What is CMike's contract status going into next year?

HawkGA

Reaction score
Is he still on his rookie deal? Is he a restricted free agent? Does the team hopping affect it at all and make him a full blown free agent?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
He's not on his rookie deal, that went away after Dallas waived him and he went unclaimed. The Hawks signed him as a street free agent after the Redskins released him from their PS, and he's signed thru the end of the season at the minimum, after which he'll become an Exclusive Rights Free Agent (ERFA). An ERFA is: A player whose contract has expired and has three or fewer tenured years in the league. His original team must make a contract offer by the league imposed deadline or the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. No compensation is awarded for losing EFAs. Spotrac has him listed as becoming an RFA after the season, but I'm pretty certain that's incorrect and that he'll be an ERFA.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
He has 3 years of accrued seasons so he'll be an RFA ... but as a 2nd round pick the team would just have to offer him the regular tender, and he would automatically require 2nd round compensation to sign with another team.

Which isn't happening.

So basically the Seahawks get him back next year if they want him.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
If he plays well, showing some of the things he was drafted for, then I can see him being signed to back up Rawls. He would definitely be a change of pace back. Rawls being the bruiser and CM being the speed back.

But he has to play his way into that scenario.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Dallas40oz is right, C-Mike is going to be an ERFA type FA. But that's actually a good thing, since the minimum price for an ERFA player is right around league minimum salary, whereas a RFA tag is a decent chunk of change. The only drawback is that Seattle would have to make the decision to sign Michael as an ERFA before the ERFA / RFA deadline, which occurs a few weeks before UFA begins. It should be a no-brainer if Michael plays well, but you never know.