowed 96.4 yds/g

That's the good news for them. They're a good rush defense, which matches up well against our biggest strength.

Here's where we can hurt them:

Pass yards/game 278. That's SC 49ers and Indy Colts territory.

They've surrendered 17 passing TD's. We've given up 10.

So, overall their defense isn't that far off of ours. They've given up 20 total TDs, 3 rushing and 17 passing. We've given up 17 total TD's, 7 rushing and 10 passing. Their overall defense is ranked pretty low since they allow so many passing yards, but (without looking at turn overs) they don't allow a lot of points from it. It's hard to rush against them, 3 rushing TD's allowed all year is pretty damned good really.

So, if anyone thinks that we just need to run up the score on them, it's not going to be a cake walk. We need to pass a lot, as that's where they're weak. Problem is, our passing game isn't all that either. It's going to be a tough game, as they match up well against our strengths (running), defense is almost a wash, and their offense is much much better than ours.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hawks46":263hvvwj said:
Their defense is playing much better than anyone expected this year. Here's some surprising stats:

PPG allowed: 19.1 Seahawks allow 19.2

Rush TD allowed: 3. Seahawks have allowed 7 rushing TD's this year.

Rush yds/game 93 Seahawks allowed 96.4 yds/g

That's the good news for them. They're a good rush defense, which matches up well against our biggest strength.

Here's where we can hurt them:

Pass yards/game 278. That's SC 49ers and Indy Colts territory.

They've surrendered 17 passing TD's. We've given up 10.

So, overall their defense isn't that far off of ours. They've given up 20 total TDs, 3 rushing and 17 passing. We've given up 17 total TD's, 7 rushing and 10 passing. Their overall defense is ranked pretty low since they allow so many passing yards, but (without looking at turn overs) they don't allow a lot of points from it. It's hard to rush against them, 3 rushing TD's allowed all year is pretty damned good really.

So, if anyone thinks that we just need to run up the score on them, it's not going to be a cake walk. We need to pass a lot, as that's where they're weak. Problem is, our passing game isn't all that either. It's going to be a tough game, as they match up well against our strengths (running), defense is almost a wash, and their offense is much much better than ours.

I think what you are trying to say that the game will be a "knuckle biter" for Hawk fans. IMO...this game will be determined by turnovers.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1rirqint said:
I think what you are trying to say that the game will be a "knuckle biter" for Hawk fans. IMO...this game will be determined by turnovers.

Meaning that if we win the turnover battle we will lose the game just like all four games this year where we won the turnover battle?

-bsd

hawk45

Reaction score
I have some thoughts.

One, that the article indicates we can feast over the middle of the field and points out a couple of route combos we've used that might fit the bill. The idea that the way we can win this game is by taking what the opposing defense gives us over the middle doesn't fill me with confidence, because that seems to be a thing that we are little capable of doing, but fingers crossed.

Two, that exploiting a soft spot requires Bevell to go into the game with a game plan that exploits the soft spot, instead of cackling diabolically and announcing that nay, that is precisely what the opposing DC would expect him to do, so clearly, he cannot choose the cup in front of him!

Three, that if we did enter the game an exploit that once, the opposing D would adjust, and we'd be out of bullets at that point because we can't adjust, hence the one TD per game phenomenon. Which, to be fair, we sort of broke through vs Arizona (which may mean something), and definitely bucked that trend vs the Niners (which probably means nothing).

Was nice that further down in the article he took a shot at Bevell for having nothing to attack expected coverages, and for having "Consistent All Go concepts." It seems head-shakingly stupid that we'd rely on that with our OL and receiver group but hey, two Superbowls, Bevell must be a genius.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
hawk45":3mlhfq8l said:
..............Was nice that further down in the article he took a shot at Bevell for having nothing to attack expected coverages, and for having "Consistent All Go concepts." It seems head-shakingly stupid that we'd rely on that with our OL and receiver group but hey, two Superbowls, Bevell must be a genius.
:th2thumbs:

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
hawk45":yz43a1ax said:
I have some thoughts.

One, that the article indicates we can feast over the middle of the field and points out a couple of route combos we've used that might fit the bill. The idea that the way we can win this game is by taking what the opposing defense gives us over the middle doesn't fill me with confidence, because that seems to be a thing that we are little capable of doing, but fingers crossed.

Two, that exploiting a soft spot requires Bevell to go into the game with a game plan that exploits the soft spot, instead of cackling diabolically and announcing that nay, that is precisely what the opposing DC would expect him to do, so clearly, he cannot choose the cup in front of him!

Three, that if we did enter the game an exploit that once, the opposing D would adjust, and we'd be out of bullets at that point because we can't adjust, hence the one TD per game phenomenon. Which, to be fair, we sort of broke through vs Arizona (which may mean something), and definitely bucked that trend vs the Niners (which probably means nothing).

Was nice that further down in the article he took a shot at Bevell for having nothing to attack expected coverages, and for having "Consistent All Go concepts." It seems head-shakingly stupid that we'd rely on that with our OL and receiver group but hey, two Superbowls, Bevell must be a genius.

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :stirthepot:

Anthony!

Reaction score
hawk45":11qp30fm said:
I have some thoughts.

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2w537m2f said:
Bigpumpkin":2w537m2f said:

Meaning that if we win the turnover battle we will lose the game just like all four games this year where we won the turnover battle?

-bsd

Well bsd.....that has to turn around sometime! This Sunday could well be the day.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
When our offensive line gives us some semblance of protection, the plays work. That's really all that needs to be said. It looks like the line is shaping up, so I fully expect our offense to click.
I also find it amusing that some on here continuously reduce the offense's role in winning a Super Bowl in 2013 and make it there again last season. Like it was just some fluke or something. I prefer to have a coach who has been tested in those highest of pressure-packed situations and prevailed. Excluding that accomplishment and the preparation it took to achieve it is just so naive in so many ways.
Time to beat those Steelers and send them back east to cry in their Rolling Rocks.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Seafan":23j77vbn said:
ApnaHawk":23j77vbn said:

If the Hawks win it will be the first victory against a winning team since January.
Wow. I can't believe this is the first time I heard that

hawk45

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3o50ywpx said:
When our offensive line gives us some semblance of protection, the plays work. That's really all that needs to be said. It looks like the line is shaping up, so I fully expect our offense to click.
I also find it amusing that some on here continuously reduce the offense's role in winning a Super Bowl in 2013 and make it there again last season. Like it was just some fluke or something. I prefer to have a coach who has been tested in those highest of pressure-packed situations and prevailed. Excluding that accomplishment and the preparation it took to achieve it is just so naive in so many ways.
Time to beat those Steelers and send them back east to cry in their Rolling Rocks.

See this is what I'm talking about. Hours away from kickoff and instead of fine tuning his game plan Bevell is on an Internet message board defending himself.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
hawk45":21ejpdzg said:
Siouxhawk":21ejpdzg said:

See this is what I'm talking about. Hours away from kickoff and instead of fine tuning his game plan Bevell is on an Internet message board defending himself.

Sigh... the hate is strong with this one.

Bevell called an excellent game, for the most part, and the O-line gave RW time to execute; and he did very well in that regard. That's worth a lot more to me than the knee-jerk group-think regarding our OC.