Will this offense be better without Jimmy Graham?

Rob12

Reaction score
I'm sorry for another Graham thread, but the others don't really relate to the question I asked in the title.

This isn't about replacing him during his injury.

For as bad as it sucks that he got seriously hurt, I've tried to find a silver lining. It seems to me that there has been pressure on Russell all season to get the ball to No. 88, and at times I think that has been a big detriment to the offense. I'm not at all saying that Graham hurt us, but it does make me wonder if Russell will feel like he can relax a bit. He loves to spread the ball around, and having a guy out that demands eight to 10 targets a game might make him hesitate at times. I feel bad for saying that, because when utilized correctly Graham makes this offense much better. His production won't be replaced, it will just have to be redistributed.

Doug Baldwin is a very good receiver and his targets should go up. He has a great rapport with Russell. For as much crap as Kearse gets on this board, he had a big game today and Russell looks his way often. I think Luke Willson is a very capable replacement during the absence of Graham. I now believe that Tyler Lockett will become an integral part of the passing game, and that's exciting.

I don't know. I'm just spitballing here, and perhaps trying to make myself feel better.

Get well soon, Jimmy.

Mojambo

Reaction score
it's getting better because the o-line is getting its groove.

But it won't be as good as it can be without Graham. He is a fabulous player who was having a really good year.

chris98251

Reaction score
We won a Super bowl without Harvin and Graham and got to them without him, I am more worried about not having Lynch and the toughness he brings to the offense. No offence to Rawls but he has to earn that yet. I think we involve more players now, just like after we moved Harvin, the ball will be spread around a lot more, we will be less predictable. But the last two weeks Graham was becoming involved and not a expensive decoration.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not at all saying we will be better. Just thinking out loud I guess.

Damn, this sucks. But I have to believe that the offense will absorb this and will have a great finish to the season.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Graham has been pretty clutch on third down for us. Why we can't seem to get him a red zone look I don't know but I don't think losing a player of his caliber is suddenly going to make us better.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Better? Probably not. Talent is talent.

But possibly more rhythm? Because not forcing plays to one player? Quite likely.

endzorn

Reaction score
My opinion, we have to stop trying to hammer square pegs in round holes. Harvin and Graham caused us to step outside our strengths to force balls in the passing game when we aren't the Saints or Favre-led Packers. My immediate reaction was that we no longer have to worry about national reaction to his numbers. I don't think we're going from the 76 Bucs to the 99 Rams, but I think there will be a much clearer delineation of what we are trying to accomplish.

drdiags

Reaction score
Maybe, but what I hate about losing Graham is that none of our WRs/TEs have the power to truck DBs/LBs like a Demaryus Thomas or the more dynamic, playmaking WRs. It is almost shocking to see Graham catching a ball in Seahawks blue and know he can power most of the defenders he plays against.

Kearse, Baldwin and Lockett can catch the ball but they are not going to usually push a defender or a couple a few yards to get a 1st down. Look at our defense tackling other teams WR and note they get them down but can be pushed for a few yards. Seahawks WRs don't do that.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I don't think this is a fair question as we were just getting better with him. Jimmy has been solid. We just finally tweeted the offense for him.
The other guys are solid when they can get open but Jimmy is was our 50/50 guy. Some one else has to jump up and be that guy.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The offense was pretty effective with him yesterday. I think Luke will be OK, but he's no Jimmy Graham.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
It will seem better because Russell already has established chemistry with the other guys, and the O-lIne is starting to get it's groove. But Jimmy is pro bowl talent and he was definitely contributing to the Hawks. Outside of the Arizona game, he has been excellent. Hell even in this game he was excellent. Some BIG catches.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think the real question is will Russell be better when he can play what the defense is showing, not get a guy a touch? It isn't like we were using Graham well in the Red zone, or having him do things no other player can do.

hawker84

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2noy4j36 said:

But possibly more rhythm? Because not forcing plays to one player? Quite likely.

This. You can't easily replace talent, but this offense seems to click better when we're getting the ball to numerous targets. IMO, more pressure is going to be on Russ with Lynch gone. Rawls has been awesome, and because of that teams will start to scheme for him like they did lynch. Yesterday showed that Russ can still carry the load if need be.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Dont overlook facts. Jimmy Graham draws much attention from the defense because he is a big receiving threat and often a mismatch. Game planning against the Seahawks just got easier without JG to worry about.
He was just beginning to click with Russ after early timing/chemistry issues that was compounded by struggling O line, inconsistent playcalling and adjusting to a run first offense.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2xuleaap said:

Jimmy Graham converted two 3rd-and-10+'s yesterday. If that's forcing the ball, I'm not complaining.

Besides, what do you want Seattle to do? Rely on UDFA WR's the rest of Wilson's career because otherwise you have to feed them the ball?

hawk45

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1d9a8qst said:
Scottemojo":1d9a8qst said:

Jimmy Graham converted two 3rd-and-10+'s yesterday. If that's forcing the ball, I'm not complaining.

Besides, what do you want Seattle to do? Rely on UDFA WR's the rest of Wilson's career because otherwise you have to feed them the ball?

We don't force feed Lockett. Never force fed Tate, or Richardson.

We do seem to get all bent out of shape with the high profile FA weapons.