Richard Sherman's Four Ways to Improve Officiating

rideaducati

Reaction score
They need to get one official sitting in front of replay monitors that can determine the ruling of a replay. There is no reason for an official to have to walk to the end of the field and step into a confessional for 5 minutes when a guy already in a booth with monitors could determine the right call within seconds.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
rideaducati":2tviayzc said:
They need to get one official sitting in front of replay monitors that can determine the ruling of a replay. There is no reason for an official to have to walk to the end of the field and step into a confessional for 5 minutes when a guy already in a booth with monitors could determine the right call within seconds.

I wonder if it would be feasible to overrule a call on the field without a challenge or review under normal circumstances? Like, for example, the facemask call on Rodgers at the end of the Lion game.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Seanhawk":wmchylgq said:
rideaducati":wmchylgq said:

I wonder if it would be feasible to overrule a call on the field without a challenge or review under normal circumstances? Like, for example, the facemask call on Rodgers at the end of the Lion game.

Of course it would be feasible. The guy in the booth should be the guy in charge. He should get on the guys on the field for missing calls and tell them to watch certain players that he sees are actually committing penalties. He could have a live feed to the field referees to tell them to drop the flag or to pick it up. Then, when playoffs come, the entire referee teams with the best grades get those games. It would be rather simple and would get some of these 60 year old guys out of the elements.

sutz

Reaction score
rideaducati":1lulkg6v said:
Except that was the way it was on the first go-around. Nobody liked decisions being made by that "eye-in-the-sky" and they suspended replay for several years, until after the Testaverde helmet bungle against us. Then they re-instated replay, but put a lot of constraints on it so it seemed less like the NFL was going all Skynet on the games. They limited the number of situations subject to replay and set up the booth for the on-field Head Ref to make the calls.

I don't have a problem with an additional guy watching video full time in some kind of advisory capacity, but nobody (except apparently you) wants decisions made by some yoyo in New York over the guys actually on the field. I think it isn't actually that bad, although I do support a thorough review of the rule book to simplify it and make it more understandable.

OrFan

Reaction score
I fully agree with a separate official doing the replay. The idiot on the field who made the bad call the first time doesn't want to admit fault. Yes, it takes far too long also.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I thought it was insightful and well written.

That said, if he was buttering up the refs a bit, hell, we need it. Look at the horrific non calls in last week's game. DPI doesn't get any more obvious than that.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Hawks46":3sb74j6h said:

That said, if he was buttering up the refs a bit, hell, we need it. Look at the horrific non calls in last week's game. DPI doesn't get any more obvious than that.

Except when Kam breathes on a wide receiver before the ball arrives.

chris98251

Reaction score
Buttering up versus the reach around by Fisher, you make the call.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
sutz":25fekujw said:
rideaducati":25fekujw said:
Except that was the way it was on the first go-around. Nobody liked decisions being made by that "eye-in-the-sky" and they suspended replay for several years, until after the Testaverde helmet bungle against us. Then they re-instated replay, but put a lot of constraints on it so it seemed less like the NFL was going all Skynet on the games. They limited the number of situations subject to replay and set up the booth for the on-field Head Ref to make the calls.

I don't have a problem with an additional guy watching video full time in some kind of advisory capacity, but nobody (except apparently you) wants decisions made by some yoyo in New York over the guys actually on the field. I think it isn't actually that bad, although I do support a thorough review of the rule book to simplify it and make it more understandable.

Except on that first go-round they had way fewer cameras and certainly nothing like HD monitors. With today's technology – including GPS trackers, etc. – the case could be made that the only reason to have refs on the field at all is to place the ball, announce the calls, and break up fights.

And it's not necessary to consolidate everything to New York. They could have 2 on field, and have the other 5 refs in the stadium watching their assigned areas like they already do, but on screens with multiple angles instantaneously. Of course that won't happen overnight, but 10 years from now? I wouldn't be surprised to see something along those lines.

The way to implement this would be to run a shadow, monitor-based officiating system to gather data. After each week, the central office looks at the info regarding number of penalties, grades for crews, time spent on replays, etc., as compared to the on-field ref performance and determines which areas benefit and which could still be improved.

There's no harm in trying to make the officiating better. It would just take a concerted effort on the part of the $10 billion NFL to train refs, set up the booth, and give it a go. One problem of course is more efficient games (i.e., shorter) result in less ad revenue.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
His first Idea is by far and a way the most important. Reducing the rules and making them clear and concise would really be a huge help. The constant conferences to talk about the play would not be necessary and it would reduce the amount of flags thrown imo.

Hawks46

Reaction score
rideaducati":27m27o35 said:
Hawks46":27m27o35 said:

Except when Kam breathes on a wide receiver before the ball arrives.

Or when Sherman plays Arizona and they need a first down. The ref's explanation on that was ridiculous.