Seahawks formula proving once again

Cartire

Reaction score
I've said this the last couple years when we started slower then we liked.

Pete Carroll is smart. He's been coaching football for a long time. There's more to it then just winning every game. Save the scouting material for later. I'm not saying he coaches to lose. I am saying he doesnt show his hand to early.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Whether it's the micro (a game) or macrocosm (a season), this team's biggest mantra is finishing. Nowhere in this league is that more important than the final weeks of a season. Sure we didn't get the micro done in the first half of the season, but you had better believe when it MOST counts (making a run late in the season), this team hits another level.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I dont think Pete held anything back on ANY given game or season. He plays to win every week any way he can. He has adjusted and it worked. Nothing secretive about it. I think this style offense thrives on being able to spread the ball around more and not be beholden to any player. This has allowed Bevell the freedom to call whatever he wants. Plus lets not kids ourselves the front line has improved greatly. Not a dominate front line but tuning out to be good. I think we all were to impatient with them in beginning of season.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
We had become too predictable and Teams knew how to stop our offense and massacre our defense.
Now, we are back spreading love again ... and our diversity is showing. Teams don't know what's coming anymore. We are moving the ball, getting first downs, finishing tackles, keeping our gaps, ... etc.
I love this team. I love this team. Did I say ... I love this team?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Our OL is learning how to play together, how to make reads, how to cope with what defenses are throwing at them. And Bevell is calling way better games with quick throws. Way fewer 3-and-outs. All the 3 and outs were cancelling out our turnover advantage.

I think Pete's formula is to find guys he can bet on to succeed in his system, then work like mad to have the coaching staff coach them up. Pete and his staff believe in their ability to teach better than anyone else. I believe in it too. There can be growing pains along the way.

So fascinating how a couple small pieces, Patrick Lewis at C and benching Cary Williams for Shead can make all the other parts work better. Now the team is playing Pete Carroll football again, which was Pete's intention all along. I also think *Pete* has finally adjusted to the team he HAS, adjusted his scheme a little, and gotten guys in the right spots to succeed.

I don't think it's that Shead is so much better than Williams as a cover guy, as much as that he plays Pete's scheme where the other guys (Sherman, Kam, Earl) know what to expect and don't have to compensate for Williams not working within the system.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Williams couldn't get off a block, make a tackle or shoot the receiver a juke and make the tackle on the screen plays etc.
Just nothing pete wanted let alone coverage issues
Shead is a way better fit and doing great imho :2:

chris98251

Reaction score
Shead is string enough to play bump coverage and smart enough to play the quicker guys and try to get position on them. Williams had problems with both.

drdiags

Reaction score
Here is my thoughts. Seahawks are trying to get who their are into a winning formula. This year just took them too long to get where they need to go. I think they will fall short of their dreams.

nategreat

Reaction score
drdiags":392pj3ph said:
Here is my thoughts. Seahawks are trying to get who there are into a winning formula. This year just took them too long to get where they need to go. I think they will fall short of their dreams.

Huh? They seem to be catching fire at the right time.... it doesn't matter how long it takes, as long as you're able to make the playoffs, anything can happen. And again, they're catching fire at the perfect time.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
drdiags":2yhh72fi said:
Here is my thoughts. Seahawks are trying to get who there are into a winning formula. This year just took them too long to get where they need to go. I think they will fall short of their dreams.

They may fall short (only 31 teams a year dont) but what makes you think they will?

They are still one of, if not the best team in the NFC, that hasn't changed.

hawk45

Reaction score
Formula is a kind way of saying the OL has been awful early in the year the last few years, mostly due to injury.
There is definitely some learning that goes on but I would like to see them avoid too much disruption on the OL if they can and not overestimate what cable can do with nothing, because cable clearly isn't capable of self evaluation.

drdiags

Reaction score
Here is my thinking. I enjoy the challenge of having to win it all from being a 5th or 6th seed team. I still think they may have floundered too long to get where they want to go.Yeah, it isn't something we as fans want to hear but that is my thinking. Would love to be proved wrong but the fanboys cannot change this. The team has to.