Pre season, regular season, post season.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
It's becoming apparent to me that Pete Carroll doesn't really see these three parts as seperete entities. Pre season to him does not end after 4 games. The slow starts the last couple if years attest to this. Couple this with the overall record the past few Decembers and you start to see a pattern. I think that the Drew Nowak experiment at the beginning of the season is further evidence. Pete puts a tremendous amount of importance on peaking at the right time. Early season games are obviously used for tinkering with the roster and schemes. I just wish I had figured this out before this so I didn't have to experience so much strife at the beginning seasons games!

peppersjap

Reaction score
I think I'm good with the way Pete is running things. They are tinkering with an offensive line because all there money except for Wilsons contract is tied up in the Defense. I'm pretty sure if this hadn't been a contract year for Wilson and Wagner we might have seen something different on the offensive line. I can't imagine how things would have been if we had chose not to resign Wilson or Wagner so we could improve the offensive line. It appears the plan is once again working, might be a little late this year but we will see.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
If starting slow every year means peaking in December/January I'll gladly take that over opening strong but unable to show up in the play-offs (Bengals style).

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Except sacrificing home games against Aaron or Cam. Blow off afc. Cardinals weren't a peaking issue, they are a dc who is resistant to the pass rush / blitz adjustment earlier than 19 pts down. He needs some Dutch uncling

bigskydoc

Reaction score
That's exactly why I picked us to start 6-4. We were only a game off and are starting to look like we did mid-season the last two years.

- bsd

sutz

Reaction score
Well, most years so far it hasn't been this bad, but there is something here. I think Pete has a philosophy that if we're within a game or so of .500 at mid season, we're doing OK. With that idea in mind, we can experiment with players and formations, rest players when we need to, hold players out if the injury risk is high, that kind of thing. Meanwhile, if we do maintain that 'within shooting distance' of the playoffs standing, we're in good shape mentally and physically for the stretch run.

I think you'll notice, if you look back, that we did try some things when certain games were getting out of hand, the old "they never cut Wilson loose until it is too late" meme that floats around here a lot. Or the "they never open up the game until it is too late." Same thing.

Their planning is big picture for the whole season, not just one game at a time. Even with all that in mind, we were barely beat every time we lost this season. Hopefully, the fire within is awake now, because every game matters going down the stretch. Thankfully, most of our 'worst' challenges are behind us. Then, as long as the players can hold to their 1-0 outlook every week and trust their coaching staff, we're fine.

There is still not a team in the league that we can't beat head to head more times than not IMHO.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pete definitely puts an emphasis on peaking late.

Look at our record in December in the Wilson era. It's insane. I'm pretty sure we have the best December record in the NFL since 2012.

I'd like to see us hold serve at home better, and get our home game swagger back, but seeing the run we made in 2012, last year, and (hopefully) make this year, it's a pattern. We get hot at the right time.

People see it too. Pundits have been picking us as a darkhorse SB favorite even with a bad record. Even after a lot of our fans gave up on it, the "evil media" has been banging the drum that you can't count us out, as we play so well in the 2nd half of the year.

We're building confidence. We're getting some rhythm on offense. And we have the confidence and experience that we've made these end of the year runs before. If we beat Minny, we have a really good shot at running the table.

Unfortunately, after the Lions got robbed, we're doing GB a favor by beating the Vikings.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sutz":kt4vntz0 said:
Well, most years so far it hasn't been this bad, but there is something here. I think Pete has a philosophy that if we're within a game or so of .500 at mid season, we're doing OK. With that idea in mind, we can experiment with players and formations, rest players when we need to, hold players out if the injury risk is high, that kind of thing. Meanwhile, if we do maintain that 'within shooting distance' of the playoffs standing, we're in good shape mentally and physically for the stretch run.

I think you'll notice, if you look back, that we did try some things when certain games were getting out of hand, the old "they never cut Wilson loose until it is too late" meme that floats around here a lot. Or the "they never open up the game until it is too late." Same thing.

Their planning is big picture for the whole season, not just one game at a time. Even with all that in mind, we were barely beat every time we lost this season. Hopefully, the fire within is awake now, because every game matters going down the stretch. Thankfully, most of our 'worst' challenges are behind us. Then, as long as the players can hold to their 1-0 outlook every week and trust their coaching staff, we're fine.

There is still not a team in the league that we can't beat head to head more times than not IMHO.
Yup, it's pretty hard to argue against Pete's over-all success in the last few Years.
His Regular and post Season numbers as of late are hard to disqualify. :vodka:

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It's been my observation that the "direction of the wind" changes pretty quickly following a loss. As long as we continue to win in December, I'm a happy camper.

sutz

Reaction score
I alluded to this in the game day forum during out rout of Minnie.

What if, in the first half of the season, Pete and Bevell game plan a little differently and more like most teams do pre-season? What if they worried a little bit less about matchups and situational play-calling during the first 6-8 games like in pre-season, and as long as they are at or close to .500 they don't worry that much about records or standings?

Radical, I know, but it would explain some of the 'weirdness' of play calling that has been complained about around here the first half of the season. I look at some of the complaints around here over the past two months and I see a lot of "poor situational awareness" and "failure to exploit weaknesses" like holes in the defense due to missing or injured players. What if it is almost intentional? What if they are still "sizing up players" and "not revealing the playbook" all the way until the end of October, as long as they don't drop too many games?

I've always felt that if you're at .500 at the beginning of November or so, no problem, still in the playoff hunt. One could say that about being there at Thanksgiving. A bit of a streak and you're in the playoffs.

Just spitballing, of course, but it makes a weird kind of sense to me.