The Red Zone offense

Laloosh

Reaction score
Bevell found this guide.

Hotrouteswrtemadden13 thumb

Obviously I don't qualify so I fell back on levity. Sorry.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I struggle to understand if there even needs to be an "or" dividing your questions, peaches. It seems like some of everything, but something PC said in a press conference probably is the main cause: he said he, Bevell and Cable together decided after looking at the first half of the season to create quicker throwing options in the game plan. That means it stated with pre-game strategic play calling.

That, in turn, gave Russ some confidence that he wasn't going to get beat up by a blitz or even 4-man pressure. Because the throws were faster, he had to throw receivers open. These two facets gave Russ more confidence in throwing bullets over the middle, too.

Effective throwing and running with Rawls probably creates more hesitancy from the D-lineman, which is giving our line an advantage. Couple that with Lewis returning, our line just having more games under it's belt, and gelling, low and behold Russ is now getting more time to throw overall, but doesn't always need it.

Granted, the defenses we've played since the bye aren't as tough, which factors in, too. But all of these things contribute to greater confidence from Russ, better execution from the Receivers, and more satisfaction by the O-line for contributing to the success. It's a win-win all the way around.

As to your specific question in the Red Zone, it's just an extension of our general execution success, I think.

Of course, I could be wrong about all of this and it's just some freak coincidence that will collapse this week, or next.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd like to see a break down of how many TD's were scored from what yard line in the red zone. I'm betting we averaged the 10 or 12 yard line for the Ravens game. Which would tell me:

The OL is playing better, and Rawls is a very good short yardage back. He doesn't need much of a crack and he's low to the ground and powerful. He's been money on the 1 and 2 yard runs for TD's.

Also, the OL is playing better, giving Russ time to get deeper into his progressions. The defense is having a harder time keying on one player. Fans were bitching that Graham wasn't a red zone threat like he was supposed to be, but I'm betting half the time (of the plays that I cared to review) I saw him, he had a minimum of 2 guys and many times 3 guys covering him.

Also we went to a quicker passing game, allowing Russ to get more in rhythm. Look at the Lockett TD where he caught the ball and broke 2 tackles to get into the end zone. That was Russ being patient and taking what the defense gave him.

There's a ton of factors that I've seen, but to aggragate: the OL is blocking better, both rushing and passing. Wilson is playing a ton better, to go along with a scheme that is playing to our WR strengths: quick releases and sudden breaks in precise routes. Look at the guys catching all the TD's lately: Baldwin and Lockett. These are guys that get quick separation and get open on plays like slants that are tougher to defend quickly. Wilson is getting the ball out quicker, which is tougher to defend, and he's not taking sacks, which is eliminating negative plays.

This is one knock I've had on Bevell and lots of others have as well: we don't always scheme/play to our personnel strengths. How many fades have we seen to Baldwin and we're all like "WTF?!". This is what an offense looks like when you play to player's strengths. Sorry for the long post.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":xuievbdy said:
What has happened in recent weeks? Seems like for the first 8 or 9 games, we were REALLY struggling to do much in the red zone. Even last year, it felt like if we got inside the 20, our chances of scoring a TD dropped to almost nil and we'd wind up either turning it over or kicking the FG.

So what has happened? I'm asking an honest question as a rube who wants some smarter people to tell me if it's just that Russell is playing better, the O-line is playing better, or if it really is that Bevell has figured out how to play to our strengths in the RZ and come away with touchpoints instead of kicking the oblong ball through the big H.

E D U C A T E M E B O Y S
I don't claim to be smarter than you, but I think it's all of the things you listed plus Patrick Lewis starting at center.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawks46":wvca68t4 said:
I'd like to see a break down of how many TD's were scored from what yard line in the red zone. I'm betting we averaged the 10 or 12 yard line for the Ravens game. Which would tell me:

The OL is playing better, and Rawls is a very good short yardage back. He doesn't need much of a crack and he's low to the ground and powerful. He's been money on the 1 and 2 yard runs for TD's.

Also, the OL is playing better, giving Russ time to get deeper into his progressions. The defense is having a harder time keying on one player. Fans were bitching that Graham wasn't a red zone threat like he was supposed to be, but I'm betting half the time (of the plays that I cared to review) I saw him, he had a minimum of 2 guys and many times 3 guys covering him.

Also we went to a quicker passing game, allowing Russ to get more in rhythm. Look at the Lockett TD where he caught the ball and broke 2 tackles to get into the end zone. That was Russ being patient and taking what the defense gave him.

There's a ton of factors that I've seen, but to aggragate: the OL is blocking better, both rushing and passing. Wilson is playing a ton better, to go along with a scheme that is playing to our WR strengths: quick releases and sudden breaks in precise routes. Look at the guys catching all the TD's lately: Baldwin and Lockett. These are guys that get quick separation and get open on plays like slants that are tougher to defend quickly. Wilson is getting the ball out quicker, which is tougher to defend, and he's not taking sacks, which is eliminating negative plays.

This is one knock I've had on Bevell and lots of others have as well: we don't always scheme/play to our personnel strengths. How many fades have we seen to Baldwin and we're all like "WTF?!". This is what an offense looks like when you play to player's strengths. Sorry for the long post.
Solid points. While impressed with the offensive output, I'll be truly impressed when they do it against the Cards and Pathers defenses.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
A lot of things have happened. First and foremost, Russell Wilson has reached a level of peak performance that Carroll's philosophy is geared toward achieving. The game has slowed down for him. He is reading and reacting instantaneously, in the moment, rather than overthinking himself. He is finding open receivers that he was mostly neglecting in the first half of the season.

All five starting offensive linemen are now playing with solid technique. They are holding more of their blocks at a higher rate than they were a month and a half ago. Even when they are overmatched, they are finding a way to get it done. Garry Gilliam is playing really well, coming off the best game of his career.

Beyond just needing more games to find a rhythm, I think the whole team felt the sense of urgency after all those close losses and the injuries to Graham and Marshawn. The competitive spirit that is organizational focal point motivated them to step up their games when they needed to the most.

It's really too bad the most challenging games came in the first half the schedule before the team hit its stride. Hopefully they can remain locked in and playing with the killer instinct that has made them one of the most successful franchises in recent years.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Could have a lot to do with Rawls. He looks for the hole first, then a crease, then a crack. Takes what is there, but damn near always gets positive yards. Not above just lowering his head and plowing in or thru. Kinda remins me of Terrel Davis.

Thus, our pass game evolved, and now, instead of looking for the home run or the dink butt dump, RW is staying in the pocket, and we seem to be targeting the 8 to 15 yard zone with lots of our passes. We now throw to the middle, you know, the place we darn near NEVER threw it before.

Almost seems like we now run a true WC offense. RW is finally throwing people open, and letting them do more of the heavy lifting, and, for now, it is working.

Fade

Reaction score
MIke Holmgren speculated on one of his radio segments that RW had a meeting with Bevell, and demanded changes after the Arizona game.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Any more tidbits to share from Holmgren's POV? Whether it went down exactly that way or not, it would be interesting to hear.
What did Holmgren think RW would be demanding? Did he think Bevell was the obstacle?
Actually, Holmgren is right about Wilson meeting with Bevell; I'm sure this is weekly routine. So I doubt Russ even had to arrange anything special. He would have only needed to be vocal and emphatic, with specific points to make. Probably would have happened on Tell-The-Truth Monday.

Fade

Reaction score
olyfan63":1yd3b05e said:
Any more tidbits to share from Holmgren's POV? Whether it went down exactly that way or not, it would be interesting to hear.
What did Holmgren think RW would be demanding? Did he think Bevell was the obstacle?
Actually, Holmgren is right about Wilson meeting with Bevell; I'm sure this is weekly routine. So I doubt Russ even had to arrange anything special. He would have only needed to be vocal and emphatic, with specific points to make. Probably would have happened on Tell-The-Truth Monday.

He wasn't referring to typical weekly meetings. I will see if I can find it for you.

*EDIT*
12-9 Holmgren & Hugh

27:54 mark
"Something has happened. I really think that a couple weeks ago after [post AZ game] either Bevell, or Russell or something. Saying okay, we're not operating the way we should be operating here by our standards. What can we do differently? If I'm the QB. If I'm Russell, I initiate that meeting. If they didn't call me in, I'm going to go in there, and say can we talk about this?"

Holmgren in the segment also talks about the coaches whether it's PC, or Bevell trusting RW more, and giving RW more freedom.

http://www.iheart.com/show/Mitch-in-the-Morning-OnDemand/?episode_id=27404807

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Well there are a couple of things I have noticed.

IMHO Bevell is an excellent play designer however his playbook has one major flaw that has been well discussed - time to develop.

Bevell's plays, though well constructed take very long to develop. He loves to utilize the field from 15-30 yards. This is what often leads to the criticism of simple passing tree as the receivers haven't finished their routes by the time the play is over.

One thing can disrupt Bevell's play design in a big way - pressure. This manifests in two ways. First, simply getting pressure can simply disrupt the play design as receivers can execute their routes. More importantly, at least related to the red zone, is that when teams can get pressure while dropping lots of players into coverage - it disrupts play design because it becomes more difficult to fool the defense because more guys are watching.

All of these things make it difficult for Bevell's passing scheme to work in the red zone. His plays usually don't have the room to develop (as he likes to exploit from 15-30 yards) and there are more guys in a smaller space so it is tougher to cleverly design plays. So the full analysis is a bit more nuanced but that is the crux of it. I think Bevell is one of the best offensive coordinators between the 20s but his shortcomings become more glaring inside the 20.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong, but havent A LOT of our TDs been from OUTSIDE the red zone?

It doesn't seem like we've really gotten better in the redzone, it's more like we've been able to score BEFORE we get into the redzone.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":fem3jgrf said:
bjornanderson21":fem3jgrf said:
Correct me if im wrong, but havent A LOT of our TDs been from OUTSIDE the red zone?

It doesn't seem like we've really gotten better in the redzone, it's more like we've been able to score BEFORE we get into the redzone.

You're not necessarily wrong, but we've improved a LOT in the RZ in recent weeks. I can't be arsed looking up the actual numbers, but I'm 100% certain the numbers from week 10 onward are a lot better than weeks 1-9.

Weeks 1-10:
http://pfref.com/tiny/gHX5n

Weeks 11-14:
http://pfref.com/tiny/gGs24

Take note of who's getting targets on those pages as well.