Our offensive line rankings 2012-2014

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Sometimes when I read these boards, I get the feeling I'm a Detroit Lions fan. Yes the offensive line has been bad this year, but when was it ever good/great? 2004-2005??

To my point, I had to look up some statistics and do some basic quick work. Cause if memory serves me right, our lines have always struggled, especially at the start of the season....

For the rankings I used PFF.
**These are season-end Rankings**

2012 - 20 https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... e-lines/2/
2013 - 27 https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -rankings/
2014 - 19 https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ankings/2/

Our average ranking over the last 3 years is 22. (20+27+19)/3.

We have never had a great line in these past few years.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
This is well known but I would not have guessed last years team had the better of the three. My guess would have been 2013 as the best and this years the worst.

hawk45

Reaction score
Oh look another strawman by the OP.
Find me one poster who has claimed that this OL has been "great" other than 05. Crickets chirping.
The lament has been that the line in years past has been good enough, especially with 3 high round draft picks returning from injury late in the year. But that this year the FO erred horribly by trying to get by on conversion projects and overhyped cable fairy dust.
Anthony has a valid point here, which is that there is a difference between a line in the lower third of the league and a line that is worst by a large margin.
Now if Rawls pops for 150 vs the steelers then they may have found legit run blocking mojo, but the experiment has still all but doomed the season. Why they couldn't work the projects in alongside actual linemen is the great mystery of the season.

hawk45

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":320mrj4n said:
We lead the league in rushing....
Right, and that isn't a misleading stat relying upon yards from the QB running for his life and two epic performances by Rawls.

OP
OP
A

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
hawk45":jaqthpug said:
ApnaHawk":jaqthpug said:
Right, and that isn't a misleading stat relying upon yards from the QB running for his life and two epic performances by Rawls.

How is it misleading? It's ranked #1! Not, 2 3 4... But 1. I think our coaches know a thing or two about what they're doing with their lineman.

Anthony!

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":1bh6kxh6 said:
Sometimes when I read these boards, I get the feeling I'm a Detroit Lions fan. Yes the offensive line has been bad this year, but when was it ever good/great? 2004-2005??

To my point, I had to look up some statistics and do some basic quick work. Cause if memory serves me right, our lines have always struggled, especially at the start of the season....

and this year 32nd thereis a difference between 10th and 32nd and if you go by Footballtousiders our olines been ranked between 22-24th until this year 32nd there is a difference even 27th to 32nd is huge, not to mention 30th in penalties which hurt as much as giving up a sack

Anthony!

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":2aiiyj5w said:
hawk45":2aiiyj5w said:
ApnaHawk":2aiiyj5w said:

How is it misleading? It's ranked #1! Not, 2 3 4... But 1. I think our coaches know a thing or two about what they're doing with their lineman.

take out all QB running numbers and we are not #1 not even close that is the point

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":1pr0pe46 said:
hawk45":1pr0pe46 said:
ApnaHawk":1pr0pe46 said:

We're also 31st in team QB sacked per game.

Seafan

Reaction score
Anthony!":3pdwxv5c said:
ApnaHawk":3pdwxv5c said:
hawk45":3pdwxv5c said:
ApnaHawk":3pdwxv5c said:

take out all QB running numbers and we are not #1 not even close that is the point

Yes but if you double the QB yards we are still #1 and it's not even close.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Seafan":e2kvwwnw said:
Anthony!":e2kvwwnw said:
ApnaHawk":e2kvwwnw said:
hawk45":e2kvwwnw said:

Yes but if you double the QB yards we are still #1 and it's not even close.

okay irrelevant but okay

Anthony!

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":389i9a1k said:
hawk45":389i9a1k said:
ApnaHawk":389i9a1k said:

Maybe they do from a run blocking perspective but from pass blocking yeah NO

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Anthony!":3mtxeu9a said:
ApnaHawk":3mtxeu9a said:
hawk45":3mtxeu9a said:
ApnaHawk":3mtxeu9a said:

Yes we are.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":lwupor8n said:
ApnaHawk":lwupor8n said:
hawk45":lwupor8n said:
ApnaHawk":lwupor8n said:

Be honest, how many of those sacks are on Wilson?

RiverDog

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":xddh7oqw said:

I've never understood how they can make an objective appraisal of offensive line performance. Watch New England and see what Brady does when he's faced with a jail break....he unloads the ball immediately, doesn't even try that reverse spin move Russell and some of the other QB's will do. Russell will almost always look for a way out and many times gets caught in doing so. Our line has to hold their blocks much longer than other lines, plus they can't anticipate where Russell is going to be as other lines can with their quarterbacks, which subjects them to more holding calls.

But run blocking might be over rated with a quarterback like Russell under center, who is a threat to run anytime he has his hands on the ball. Not so with guys like Rivers and Peyton. It's easier to block for a read option quarterback as you simply take your man in which ever direction he wants to go and don't even have to block the DE.

We all know that our offensive line has been a weak spot, but I just can't see how anyone can quantify it with a ranking.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
RiverDog":2gukqtf5 said:
ApnaHawk":2gukqtf5 said:

I've never understood how they can make an objective appraisal of offensive line performance. Watch New England and see what Brady does when he's faced with a jail break....he unloads the ball immediately, doesn't even try that reverse spin move Russell and some of the other QB's will do. Russell will almost always look for a way out and many times gets caught in doing so. Our line has to hold their blocks much longer than other lines, plus they can't anticipate where Russell is going to be as other lines can with their quarterbacks, which subjects them to more holding calls.

But run blocking might be over rated with a quarterback like Russell under center, who is a threat to run anytime he has his hands on the ball. Not so with guys like Rivers and Peyton. It's easier to block for a read option quarterback as you simply take your man in which ever direction he wants to go and don't even have to block the DE.

We all know that our offensive line has been a weak spot, but I just can't see how anyone can quantify it with a ranking.

Good points River dog on both passing and running.

I think if you put a QB like Brady behind these guys you would see a much improved line especially if they started out the season against the Pat's schedule where they had time to learn before hitting a gauntlet of dominant front 7's.

That is not a knock on Wilson. He has his own style and is still learning to manipulate a pocket and trust his O-line. Starting off the season against multiple top front 7's in the league has dramatically stumped the growth of the O-line and has also contributed to Wilson fleeing the pocket instead of shifting in it, when there are times shifting makes much more sense. The line has had to contend with not just dominant front 7's but also extended blocking for a guys that his movement is anything but steady. Most QB's are pretty stationary and the line knows where they are trying to keep defenders away from. If a defender changes direction it usually doesn't mean he is making a b-line for the QB who has fled the pocket. A subtle move is often enough to keep yourself between the defender and the pocket but when that defender is no longer going for the pocket but rather hard shifting direction to chase the QB, that subtle move will not work. Imagine how hard it is to teach someone a new position while trying to teach them the subtleties of that position while constantly throwing in situations where that subtle movement won't get it done.

I think Wilson is going to become a great QB but right now he is not there and the way he is playing is one of the big reasons this offensive line is so offensive.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Anthony!":dpsxjv9m said:
ApnaHawk":dpsxjv9m said:
hawk45":dpsxjv9m said:
ApnaHawk":dpsxjv9m said:

Yes we are.

OKay let me help you we have 1486 yards subtract Wilson 385 and we have 1101. I will only show one other team to make my point as that would mean we are not #1 TB has 1422 yards minus 111 form their QB and they have 1311 yards which is way more than ours. So no we are not #1 taking out QB yards

Anthony!

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":dweknspl said:
ApnaHawk":dweknspl said:
hawk45":dweknspl said:
ApnaHawk":dweknspl said:

Be honest, how many of those sacks are on Wilson?

Less than half of the sacks Wilson has adverted. I believe ESPN on their paid part said 7-9 were on Wilson but that Wilson adverted another 15-20 with is running. So if we want to play the haw many are Wilsons fault we need to play how many more would there have been without Wilson

Anthony!

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3jlhdpp8 said:
RiverDog":3jlhdpp8 said:
ApnaHawk":3jlhdpp8 said:

Good points River dog on both passing and running.

I think if you put a QB like Brady behind these guys you would see a much improved line especially if they started out the season against the Pat's schedule where they had time to learn before hitting a gauntlet of dominant front 7's.

That is not a knock on Wilson. He has his own style and is still learning to manipulate a pocket and trust his O-line. Starting off the season against multiple top front 7's in the league has dramatically stumped the growth of the O-line and has also contributed to Wilson fleeing the pocket instead of shifting in it, when there are times shifting makes much more sense. The line has had to contend with not just dominant front 7's but also extended blocking for a guys that his movement is anything but steady. Most QB's are pretty stationary and the line knows where they are trying to keep defenders away from. If a defender changes direction it usually doesn't mean he is making a b-line for the QB who has fled the pocket. A subtle move is often enough to keep yourself between the defender and the pocket but when that defender is no longer going for the pocket but rather hard shifting direction to chase the QB, that subtle move will not work. Imagine how hard it is to teach someone a new position while trying to teach them the subtleties of that position while constantly throwing in situations where that subtle movement won't get it done.

I think Wilson is going to become a great QB but right now he is not there and the way he is playing is one of the big reasons this offensive line is so offensive.

Disagree you put Brady behind this line running this offense, with the coaches constantly saying no TO, not taking chances and our Sacks go up huge.