Russell 's biggest rival in the next decade ...

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Based on what we have seen in the last 4 years, we can assume that Russell Wilson will dominate the QB conversation the next 10 years. Manning will soon retire. Brady has a couple more years, until he can hang it up.

Who do you think, will be Russell's biggest Rival in the NFC (the guy who will prevent Russell from reaching the SB) in the next 10 years?

Russell Wilson is 27.
To me, Cam Newton ( 26 yo and part of a stable organization) could be Russell's biggest rival in the next decade. The fact that he has not yet won a SB, is going to keep him very very hungry. And I believe, Cam will always be compared to Russell. Russell already has a ring.
Last, I think the Media will try to make Russell vs Cam as the next Brady vs Manning.
I intentionally disregarded AFC QBs.

Who is yours?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Rodgers.

On .NET probably Andrew Luck even though they play once every 4 years.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
A-Rod.

No one else even deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence. Sorry Luck lovers, but your qb aint close to ours.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Cowherd had Cosell from NFL films on last week, and they both agreed the next rivalry was Wilson vs. Newton.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Let's be honest: Luck has been all hype, and very few tangible results. I don't want to make this thread about Luck, but I think we can all agree that, if the AFC South was a little bit more competitive, Luck would be Blake Bortel.

Back to Russell's biggest Rival: I don't think Rogers will be around in a decade. Sometimes, I even wonder if he will be around in 5 years. Maybe it is just me, but Rogers doesn't seem to have that drive for perfection like Brady or Manning.

Does anyone thing RGIII or CK7 will resurrect their career somewhere else next year and become Wilson rivals again? Any thoughts on Matt Ryan? His stock has seriously plummeted lately.

sutz

Reaction score
Can be tough to call in advance, but right now it does look like Cam. It kind of was Kapernick for a bit, but he lost his staying power and it isn't clear that he even has a future in the league. Perhaps if he can resurrect and catch on with a winning franchise he could get back into the mix.

chris98251

Reaction score
To be a rival they have to win consistently both the other team and us. Could be Newton, Could be Tannehill, Could be the next Dallas QB or the Next Arizona QB, I like the last idea best since it would be in the division. Cousins is the only QB I think playing well that was drafted about the same time as him that is presently winning other then Newton.

drrew

Reaction score
joeseahawks":gpt4emfu said:
Let's be honest: Luck has been all hype, and very few tangible results.

Nope. Let's be honest and point out that Andrew Luck is a very very good quarterback. He's not as good as Wilson, but then nobody has been as good as Wilson at this point in his career.

The QB conversation over the next decade will be Wilson, Newton, Luck, and probably Winston, maybe Mariota.

CPHawk

Reaction score
How old is Rodgers? He's no spring chicken right now.

2_0_6

Reaction score
His ego.

If he keeps it in check and continues to work as hard as he is, the possibilities for him are endless.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CPHawk":2tc3du11 said:
How old is Rodgers? He's no spring chicken right now.

Just turned 32.

I don't think that takes away from a whole lot though, Green Bay and Seattle will be contenders as long as Rodgers and Wilson are under center for each respective team.

I guess Cam Newton can be that guy too.. but right now I think its Rodgers.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Unless GB gets a new coach it'll be Cam. McCarthy kinda blows.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
For the most part, rivalries are a media creation.

Like any QB intent on greatness, Russell's greatest rival for the next decade is injury, a bad GM, complacency, and a bad coaching staff. The rest is media drivel, those things, plus a few I likely omitted, are what Russell has to overcome to get greatness.

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I have heard lots of QBs ... but the ones I haven't heard yet would be (and they are very intriguing):
Johnny Manziel ... (starting in Dallas, nice O-Line, ...)
RG III ... (Maybe in Philly under Chip? )
CK7 ... (Maybe as and Eagle under Chip?)
Call me crazy, but I believe ONE of the guys above is one stable and patient organization away from becoming an excellent QB. Remember where Cam was 3 years ago?

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Despite all these qualities, I'm sure he is not alone. There is probably another guy out there, willing to match stride for stride Russell's work ethic, drive for success, ... etc. I believe Manning and Brady (Pats and Colts) push each other... I believe one saw the other one as the main hurdle to success. I don't believe Russell is unique in the world with these qualities ...
Scottemojo":ohgcq2bw said:
For the most part, rivalries are a media creation.
Like any QB intent on greatness, Russell's greatest rival for the next decade is injury, a bad GM, complacency, and a bad coaching staff. The rest is media drivel, those things, plus a few I likely omitted, are what Russell has to overcome to get greatness.