Why the Seattle Seahawks will 'win out'

ivotuk

Reaction score
That picture is fantastic! I keep thinking of Tomas Rawls as "Frogger" because he's a bit bowlegged and when he celebrates with his team mates, he "hops" in to the air with his legs dangling below him like frog legs. He gets such elevation and hang time, it amazes me.

The power in those legs must be something phenomenal. One of my pet theories is that some of the best football players are a bit bow-legged. It seems to give them some kind of extra leverage and added power. Marshawn, Tomas, and Cliff Avril have a bit of that going on.

From the article, it's this, so much this!!!

"(They are 15-3 in December under Pete Carroll, better than any other month, and last season finished 5-0). It’s been suggested that Carroll treats the first few games almost like pre-season games. While his team are undoubtedly trying to win, he is still experimenting and finding the optimal way to succeed for the second half of the season"

That's what he did in college, starting freshmen because instead of having a great team for 1 year, he would get 3 years out of them. It seems most college coaches only like to play juniors who have been in the system awhile.

Why would they do this? Because they are more concerned about protecting their job than anything else. For Pete Carroll and John Schneider it's all about Championships. If you're not winning them, you're wasting your time. That's why they play young players early, and take big risks. They're going for the brass ring, and nothing else matters.

This is also why Pete and John "Take Care of" players as well as they do. They are thinking long term, end of season. Other teams will use up a player early on to start out good, then be injury-depleted by the end of the season and throughout the playoffs. Seattle does it the opposite. It would be hard to see that considering the disastrous injuries we had late last year, but I still believe that Seattle takes better care of their players than any other team.

It's all 'bout the playoffs, and if you're successful there, you don't need to worry about job security.

That's why imho, Pettine should play Manziel. Sure he's an ass, sure Austin will win you a few games and maybe help you keep your job. But Davis will never win you a Championship, Manziel, despite all his personal problems can win you one. He's got that something extra.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'm in............not because of our schedule, but because I finally saw the energy Sunday in this team I'm used to seeing.

Pissed off, finally, pissed off.

Not sure why, maybe it's Pete, maybe it's this group of players. But they have to have that us against the world pissed off chip on their shoulder to bring out the necessary energy required down the stretch to get back to where we need to be.

And I saw that Sunday.

Seafan

Reaction score
We'll see. Minnesota would be the first win against a truly good team. Are they up for it? If the players on this team play up to their paychecks then I'd say the team has a chance. They haven't done that yet this year.

OP
OP
M

MB12

Reaction score
ivotuk":1n7gavh6 said:
That's why imho, Pettine should play Manziel. Sure he's an ass, sure Austin will win you a few games and maybe help you keep your job. But Davis will never win you a Championship, Manziel, despite all his personal problems can win you one. He's got that something extra.
In complete agreement with this. Plus they need to fully evaluate what they in Manziel. He has flashed at times and with more regular playing time you will learn whether he has the tools to succeed.

marko358

Reaction score
Seafan":9zf21hqx said:
We'll see. Minnesota would be the first win against a truly good team.

The Stealers are not a good team? Take a way the games where the rapist was out because of injury and they're among the deadliest teams in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seafan":2yd2zat9 said:
We'll see. Minnesota would be the first win against a truly good team. Are they up for it? If the players on this team play up to their paychecks then I'd say the team has a chance. They haven't done that yet this year.

See now, I see the Vikings as overrated. They've beaten the Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Bears, Lions, Rams, Falcons.......so how many quality wins in there? One?, and even that's debatable because they beat the Chiefs early when they stunk.

Don't get me wrong, they're a solid team, but IMO the Steelers and the 2-3 very good teams like the Bengals, Panthers and Packers that we had leads on were far harder tests.

HawkGA

Reaction score
MB12":2g3zcwze said:
ivotuk":2g3zcwze said:
In complete agreement with this. Plus they need to fully evaluate what they in Manziel. He has flashed at times and with more regular playing time you will learn whether he has the tools to succeed.

Not to go off topic further but I agree and disagree. I agree that they should play Manzel but not because I actually think he can bring them championships but because as MB12 said, they need to find out if he can.

HawkGA

Reaction score
As to the game in question, I actually view this as the last really difficult test and while I used to think it was tougher than the Steelers game, I'm beginning to think differently. I think this might just be a favorable match up regardless of how good the teams are. I think the Steelers were kind of a bad match up. I also think the AZ game is a pretty good lock for a win. Not because AZ might be resting players but but because the Seahawks aren't going to lose an important game like that. Until they show me otherwise, I believe the Cardinals will lose important games.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3ukdqozc said:
Seafan":3ukdqozc said:

See now, I see the Vikings as overrated. They've beaten the Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs, Bears, Lions, Rams, Falcons.......so how many quality wins in there? One?, and even that's debatable because they beat the Chiefs early when they stunk.

Don't get me wrong, they're a solid team, but IMO the Steelers and the 2-3 very good teams like the Bengals, Panthers and Packers that we had leads on were far harder tests.

Absolutely.

From a team perspective, the Steelers are a much tougher draw than Minny.

The Vikings game being on the road evens it out a bit, but the Steelers can score with anyone in the NFL.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":zqf5wnfa said:
MB12":zqf5wnfa said:
ivotuk":zqf5wnfa said:

What have you seen to make you believe Manziel can succeed in the NFL? He's shite m8.

I'm wondering the same thing.. I actually laughed out loud at the "he's got that something extra" quip.

Clearly this is the case since he was unable to beat out 75 year old Josh McCown in training camp.

OP
OP
M

MB12

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":19ih568j said:
MB12":19ih568j said:
ivotuk":19ih568j said:

What have you seen to make you believe Manziel can succeed in the NFL? He's shite m8.
A few plays where he created magic when there was nothing there. I'd agree that he has appeared shite much more often than not, but they would be spending their time better evaluating him under regular snaps and regular playing time. At least then they would know whether to keep him or cut their losses

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Not to be a grumpy old man but we really need to take this one game at a time. I feel like were putting the cart before the horse. Seen way to much stuff happen in the NFL to predict the last five games.

You can call this a " weak " division all you want to but I'm going to be nervous against the Rams. Pittsburgh is not a weak team either. Weak secondary yes but everything else looked pretty tough. Things seem to really hedge out with our team and that's why I think no matter how good a team we play is, we are still in the game. We have been playing games on a very thin line though. More so than the past 3 seasons and I think that's why things are so unpredictable.

Main reason why I have skepticism is we have been progressing very slowly. What if we've peaked? If we have, I really see us going 9-7. If the D improves then we could definitely go on a big run. Many have asked " what's wrong with our D"? IMO, it's because they have been making a ton of assignment mistakes.

I like the positive thought, I just don't think we can really tell how good this team is yet.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
ivotuk":3d6t5ah5 said:
It’s been suggested that Carroll treats the first few games almost like pre-season games. While his team are undoubtedly trying to win, he is still experimenting and finding the optimal way to succeed for the second half of the season"

That would explain a lot.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Seafan":x029qs3u said:

Are you talking about the Minnesota that got curb stomped by Santa Clara or the Minnesota that has its biggest quality win over oakland?

Cause in both cases, everyone is over rating these clowns. Trade their schedule with ours and we're 10-1 and they're 2-9.

Polaris

Reaction score
Optimus25":27jufl1n said:
Seafan":27jufl1n said:

Are you talking about the Minnesota that got curb stomped by Santa Clara or the Minnesota that has its biggest quality win over oakland?

Cause in both cases, everyone is over rating these clowns. Trade their schedule with ours and we're 10-1 and they're 2-9.

I think you are overstating that a bit. After all Minny has a DVOA of about +6% and that's actually pretty good. That said, I agree that it's not 8-3 good. By contrast Seattle has a DVOA of about 20% higher than this and that does not normally go with a 6-5 record. Essentially Minny's record is much better than their overall play indicates and Seattle's is worse, and part of that is the fact that until now Minny has had an absolute cake schedule, and the only decent team they've played in DVOA blew the door off them (Green Bay).

That's one reason why I am fairly optimistic about the game this weekend. It won't be easy. Minny is a good, quality team playing at home, but Seattle, esp the way we're playing of late is significantly better, and I think we prove it this weekend.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
ivotuk":7ebe2gko said:
That picture is fantastic! I keep thinking of Tomas Rawls as "Frogger" because he's a bit bowlegged and when he celebrates with his team mates, he "hops" in to the air with his legs dangling below him like frog legs. He gets such elevation and hang time, it amazes me.

The power in those legs must be something phenomenal. One of my pet theories is that some of the best football players are a bit bow-legged. It seems to give them some kind of extra leverage and added power. Marshawn, Tomas, and Cliff Avril have a bit of that going on.

From the article, it's this, so much this!!!

"(They are 15-3 in December under Pete Carroll, better than any other month, and last season finished 5-0). It’s been suggested that Carroll treats the first few games almost like pre-season games. While his team are undoubtedly trying to win, he is still experimenting and finding the optimal way to succeed for the second half of the season"

That's what he did in college, starting freshmen because instead of having a great team for 1 year, he would get 3 years out of them. It seems most college coaches only like to play juniors who have been in the system awhile.

Why would they do this? Because they are more concerned about protecting their job than anything else. For Pete Carroll and John Schneider it's all about Championships. If you're not winning them, you're wasting your time. That's why they play young players early, and take big risks. They're going for the brass ring, and nothing else matters.

This is also why Pete and John "Take Care of" players as well as they do. They are thinking long term, end of season. Other teams will use up a player early on to start out good, then be injury-depleted by the end of the season and throughout the playoffs. Seattle does it the opposite. It would be hard to see that considering the disastrous injuries we had late last year, but I still believe that Seattle takes better care of their players than any other team.

It's all 'bout the playoffs, and if you're successful there, you don't need to worry about job security.

You lost all credibility once you said manziel can win a championship. .. that's madness

olyfan63

Reaction score
marko358":2pvpn30u said:
Seafan":2pvpn30u said:

The Stealers are not a good team? Take a way the games where the rapist was out because of injury and they're among the deadliest teams in the NFL.

The Stealers are a damn good team. Big Ben was downright scary throwing all those deep throws.
I expect the Stealers to win out or damn near, at least every game Ben is able to play.

Polaris

Reaction score
olyfan63":34ku2dh1 said:
marko358":34ku2dh1 said:
Seafan":34ku2dh1 said:

The Stealers are a damn good team. Big Ben was downright scary throwing all those deep throws.
I expect the Stealers to win out or damn near, at least every game Ben is able to play.

Absolutely! The only reason Pitt looks as bad as it does recordwise is because Big Ben had to miss so many games. Pitt's weighted DVOA is +14.3% which is 8th in the entire NFL. By contrast Minny's weighted DVOA is only +5.8% which is 11th in the NFL.....and Pitt's offense targeted the weakest part of Seattle's defense this year. By contrast Minny's strength run right into the teeth of the strongest part of Seattle's defense this year.

Minny has faced exactly ONE good team this year (Green Bay) and they got their doors blown off....at home.