Anyone else expect Doug/Kam/Bennett/Okung to be out til Jan?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Pete has achieved the playoffs. He's secured a wild-card spot and can't be robbed of it.

And he's honestly not the type of coach to be more concerned over a Packers wild-card game than a Giants wild-card game. We are, but he never thinks like we do. He just goes back to stressing execution, playing "their brand" of football, and keeping laser focus. He sees no team or environment as unbeatable. It's not in his nature.

And I certainly don't see him willing to risk players who aren't fully healed on such a goal.

So I'm kind of leaning towards the expectation that all of our current questionables (Doug, Kam, Bennett, and Okung) will not only sit out this week, but also next week against the Cardinals. The team is essentially in "sit starters" mode with playoffs secured, and Pete isn't the type to worry about opponent.

What do you think?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I agree totally. Pete doesn't vary from his game/season/career plan to get a matchup. Just like I wouldn't expect him to back off the throttle against the Cards even if we have the five seed secured, I also wouldn't expect him to change his philosophy of never rushing back an injured player except in the post-season. I expect he will go about the next two weeks exactly as he would every other game. Unless said players are 100%, they won't play. If they are 100%, they won't rest them just to keep them fresh. Same as always.

-bsd

King Dog

Reaction score
I don't agree. I don't really recall sitting players in the past at the end of seasons. Bennett practiced the past two days. I fully expect to see him out on the field on Sunday.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Resting injured players to get them healthy for the playoffs is different than resting healthy players. Carroll acknowledged that was a possibility.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
King Dog":31jav5vy said:
I don't agree. I don't really recall sitting players in the past at the end of seasons.

I don't remember if we've had a season under Pete that didn't come down to the last week. Except 2011.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Based off recent comments from Pete, I don't see them sitting guys who are able to go. Pete isn't a fan of letting off the gas or acting like any one game isn't bigger than another. If a guy is iffy, I fully expect the Hawks to rest them and get them right. But no, I do not think Pete is going to do anything to curb this team's current momentum.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I expect Baldwin and Bennett to play. As for Kam and Okung, I think they will rest for another week or two to get healthy for our playoff run. I also expect Hill to rest that toe for the next couple weeks at least.

Rob12

Reaction score
Not really Pete's style, I think. If they're healthy enough to play, they will. Not sure you want four very crucial players to not play football for three weeks before the playoffs begin. Not they'll forget of course, but this team is on a roll and I think you want that to keep going. Fearing injuries really doesn't fit into PC's style.

I'm all for resting them if they need it. But I want an 11-5 finish. I want that momentum. And even without the four mentioned players by Montana, I think we get there. But if they're healthy enough to play, they'll play. If they're not, they won't.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If they're healthy they play. PC knows the value of momentum and will be looking to win out and secure the #5 seed.

My bet is Baldwin and Bennett play vs STL, Okung and Chancellor do not.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1rnnug45 said:
If they're healthy they play. PC knows the value of momentum and will be looking to win out and secure the #5 seed.

My bet is Baldwin and Bennett play vs STL, Okung and Chancellor do not.

No change to the approach here. Bennett and Baldwin were full participants in Friday's practice, so unless they come up lame before Sunday they will play. Hopefully we build enough of a lead and play good enough D for Pete to keep their reps down.

CPHawk

Reaction score
DB isn't going to sit when he's this close to reaching 1000yds receiving. It would have to be pretty serious for him to do that. 1000yds and 15-16 td will be a nice middle finger to people who doubt him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I honestly do not know. With Cleveland and the RB tryouts, which will continue this week, a locked up spot in the playoffs, potentially a meeting next week where showing any kind of real gameplan only helps the Cards if we play them in the playoffs, December is getting a preseason feel to it. And stars don't see the field much in preseason.

In week 17 I could definitely see Russ playing a series and giving way to Tarvaris. But it in't a preseason roster, so resting all dinged players is impossible.

sutz

Reaction score
If they are healthy I don't expect any of them to miss significant time, unless we build a 4 TD lead in the first quarter. Since the team/Pete philosophy doesn't lean that way, I expect all of them to play if healthy.

Now, given the overall situation, I would expect some players to rest in the 4th QTr of games if we do build a commanding lead. But that would not be in the realm of 'unusual.' Just smart football.

Barthawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2af6irh8 said:
King Dog":2af6irh8 said:
I don't agree. I don't really recall sitting players in the past at the end of seasons.

I don't remember if we've had a season under Pete that didn't come down to the last week. Except 2011.

2012 we were 10-5 going to the last game vs the Rams and we had locked up the 5 seed, but we still played everyone.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Baldwin has about $375,000 reasons to be active for the last two games. He is coming up on a couple of incentive milestones in his contract.

He currently sits at 65 receptions, 905 yards, and 13 TDs

At 75 receptions, he earns an additional $150,000 incentive. 85 would give him a further $100k.

1000 yards earns him $225,000 and 1300 yards would net an additional $175,000.

He has already earned his $100,000 TD incentive when he hit 9, and his $100,000 Pro Bowl/ Playoff incentive.

Obviously, he isn't hitting 85/1300 in the next two games, but 75/1000 certainly seems possible. That totals up to more scratch than he would earn in game checks from going to and winning the Lombardi.

I don't know if playoff stats are counted for incentives. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

All this talk reminded me of a, somewhat, prescient post from July.

Tical21":t83hkzyx said:

-bsd

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":cf8cuikx said:
If they're healthy they play.

They're not healthy. That's kind of the premise of the post. They could play anyway, but I don't see the big urgency for doing so. And if any of those guys get seriously hurt (God forbid) while playing in these last two weeks when it couldn't have changed their postseason fate all that much, Pete will get excoriated.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
bigskydoc":18lor398 said:
Baldwin has about $375,000 reasons to be active for the last two games. He is coming up on a couple of incentive milestones in his contract.

He currently sits at 65 receptions, 905 yards, and 13 TDs

At 75 receptions, he earns an additional $150,000 incentive. 85 would give him a further $100k.

1000 yards earns him $225,000 and 1300 yards would net an additional $175,000.

He has already earned his $100,000 TD incentive when he hit 9, and his $100,000 Pro Bowl/ Playoff incentive.

Obviously, he isn't hitting 85/1300 in the next two games, but 75/1000 certainly seems possible. That totals up to more scratch than he would earn in game checks from going to and winning the Lombardi.

I don't know if playoff stats are counted for incentives. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

All this talk reminded me of a, somewhat, prescient post from July.

Tical21":18lor398 said:

-bsd

I remember that quote from Tical, it was directed at a post I made about Doug could be a 1000 yard receiver, that it was mainly our system that was holding him back. Tical was right though that it took Lynch and Graham to be hurt, but that doesn't take anything away from Doug accomplishment at the moment. I hope Doug keeps playing I want Wilson and Doug to keep setting new records that probably won't be broken for another 50 years or ever!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I will sit them if they are hurt. I suspect he will limit reps. The difference in the seating between. Wild cards is over blown. The only real advantage is a potential home game.

Keep in mind this is a team that has played the max games the last two years as well. Avril IMO has slowed in the last couple weeks. I think the reps are catching up on the DL and okung has never played a full season.

I hope he makes some tactical decisions based on what lies ahead.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Modified my post. As a Probowl alternate, I am not sure if ADB earns the Probowl/Playoff incentive. I was thinking it was an either/or, but it may be that both are required for the incentive and alternate doesn't count.

-bsd