What happened to Wilson?

King Dog

Reaction score
Three or four weeks ago I texted my buddy "Wilson Blows" after he did the move where he drops back, looks to pass for half a second and then starts running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

Dude has been ridiculous the past three weeks getting the ball out on time and then scrambling when needed. What changed?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The center? Also related we are getting production from the run game which may also be attributable to the center?

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
As much as people referred to Wilson holding the ball and "running like a chicken with it's head cut-off" the first half of the season, I attributed most of that to simply trying to extend plays in the face of protection meltdowns and utter lack of hot routes or even quicker developing routes. Some of those issues have been fixed to a degree, and Wilson is playing with much higher confidence.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I think Wilson had the yips early on in the year, and I was worried we were David Carr-ing him with the poor protection. Probably not a coincidence that as the OL has picked up, Wilson has (fortunately) been able to settle back in.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Its been mostly the oline solidifying and then the play design and call. Also Wilson has been given more ability to audible and has not been being badgered about TOs. They have just been letting him play

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2hjsh93n said:
Its been mostly the oline solidifying and then the play design and call. Also Wilson has been given more ability to audible and has not been being badgered about TOs. They have just been letting him play

How do you know this? I'm not trying to insult you, just curious how you came by this info.

I'm always willing to learn something new....I hope.

Anthony!

Reaction score
LymonHawk":18l6sf3p said:
Anthony!":18l6sf3p said:

How do you know this? I'm not trying to insult you, just curious how you came by this info.

I heard Moon talking about it on the radio earlier this week. He said in the past Wilson was given 3 plays the one they wanted run and 2 to audible too. Now he gets the play they want but can audible to any play he likes, In fact the 53 yard td to Baldwin was an audible, according to Doug he even ran the wrong route LOL. PC said last week the biggest thing has been the protection.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Anthony!":13orbe7h said:

Wilson was part of the problem early in the year too. It wasnt just the line and play calling. It was a three headed monster.

And all three are now playing much, much better.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":2khxrck1 said:
LymonHawk":2khxrck1 said:
Anthony!":2khxrck1 said:

I heard Moon talking about it on the radio earlier this week. He said in the past Wilson was given 3 plays the one they wanted run and 2 to audible too. Now he gets the play they want but can audible to any play he likes, In fact the 53 yard td to Baldwin was an audible, according to Doug he even ran the wrong route LOL. PC said last week the biggest thing has been the protection.

Cool. Thank you.

Davidess

Reaction score
The thing with Wilson lately I think is it has to do with Patrick Lewis. He is helping out more with protection calls than Nowak was.

hes audibled in the past when hes faced that same zero blitz (bringing all defenders and leaving the corners in man coverage) he did it against the saints a couple years ago when Rob Ryan would do it. and it went to Baldwin. he did it I believe in the NFCCG. Hes done it numerous times so his audibles aren't something new. I honestly believe its his getting the ball out when the WRs have hit the top of their route and not waiting to see if they're open. Hes also been patient with protection and staying in/stepping up into the pocket.
His game has improved since Patrick Lewis took over the C position. Just my analysis.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1m4eyz3s said:
Anthony!":1m4eyz3s said:

Wilson was part of the problem early in the year too. It wasnt just the line and play calling. It was a three headed monster.

And all three are now playing much, much better.

okay and were did I say he was not part of the problem or was part of the problem. I think Wilson was trying to do to much in the beginning,

BigMeach

Reaction score
It's called horrible protection. Plain and simple.

Announcer: "Wilson's pressured up the middle, he jukes and the defender misses. Wilson looks for an escape from a collapsing pocket, looks left, Guards beat, defender. Looks right, Guards beat, defender. Looks back, Tackle was beat, defender. Looks forward, sacked.

*picks up phone to text: "Man he looks like a chicken with his head cut off, what's the deal?!"

justafan

Reaction score
Anthony!":93d1yjku said:

A lot of assumptions.

getnasty

Reaction score
Anybody else think it has something to do with Marshawn being gone? Just seems like he feels like this offense is his now and isn't holding back. Almost like it gave him and Bevell freedom to do what they want, not what they think they should. No question the OL has been better to.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
getnasty":4jcduwai said:
Anybody else think it has something to do with Marshawn being gone? Just seems like he feels like this offense is his now and isn't holding back. Almost like it gave him and Bevell freedom to do what they want, not what they think they should. No question the OL has been better to.
No

jammerhawk

Reaction score
As soon as Bevell adjusted to a shorter pass game and the pass pro improved to close to normal Russell lost the yips and starting playing as well as we know he can.

There is also the significantly improved running game which forces the opposing D to respect the PA. The OLine experiment finally started to work.