Cliff Avril

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Pro Football Focus

After a great start to the year, DE Cliff Avril’s performance has noticeably dropped over the last five weeks. In Weeks 1-10, Avril’s +32.6 overall grade ranked fourth among all edge defenders. Since Week 11, though, he has earned a -6.0 overall grade, the fifth-lowest over that time span. Yesterday, Avril generated just two pressures on 31 pass rush snaps, and was mostly a non-factor in a run defense that included a missed a tackle. Add in his two offsides penalties, and he earned a -4.9 overall grade, his lowest since joining the Seahawks.

I agree with this assessment. I fell like he isn't pressuring the quarterback but he seems to be solid against the run. Is he injured or am I missing something?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
They have been sitting him out of practices the last two weeks, but they say it's not injury related. I guess they're trying to keep him fresh for the playoff run. I think he could do more to utilize his speed and very quick first step. Too often, he looks to engage and bullrush. It would be nice to see him mix it up with a quick swim move to the outside. Maybe there are some lingering effects of the mild ankle injury he reportedly had last month.