Article: Seahawks Replay Booth - RW Has Changed

Laloosh

Reaction score
Nice piece by Danny Kelly about how a particular aspect of Russell's pocket play has changed.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2015/12/21/10 ... er-lockett

Danny Kelly":k2b03l64 said:
But, while you'll hear the numbers and marvel, the eye test of Wilson's progression to the next level is apparent as well. These aren't fluky numbers. Wilson has changed. That was never more apparent to me than on his touchdown pass to Tyler Lockett on the first play of the fourth quarter on Sunday.

Now I need to go watch that SFX.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sou ... ell-Wilson

"oof, oof, oof, oof."

Hawks46

Reaction score
Good post.

I'm really impressed with Wilson. It has to be hard for a guy with his physical skills to decide when to step up in the pocket, and when to take off and make something happen on his own. This progression we've seen makes me feel really good about his contact he just signed. The question always was: when his legs slow down, can he make it happen from the pocket? And the answer is a resounding: YES !

It's also impressive when you think about what he's gone through: he took a historic, David Carr - esque beating behind this same OL the first half of the season, yet he is trusting them now.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Can't read the article right this second, but.

I was watching Brees last night, and it really does look like both Russ and the coaching staff are taking some cues.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson can lose a step and still be a threat, he was out running LB's and secondary guys on some of those plays when he decides to really go for it like on that almost Touchdown a couple weeks ago. He does not live with his legs he is a threat with them. Saying that he will be able to scramble and still run when there is a gap for 5 to ten yards when they open up a lane like we see.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Very nice article with great video to make the points. Remember, Russ is in year 4. He's maturing into what he's likely to be for the next 10 or so years. It's going to be a beautiful thing to watch.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ProFootballHOF/status/679384173962989569[/tweet]

Cartire

Reaction score
funny enough, about the Bevell coaching in the SFX, I remember bringing this up, and many members getting mad at Bevell for "blaming" RW on why the TD wasnt complete. Love it.

rideaducati

Reaction score
chris98251":3mehd34j said:
Wilson can lose a step and still be a threat, he was out running LB's and secondary guys on some of those plays when he decides to really go for it like on that almost Touchdown a couple weeks ago. He does not live with his legs he is a threat with them. Saying that he will be able to scramble and still run when there is a gap for 5 to ten yards when they open up a lane like we see.

Where do Russell's legs live?

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
I thought it would take him a little longer to become the pocket passer he is. I'm so damn glad I was wrong. Holy, Russell looks like he's the best QB in the league and honestly the only one that could challenge him would be Rodgers.....

chris98251

Reaction score
rideaducati":2a1w6rzm said:
chris98251":2a1w6rzm said:

Ask Ciara, regardless of your attempt at humor it's a reference to Vick and what he was initially, he had to learn to be a QB once he started to get injured.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Cartire":3kvm2xoq said:
funny enough, about the Bevell coaching in the SFX, I remember bringing this up, and many members getting mad at Bevell for "blaming" RW on why the TD wasnt complete. Love it.

Thing is, being able to coach pocket presence and having a bad passing philosophy are not mutually exclusive. We've all seen the all-22 of play designs that gave Russell very little to work with when you combine poor pass blocking with long developing routes (and no outlet underneath).

That's not to say that Russ didn't need to change things on his end. He made plenty of mistakes. I just think that the passing game has changed in general for the team and they've found a really nice rhythm. How much of it was Russ and how much of it was Bevell isn't a big deal for me at this point. I'm just happy that it's improved.

I still get pissed off when I see us running some of the misdirection stuff against teams that we could probably gash up the middle. CLE was on top of that stuff on Sunday but we still called it on more than one occasion.

rideaducati

Reaction score
chris98251":2yzntlur said:
rideaducati":2yzntlur said:
chris98251":2yzntlur said:

Ask Ciara, regardless of your attempt at humor it's a reference to Vick and what he was initially, he had to learn to be a QB once he started to get injured.

What can I say? I'm a smartass. :17:

HHawk121

Reaction score
I just want to know why it took 3 and 1/2 years for quick-slants to get introduced to the playbook...

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawks46":em2js16g said:
Good post.

I'm really impressed with Wilson. It has to be hard for a guy with his physical skills to decide when to step up in the pocket, and when to take off and make something happen on his own. This progression we've seen makes me feel really good about his contact he just signed. The question always was: when his legs slow down, can he make it happen from the pocket? And the answer is a resounding: YES !

It's also impressive when you think about what he's gone through: he took a historic, David Carr - esque beating behind this same OL the first half of the season, yet he is trusting them now.

David Carr's sack rate followed him to other teams because he never got rid of the ball. It had nothing to do with his line. It rarely has anything to do with the line. Wilson is succeeding because Bevell's revised playbook has put him into a rhythm and set him, his line, and his receivers up to succeed.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":uhrtd7qt said:
David Carr's sack rate followed him to other teams because he never got rid of the ball. It had nothing to do with his line. It rarely has anything to do with the line. Wilson is succeeding because Bevell's revised playbook has put him into a rhythm and set him, his line, and his receivers up to succeed.

Correct on both counts! I have been w-a-i-t-i-n-g for Bevell's supposed WCO background/knowledge to show up. Long after I concluded that 'knowledge' a farce, and attributed it to Brett Favre, he suddenly demonstrates some knowhow. What a relief! WTF took so long?! Was it Pete's dogged determination to stay almost exclusively with run and PA? That part has never made sense to me, because we've had some horrible pass pro in seasons prior.

Maybe part of it was waiting for Russ to progress far enough in calling the correct protections? For what ever reason, there was an extreme reluctance on somebody's part. This was WELL overdue!

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
hgwellz12":2lnoeo5l said:
I'm just happy to be here... And I have a son coming into this thing called life in February! He will grow up watching one of the most exciting players of his generation!
Congrats!

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Mojambo":cc9jj0jr said:
Can't read the article right this second, but.

I was watching Brees last night, and it really does look like both Russ and the coaching staff are taking some cues.

Appears Kirk Cousins studies Brees as well. He came up with the acronym WWDBD (what would Drew Brees do) for a situational guide. Smart man!