The NFL wants you to believe this is not DPI

hawknation2015

Reaction score
HighHelpfulHammerkop

ElatedNimbleFrigatebird

Apparently, pretending to stumble into a receiver, in order to materially restrict him from catching the ball, is now considered an exception to the rule against defensive pass interference. Traditionally, the "tangled feet" exception only applied when both players were actually fighting for the ball. Now, it appears the referees are allowing defenders to get away with falling onto (and tackling) receivers before the ball has arrived.

No wonder the Seahawks have benefited from only two DPI calls the entire season.

"Look into the light."
Mib neuralyzer

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
The play involving Smith was blatant. I ranted at the TV for 10 minutes on that one. Just no excuse for not throwing a flag there.

Not sure that the Jackson play was much less blatant. Maybe slightly and you have the defender looking at the ball a bit more but it still looks a lot more like PI than anything else.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Yeah both plays are clear and blatant PI. The challenge by Pete was also a good one as well. Had that been dropped in the field of play and recovered by the Seahawks that pass would have been ruled incomplete. It was no more or less a catch than in the Dallas game. So incredibly inconsistent.
Whats even more frustrating is listening to the so called experts talk out of both sides of their mouths on any given Sunday. Whatever fits their narritive that day is completely different in another game or another Sunday. Its getting to the point that i don't know if the product I'm watching is in fact untampered.

Basis4day

Reaction score
I tend to not worry about DPI while we're on offense because we want the refs to call the game loose when we're on defense.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Basis4day":g7hnt3sk said:
I tend to not worry about DPI while we're on offense because we want the refs to call the game loose when we're on defense.

I want them to call it by the rules in every situation. We are no more in danger of DPI calls than any team in the league, and probably less so because the technique and discipline of our secondary is so strong.

It is almost as if the league has bought in to that false narrative that you just presented, and they couldn't "catch us" when they attempted to tighten the rules last season, so now they are punishing us by not calling any DPIs in our favor. It's a half-baked theory, yet I can't think of any other explanation for the continual willful blindness of the referees.

Don't get me started on being Bottom 5 in the league in holding calls in our favor, despite having two of the better pass rushing DEs.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":3vl82kcg said:

That's fine for borderline infractions. It's not often that you see non calls as egregious as the two in question here.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
I'm down with "taking what the league will give you" - after all, the LOB have employed that philosophy for several years now - but these are just bad calls. Open receivers, good throws, and clearly disruptive contact - not just hand-fighting and leverage-gaining, but out-and-out tackling - before the play.

253hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":18zg5pnq said:
No wonder the Seahawks have benefited from only two DPI calls the entire season.

And guess who's #1 with 19 benefited...

:tardssmall:

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
The Jackson play looks really similar to a play in the Bengals game, where the Seahawks got called for PI. I want to say it was Cary Williams who got called for it but I think it was someone else.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
253hawk":jngbcj38 said:
hawknation2015":jngbcj38 said:

Yeah, disgusting, Arizona has had only two DPIs called against them all season long, yet they are #1 in the league, by a wide margin, in DPIs called against their opponents.

Arizona is also #1 in fewest holding calls and #6 in most calls against their opponents. :34853_doh:

The league average is 19.9. Arizona has only been called for nine, total, which has to be some kind of record.

mirrikat45

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3b6pd89l said:
Whats even more frustrating is listening to the so called experts talk out of both sides of their mouths on any given Sunday. Whatever fits their narritive that day is completely different in another game or another Sunday. Its getting to the point that i don't know if the product I'm watching is in fact untampered.

The announcers definitely make it worse. You would think that the NFL would sit down with the announcers and teach them what these calls are. The NFL already does this by sending out teams of REFs to teams to help the team better understand and learn what these calls are. This would at least allow the announcers to stop guessing and talking out there ass. They cause more confusion and controversy with their ignorance.

Now, I'm not saying they are THE PROBLEM, clearly the problem is impact of human judgement and perception, ambiguous rules, and dynamic enforcement policies that don't match the rules (Calling the game "Tight" or "Loose" based on play styles of teams and rather or not the game is preseason, regular, or postseason).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I was saying this during the game too.

Note to DBs: Commit all the DPI you want. Just pretend to stumble and you will get away with it every time.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
hawknation2015":13f8vbiq said:
253hawk":13f8vbiq said:
hawknation2015":13f8vbiq said:

Yeah, disgusting, Arizona has had only two DPIs called against them all season long, yet they are #1 in the league, by a wide margin, in DPIs called against their opponents.

Arizona is also #1 in fewest holding calls and #6 in most calls against their opponents. :34853_doh:

The league average is 19.9. Arizona has only been called for nine, total, which has to be some kind of record.

A large part of that disparity probably comes from the abomination that was November 15th.

They must be insanely talented at not committing penalties, while at the same time drawing their opponents into them.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Basis4day":3o2sfo7w said:

The only problem with that is I haven't seen our DB's have a PI that blatant all year long. Even Williams didn't do that.

Both of those were ridiculously blatant. I don't know how you can screw that up. On top of that, Pete needs to incorporate the "stumble into the WR" technique into offseason workouts. "Hell, it was incidental. Our guy fell."

On the bright side, I'm amazed that ball still hit Smith in the hands. Hell of a job of concentration. He could end up being decent.

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3pdozmv3 said:
For the Smith DPI, I think the ref was just following an unwritten rule - Remember that Cleveland had jumped off-sides on that play, so we in essence had a "Free Play" that Russell could throw up without a danger of an interception....well, because it was a "free play." I think that refs don't like to throw DPI flags on these type of plays even when it as as egregious as this one because it in effect can end up overly rewarding the offensive team for a ball that just gets thrown up for grabs.

For the other play where Jackson basically got tackled? Totally should have been DPI.

Optimus25

Reaction score
In real time on Sunday i thought Smith's was way worse, as when i saw Fred jax's i just chalked it up to him being a running back and not playing the ball properly.

Upon review, Freds looks almost worse. Just a complete last ditch effort by the backer to fully take out the legs and try to get away with leg tangle... Which was successful for them.

Jville

Reaction score
In addition to pass interference, the take down of Jackson looks like clipping to me. It is how players get hurt. IIRC wasn't that how Paul Richardson was injured? A defender ran up on the back of his legs .... clipped him.

It brings real meaning the Tyler Lockett statement to Russell Wilson .... "don't ever under throw me".

But what do I know? I see no consistency from officials. I have zero trust in them. I am left with a belief that officiating is haphazard at best and biased for geographical and programming reasons at worse.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
The officiating in the NFL is perhaps worse than it's ever been. it is certainly more inconsistent than it has ever been in the 51 years I've been watching pro football.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
It's just bad reffing and that's the only real answer this season. You see this week in and week out in every game and it doesn't seem to be getting better as the season goes on. Until the NFL (a billion dollar industry) has FULL TIME refs and properly punishes those said refs when they make blatant and bad calls over and over, it will never change. You see the NFL higher ups excusing bad calls that every normal fan can see and then trying to use the nothing to see here Jedi mind tricks after the games, only problem... only the NFL believes in their Jedi mind tricks, the rest of us know it's just a fake movie and can see the problem every week.