Russell Wilson on pace for best season ever.

Rob12

Reaction score
2,723 yards, 67.7 completion percentage, 8.4 YPA, 18 TD, 7 INT, 102.9 QB rating, 400 yards rushing.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been hard on him this season. But when you look at the numbers that he has put up this season, it's very impressive. He's had an inexperienced and a not very skilled offensive line blocking for him. Beast has missed much of the season, and has been ineffective when he has played (3.7 YPC).

People have asked what life will look like without Lynch and so far the results have offered some hope. Russell is now firmly planted into his prime and has a lot of it left.

He's taking plenty of shots on .NET this season, and some of it has been deserved. But today showed me that he is locked in, and this offense is going to be a tough unit to stop for the rest of the season.

Rawls has had a lot of success running the football as well. I have to believe that that is a testament to Russell as well. He offers the threat of running the read option to perfection at times, and that opens things up. People often attributed his success to Beast, but the truth is it's a mutually beneficial relationship.

Keep it up, Russ.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Maulbert":3f0ei2mi said:
hgwellz12":3f0ei2mi said:
Wait, you sure? I thought Russell Wilson, OUR Russell Wilson, was the root cause of Lou Gerais disease? Nah seriously, I think I read that in another thread a few minutes ago.

This is great news!

A guy with a bad disease that screws ur typing up

Who is Lou Gerais?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
But wasn't there a poll recently questioning if Russell was even franchise QB caliber? :snack:

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Career QB rating at 99.5, inching right back up to 100. And yeah, I was in another thread saying that QB rating is worthless. I was wrong and some posters educated me.

We're fortunate to have an elite QB who is just going to get better. Pittsburgh wanted to keep him in the pocket today and Russ obliged them mostly, and torched them all day long.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Aros":33tb7008 said:
But wasn't there a poll recently questioning if Russell was even franchise QB caliber? :snack:
Yes there was, and at the time of the poll he was not playing like a franchise QB.

I for one am glad he's turning things around and playing like an NFL QB again. Remains to be seen if he can do it against a good pass defense, like the defenses we'll see in the playoffs, like a franchise QB can, but today was an exceptional performance by any standard and I was impressed. Happy to see it, and hope to see more.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I believe that the improvement has come from Pete and Bevell letting Russell Wilson play the traditional QB role more. To me, there are two key throws that show that Pete and Bevell and Russell have grown together.

1. The throw into triple coverage, where Jimmy brings down the ball at the 2 yards line. Russell would have NEVER thrown that ball in the past, because he would be afraid to turn the ball over.
2. The last throw to Baldwin. Here also, Baldwin wasn't more open than he was in the Superbowl against Rivers. But, Russell trusted what he saw and threw the ball. Doug made the play and the rest is history.

I really want to see Russell take more of these chances. Yes, there will be mistakes. Yes, there will be more INTs, but receivers will trust him more. Russell will gain more confidence. Our team will be less predictable and more difficult to prepare for. I really want Russell be more decisive on these throws.

I believe we need to sign Chris Matthews back. He is a big tall target, that Jimmy was.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Well, 2 games with a bucket of TD passes will certainly help.
YPA of 8.4, low turnovers. He is actually under his career TD% of 5.7 right now, at 5.5, but if the last two weeks is any indication, he will change that.
Mostly, though, it is plain to me that Russ is not pressing right now.

Seymour

Reaction score
5 TD's and 21/30 with 345 yds passing is one hell of a "game manager".

RussB

Reaction score
Lol anyone remember the thread where there was a poll if he was a franchise QB or not?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
2Cool4School":3vnora1e said:
Lol anyone remember the thread where there was a poll if he was a franchise QB or not?

I try to forget. :34853_doh:

ivotuk

Reaction score
hgwellz12":xvnjxrxe said:
Wait, you sure? I thought Russell Wilson, OUR Russell Wilson, was the root cause of Lou Gerais disease? Nah seriously, I think I read that in another thread a few minutes ago.

This is great news!

You got it wrong, Russell is the cause of Ricky Gervais disease. :lol:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1f57ngpk said:
O-line getting better = Russ getting better. Not coincidence IMO.

Actually I think the O-line was better last game against the 9ers but Wilson didn't trust it yet and was scrambling out of clean pockets at the first sign of potential pressure instead of side stepping like less mobile QB's do. He still had a great game against the 9ers but the whole game I was yelling at the TV for him to stop leaving clean pockets.

This game felt to me like Wilson studied the tape from last game and was much more committed to trusting the pocket. He still got sacked a couple times but I thought both were on the line and at least once was a good blitz. I also have to give Bevell some credit for drawing up what appeared to be an excellent game plan. Maybe it was just execution but Wilson seemed to have plenty of options in the passing game and wasn't holding the ball to long.

Hopefully this is a big step forward and continues because yesterday was by far the best I have ever seen him look and it looked like he could even improve from there with some more confidence. This is also the type of game that gives the O-line confidence.

One thing is for sure. I wouldn't want to be the Vikings D-coord right now. Game planning against the Seahawks looks like it could give him nightmares.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Steelers are one of the worst pass defenses in the league, but considering our OL and our loss of talent in the receiving corps - it was a tremendous accomplishment.

More importantly, it was a game where we repeatedly had to answer TDs with TDs.

It was a great game by Wilson, and frankly a good job by Bevell.

If it results in the Steelers missing the playoffs and tears shed by the children of Pittsburgh, I am going to be so happy.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I hope he can keep this up for awhile, but be careful about thinking about being "on pace".

A few weeks ago, there were many posts about how Wilson would break the sack record if he was "on pace", now his pace is 20 less than that. Still not great, but extrapolation can distort things.