Correct call or not? Pivotal fumble call

nsport

Reaction score
So I'm sitting at home (too sick to be there today) and when that first fumble on their drive, I believe the call went sort of correct, but ultimately wrong in ball placement. I may be wrong, if so please clarify because it looks as though Pete was arguing the same thing I'm going to post here:

Situation: 3rd and 1, handoff to Cunningham, who gets the ball popped out at approximately the line of scrimmage (clearly before the line to gain (the 39 yard line)). Ball gets recovered by STL downfield at approximately the 33 yard line. On the next play, the ball is spotted at the 35 yard line with STL awarded a first down.

Scratching my head at all of this wondering why the heck STL wasn't saddled with a 4th and 1 having to decide whether to punt or go for it. My memory of the rule is a forward fumble recovered by the offense returns to the point of the fumble.

* I have screenshots of this, but I think this is descriptive enough.

Thoughts?

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah i was yelling the same thing....

Lots of key hold calls & clipping call...Refs signaling Rams ball before even knowing outcome....Reminds me of the Cardinals game....Are these the same crew?

OP
OP
nsport

nsport

Reaction score
@rcaido: I think correct fumble possession was called - that's not the point here - it's did they earn a first down on the fumble.

@mikeak: The clock time was 13:22 left in the 4th quarter.

saroos

Reaction score
Only when the clock is under two minutes in the half the ball can not be advanced by a fumble.

253hawk

Reaction score
I just find it funny that this is the third game in a row against the Rams that this has happened. It's crunch time, we need the ball back, we force a fumble, recover, and it's given back to the Rams anyway. 3 games in a row. The odds are astronomical.

mikeak

Reaction score
We didn't recover. The first game of the season we did and they somehow gave the Rams the ball. This time they got it right