Stev Wyche: Seattle Seahawks looking dangerous again at just

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Seattle Seahawks looking dangerous again at just the right time"

Sam was at the game, and in the locker room after, so he's got some quotes. I really enjoyed this story.

"The defense clearly needs to plug some holes. Seattle's been tagged for 69 points total by Arizona and Pittsburgh, two of the last three teams the Seahawks have faced. Granted, those are two of the top four offenses in the league right now. But still, deep passes have found their way into a secondary that once was off limits to even test.

That said, Seattle is allowing a more-than-respectable 20.2 points per game. Against the Steelers, the defense also nabbed four interceptions. Takeaways, more than yards allowed, have been the trademark of the Seahawks' defense. If that trend continues, advantage Seattle
."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... right-time

RiverDog

Reaction score
Not that it has anything to do with the OP, but Sam Wyche is one of my favorite coaches. He once was reprimanded by the league for kicking a female reporter out of his post game locker room, so the following week, he does his post game interview in the nude.

seahawksny

Reaction score
Don't see how giving up 500 yards of offense is looking dangerous.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2l6n5ejh said:
seahawksny":2l6n5ejh said:

Do you see how scoring 6 TDs on offense is looking dangerous? I mean, that happened, too.

or 4 takeaways, also of which he made a fairly salient point about...

HawkGA

Reaction score
RiverDog":3r1q0x16 said:
Not that it has anything to do with the OP, but Sam Wyche is one of my favorite coaches. He once was reprimanded by the league for kicking a female reporter out of his post game locker room, so the following week, he does his post game interview in the nude.

Keeping in the Sam Wyche theme, he also sent Boomer out during a preseason game, they had the ball around mid-field and he told him to say he couldn't hear because of crowd noise. And then to just keep saying that. The NFL got the point. the rule is still on the books but it doesn't get enforced. Every fan of the NFL owes Wyche a big THANK YOU for that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, scoring 39 and winning isn't good enough. We must dwell on giving up 30 and 500 yards.
Because stats matter more than the actual final score. :?

seahawksny

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1stffego said:
volsunghawk":1stffego said:
seahawksny":1stffego said:

Do you see how scoring 6 TDs on offense is looking dangerous? I mean, that happened, too.

How many playoff games have the saints won since they won the SB? Not many

There is a reason that the niners, seahawks and ravens have won multiple playoff games in recent years and team like New Orleans HAVE NOT!!
DEFENSE PEOPLE. This team has won with great D in the past regardless if they score 17 points or 39 points. 500 yards of opposing offense is how new Orleans plays, not seattle. U want proof?

Seattle has 6 playoff victories in last three years.
How many do Brees and the saints have?

seahawksny

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3hb6q81h said:
Yeah, scoring 39 and winning isn't good enough. We must dwell on giving up 30 and 500 yards.

You're right
Giving up 30 points wins a lot of games.
This game reminded me of the beast quake game. What happened one week later? Exactly

This is where we want to be ? Complacent with 500 yards of opposing offense. I love rusell wilson and our team, but if rather strive for great defense than relying becoming the second coming of greatest show on turf.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Of course the D needs to play better. But winning doesn't have to look a certain way.
Neither team played well on D, it was just that kind of game. They won't see another offense like this for a long while.
Sometimes you gotta' tip your cap to the opponent too. This one game doesn't make them magically a crappy D. They were near the top prior to this one.

I get what you're saying completely. It was like "can somebody other than Sherm cover these guys??"

Some of Ben's throws were just plain ridiculous. Don't like the guy at all, but he is pretty damn good.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":9min0akn said:
Uncle Si":9min0akn said:
volsunghawk":9min0akn said:
seahawksny":9min0akn said:

There is a reason that the niners, seahawks and ravens have won multiple playoff games in recent years and team like New Orleans HAVE NOT!!
DEFENSE PEOPLE. This team has won with great D in the past regardless if they score 17 points or 39 points. 500 yards of opposing offense is how new Orleans plays, not seattle. U want proof?

How many do Brees and the saints have?
How many do Brady and the Patriots have? I can think of at least one.

seahawksny

Reaction score

How many do Brees and the saints have?[/quote]
How many do Brady and the Patriots have? I can think of at least one.[/quote]

Patriots never out slugged teams
They had good defenses with mcginest, bruschi, vrabel, harrison.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":3q3ql56p said:
All the Yardage stats don't tell the whole story
Roegthlisbuggerer took a dump on those Yards gained, and threw picks.
Statistically speaking, Wilson threw for LESS Yardage, but didn't throw any picks.
The Stealers were hoping that they could overwhelm the Seahawks Defense with a high volume of passes, and that they'd win the shootout....They didn't expect that sickie RW was going to play his most prolific game as a Pro.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkGA":snr9hq7c said:
RiverDog":snr9hq7c said:

Keeping in the Sam Wyche theme, he also sent Boomer out during a preseason game, they had the ball around mid-field and he told him to say he couldn't hear because of crowd noise. And then to just keep saying that. The NFL got the point. the rule is still on the books but it doesn't get enforced. Every fan of the NFL owes Wyche a big THANK YOU for that.

I'm not sure I get what point the NFL got. What point was Boomer and Wyche trying to make?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":3lrrzgyi said:
SoulfishHawk":3lrrzgyi said:

You're right
Giving up 30 points wins a lot of games.
This game reminded me of the beast quake game. What happened one week later? Exactly

This is where we want to be ? Complacent with 500 yards of opposing offense. I love rusell wilson and our team, but if rather strive for great defense than relying becoming the second coming of greatest show on turf.

It's been the rhetoric for most of this Season, that if we win, it's completely because of the Defense, and if we don't, well then that's on the Offense.
The Defense will make mistakes and some shit plays will ensue, but isn't it nice to have an Offense that can hold up it's end of the TEAMS over all play?

HawkGA

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1w75iuym said:
HawkGA":1w75iuym said:
RiverDog":1w75iuym said:

I'm not sure I get what point the NFL got. What point was Boomer and Wyche trying to make?

A little background perhaps. There is a rule on the rule books that if the crowd is too loud, the visiting quarterback can complain to the official. The first time the crowd gets a warning. The second time is a 5 yard penalty.

Elway took advantage of the rule if the Broncos were backed up in the end zone.

It was a ridiculously stupid rule. While it is probably true that Elway had difficulty hearing, it was abundantly clear the Boomer didn't, yet the rule was really put in the hands of the visiting team's QB. Plus, penalizing the crowd kind of takes away from the point of going to a game. Never a good idea to penalize your customers.

RiverDog

Reaction score
HawkGA":1pqtvlqb said:
A little background perhaps. There is a rule on the rule books that if the crowd is too loud, the visiting quarterback can complain to the official. The first time the crowd gets a warning. The second time is a 5 yard penalty.

It was a ridiculously stupid rule. While it is probably true that Elway had difficulty hearing, it was abundantly clear the Boomer didn't, yet the rule was really put in the hands of the visiting team's QB. Plus, penalizing the crowd kind of takes away from the point of going to a game. Never a good idea to penalize your customers.

I remember that rule. It was directed at the Kingdome crowds, and you're right, it was as stupid of a rule I can ever remember, especially the way they applied it with the visiting team QB having so much control over it, but I didn't think that it was still on the books. Are you sure it's still an active rule?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":1bax8hv9 said:
Patriots never out slugged teams
They had good defenses with mcginest, bruschi, vrabel, harrison.
None of whom played for New England when they won in February. The Pats have been a primarily offensive team for a decade now and been to 3 Super Bowls in that time. And it took miraculous plays by the Giants for them to lose the two they did.

I'm not suggesting defense isn't important. I am, however, saying that you are overreacting.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkGA":2fsel6os said:
seahawkfreak":2fsel6os said:
HawkGA":2fsel6os said:
RiverDog":2fsel6os said:

No I remember the issue. So you were saying Boomer was full of crap and he could hear fine but lied and said he couldn't. Get it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":hqib31g3 said:
No I remember the issue. So you were saying Boomer was full of crap and he could hear fine but lied and said he couldn't. Get it.

I suppose turn about is fair play. I also remember Joe Nash faking injuries in order to slow down Wyche/Boomer's hurry up offense and allow our defense to substitute. Geez, I can remember Wyche going ballistic.