Bevell just fired a shot across my bow!

seabowl

Reaction score
HomerJHawk":2wnwqd9g said:
I've been saying all along, the man is a genius. Best thing to happen to the Hawks.

Genius, oh brother.

chris98251

Reaction score
Something changed, either Pete let him call the plays he wanted, Russell has more input in the game plan, they are using the whole playbook and not just the safe plays, or Pete told him to start protecting Wilson.

Wilson has been asking for a faster pace for two years, he is now getting that, he is also audibleing more and we are now using hot routes and the middle of the field and spreading the offense out, were even using shifts and some motion. Things that were not being done before.

I find it hard to believe all this was done in one week, they must have been practicing this stuff well before hand but not using it.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chris98251":3h1ecl19 said:
Something changed

Things that were not being done before.

I find it hard to believe all this was done in one week, they must have been practicing this stuff well before hand but not using it.

Finally, someone gets it.

kearly

Reaction score
That is damn funny. Love it.

It's also further proof that stuff people say on the internet and on radio eventually makes it's way into the ears of coaches. In this case, I believe some of the smarter criticisms may very well have contributed to the positive changes.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Bevell reminds me A LOT of a previous Carroll play caller: Lane Kiffin. He has always been an arrogant SOB, even when things were not going his way. It's that lack of humility that bothers me more than anything else.

jake206

Reaction score
For all we know, he could be visiting this site every week. Hanging on our every word. :sarcasm_off:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
chris98251":3cov2q69 said:
Something changed, either Pete let him call the plays he wanted, Russell has more input in the game plan, they are using the whole playbook and not just the safe plays, or Pete told him to start protecting Wilson.

Wilson has been asking for a faster pace for two years, he is now getting that, he is also audibleing more and we are now using hot routes and the middle of the field and spreading the offense out, were even using shifts and some motion. Things that were not being done before.

This, all if it.

thread win to Chris

Hawknballs

Reaction score
The offensive line is playing better and that is all the diffetence.

Them playing "poorly" was not Bevells fault but his play calling does get predictable (you know it's true so don't argue, anyone with any knowledge of formations and personnel can't argue) at times and he seems to have a hard time adjusting quickly when things aren't working.

Is he a bad play caller? Not necessarily but when you're running play action at the end of the game when throwing is your only option and you know your line can't even protect on a normal down let alone on one where you need time to fake a handoff, sorry but that is completely bad bad play calling and I could pick out several more examples.

He's not the worst offensive coordinator in the world but there are times when he could be better. I don't think it's unfair criticism based on several perplexing plays early in the season that were very hard to watch and impossible to not question.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
I'm happy that the play calling has improved and Bevell deserves credit; but, we haven't exactly been facing the 85 Bears D lately. Four of our last five opponents have putrid defenses and Minnesota was missing quality starters. So, the jury is still out.

I will say that Bevell is much better when he doesn't have to force feed a player. The offense has functioned well without supposed superstars Jimmy Graham, Percy Harvin, and even Lynch. Bevell can be less predictable and incorporate more diverse sets and spread it around. If he keeps it up I'll owe him a maxima mea culpa.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
The work of Bev has been above par all year long. The offense was in transition and the line needed time to grow together. Yet in all but one game, we were in position to win in the fourth quarter. And can we get off this ridiculous "predictability" nonsense. If the defense knows what's coming, we aren't scoring 4-5 touchdowns a game. Bevell has proven his importance to the offense and Russell's growth before ... some of us were paying attention and had the utmost faith that he was the right fit to get it done again.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
chris98251":17lubco3 said:

Exactly! He never gave up any intel regarding coaches or players, when pressed for info regarding needed improvements; HOWEVER, he mentioned the need for quick tempo and 'staying on schedule' way more than once. Dude is a very fast learner, who can process this easily. Long overdue, IMO. That said, I'm sure the coaching staff paid close attention to league history of QB's who were destroyed from dumping too much into their lap too soon.

I'm also suspicious that Bevell -he who voiced his displeasure when he felt Favre was freelancing too much in Minn- might still be feeling the sting of not having adequate control over a QB, which would naturally make him hesitant to give up more to Russell. I'm sure many of you have listened to sound bites of Russ almost begging Bevell to 'trust' him in the NFCC game.

Add Pete's strong tendency to favor play action over a short-passing game and we have a perfect storm creating an impediment to change in that regard.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I don't know if he was being sarcastic or not. If he was, I lose even more respect for him. His play calling at times is horrendous and if he doesn't own up to it honestly, shame on him. He ran a bubble screen to Jimmy Graham for crying out loud.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":24s3gnir said:

Pass protection.

Isn't it obvious? The offensive explosion is perfectly aligned with the O-line figuring it out.

hawknation2015":24s3gnir said:
Bevell reminds me A LOT of a previous Carroll play caller: Lane Kiffin. He has always been an arrogant SOB, even when things were not going his way. It's that lack of humility that bothers me more than anything else.

Further evidence that people have somehow allowed themselves to make this personal. As if Darrell Bevell is "arrogant". What total rubbish.

justafan

Reaction score
I think its funny.Its always been and always will be about execution.

If he is arrogant thats exactly how i want the coaching staff to be.I want an unwavering confidence in what they are trying to teach the players.I certainly dont want them searching message boards for ideas.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Did you pull the pin and throw it back??? :sarcasm_off: :mrgreen: :twisted: :stirthepot: