Words from Kris Richards that caught my attention

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
From his presser today, in response to whether Cary Williams is struggling with assignment or with technique:

"It's a little bit of both, and the assignment part is my responsibility. I'm his coach back there, and for him to go out there in the football game and not be 100% locked into how he's supposed to do things, that bothers me. It's like "Wait a minute, what do I need to do better in order to have him play at his best?". So if he's out there, and he's not too sure or he's confused, then I know I need to do a better job."

Taking responsibility for the play of his guys. Also said Cary is bouncing back today. Didn't shy away from labeling execution as a problem, but I like this guy.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Refreshing for someone in his position for such a short time taking responsibility AND not trying to deflect and assign blame elsewhere which IMHO would be easy for him to do. It also gives me hope that this will be improved.

Seattle Seahawks still have a damn good defense . Nope , I'm not going to hijack this thread .

NOPE. Great post Mont. Hawk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":38pehlt9 said:
From his presser today, in response to whether Cary Williams is struggling with assignment or with technique:

"It's a little bit of both, and the assignment part is my responsibility. I'm his coach back there, and for him to go out there in the football game and not be 100% locked into how he's supposed to do things, that bothers me. It's like "Wait a minute, what do I need to do better in order to have him play at his best?". So if he's out there, and he's not too sure or he's confused, then I know I need to do a better job."

Taking responsibility for the play of his guys. Also said Cary is bouncing back today. Didn't shy away from labeling execution as a problem, but I like this guy.
Nice to see a coordinator say something like that...... And I'll leave it at that...... 8)

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":y6bbzkg5 said:
MontanaHawk05":y6bbzkg5 said:

Nice to see a coordinator say something like that...... And I'll leave it at that...... 8)
And unusual, too! :mrgreen:

Ozzy

Reaction score
Lol its tough isn't it guys? I like Richard and think he will continue to get better too.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I like this, as Richard is basically ensuring that Williams keeps some confidence and positive attitude moving forward. As a CB, you have to have confidence in your abilities or you're going to get beat.

In fairness to Richard, he's really not Williams' coach now. I mean, he has overall responsibility, but Richard is responsible for the entire game plan defensively. He has to worry about the entire defense, where last year he could micro manage the secondary.

So the real question isn't "why isn't Richard doing a better job with the secondary?" or "what's wrong with Richard's defense this year?" but should be "what's the new secondary coach doing or not doing that has this unit so out of sorts?"

If I'm a Head Coach or DC, that's what I'm asking.

Cartire

Reaction score
Im gonna be fair here, this is the easiest thing to take responsibility for. A coach taking blame for a players execution.

It becomes a, "how can I get through to this athlete" response. We all know Williams has been failing. But this isnt on Richards. Theres an obvious lack of awareness by Williams.

Im fine with coaches, and even Richards now, taking the blame and backing up their guys. But no one is thinking less of Richards coaching skills right now, I can tell you that.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Nice of him but by this stage of the year Williams has no excuse for not understanding the scheme and being 100 percent locked him.

drdiags

Reaction score
To have a player of 7 yrs have problems trusting that your technique will work for him is not unusual. Remember when Tom Cable talked about how Marshawn finally came to him the second year he was here and asked what he could do to fit into what Tom was asking the RBs to do?

Cary Williams got paid pretty good money as a 7 yr vet, so for him to toss out all the technique he used to be a 7 yr vet was going to be a tough change. In the end if they cannot mesh, it will be best they recognize it will not work and move on. Sounds like Cary was struggling early, tried to trust the techniques but under fire could not help but revert to his comfort zone.

Richard also is going through a change that messes with his comfort zone so maybe they both get another shot at improving here next year?

rjdriver

Reaction score
What he is struggling with most is lack of
talent.

That's hard to coach up. We have been so spoiled with our DB's the last few
years, it makes mediocrity stand out like a sore thumb.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Nice of him to say on the surface but if you think about it for a second and decode what he means he's basically saying "I'm sitting here scratching my head wondering why this bum sucks so much." He sounds more bewildered than anything else.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3m6ckypp said:

That's what I did as well. ;)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
rjdriver":315dgze1 said:
talent.

Doesn't he have size and speed?

I don't know if it's us being spoiled, we give other players more of a pass because we know what they look like at their best. Hasn't been that great of a season as a whole for the DBs.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":ao1yu20x said:
rjdriver":ao1yu20x said:
talent.

Doesn't he have size and speed?

I don't know if it's us being spoiled, we give other players more of a pass because we know what they look like at their best. Hasn't been that great of a season as a whole for the DBs.
This ^
I was thinking the same thing.
It seems to me that Williams hasn't quite been able to re-fit his skillset to what the LOB had been doing in the past, but then again, the regular LOB seems to be struggling with getting back into the groove they once dominated in.
If the LOB regulars are having some kind of issues with the scheme, imagine being a newbie, and trying to jell with the inconsistencies.
I just hope that they're getting this thing back on it's wheels for the rest of the Season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
GeekHawk":12tiqjid said:
Sports Hernia":12tiqjid said:
MontanaHawk05":12tiqjid said:

And unusual, too! :mrgreen:
You guys so totally beat me to it. Gettin' slower in my old age.

Ricardo Lockette agrees with you guys as well.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Good find, Montana.

THere is no doubt that Richard is smart, media savvy, an excellent talker...I just have never been able to shake the feeling he doesnt have a huge amount of cred with the LB and DL.. hopefully Im just projecting.

Cary Williams.. I dont think hes ever going to buy into Seahawk technique.. hopefully im wrong there too!