Playoff seeding now?

kmeleon

Reaction score
So if Minnesota and Seattle lose out and both finish 9-7 the espn playoff machine shows us as the 6 seed, Minnesota the 5 seed. How can that happen if it's a 2 way tie between seattle/minn? We have the head to head tie breaker.

seabowl

Reaction score
kmeleon":3c0zlghs said:
So if Minnesota and Seattle lose out and both finish 9-7 the espn playoff machine shows us as the 6 seed, Minnesota the 5 seed. How can that happen if it's a 2 way tie between seattle/minn? We have the head to head tie breaker.

Probably figures in Atl

AZ_fan

Reaction score
seabowl":3uocaeun said:
kmeleon":3uocaeun said:

Probably figures in Atl

That. ^

If Seattle and Minnesota lose out and Atlanta beats the Saints at home.. Atlanta is #5 and Seattle is #6.

That's the only scenario in which the Vikings miss the playoffs.

Before today I would have said not a chance... now? Atlanta might pull it off with some help from the Giants tonight.

OP
OP
K

kmeleon

Reaction score
AZ_fan":1x3ox76x said:
seabowl":1x3ox76x said:
kmeleon":1x3ox76x said:

Probably figures in Atl

That. ^

If Seattle and Minnesota lose out and Atlanta beats the Saints at home.. Atlanta is #5 and Seattle is #6.i

That's the only scenario in which the Vikings miss the playoffs.

Before today I would have said not a chance... now? Atlanta might pull it off with some help from the Giants tonight.

Ahhh, it was because Atlanta was a 3 way tie with us and minn. That's why, if they lose to the Saints we end up being the 5 seed. The only place I didn't want to go was lambeau.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'm thinking we might actually end up as #6 playing @#3 Min while a floundering #5 Green Bay limps into FedEx vs #4 Was.

#6 Sea @ #1 Carolina
#4 Was @ #2 AZ

ringless

Reaction score
I hope that you guys play the Redskins. I think you'd kill both GB and Min right now. Redskins have actually played well at home and are a more physical team than the other two. Just my two cents.

OrFan

Reaction score
Wenhawk":ft33di6s said:
I'm thinking we might actually end up as #6 playing @#3 Min while a floundering #5 Green Bay limps into FedEx vs #4 Was.

#6 Sea @ #1 Carolina
#4 Was @ #2 AZ

Very much a possibility. As bad as the Bi-queens are, the Packers are that much worse.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Wenhawk":8tqd5vrb said:

#6 Sea @ #1 Carolina
#4 Was @ #2 AZ

I could get behind this scenario.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
OrFan":39bgx8iy said:
Wenhawk":39bgx8iy said:

#6 Sea @ #1 Carolina
#4 Was @ #2 AZ

Very much a possibility. As bad as the Bi-queens are, the Packers are that much worse.

Those "bi-queens" are actually beating a bad team right now....amazing what having Harrison smith back does for that defense...Pick Six and is leading the team in tackles so far tonight..prob most underrated safety in the league

Way different defense when you have 3 of your starters back

Eli has been sacked 3 times...2 INTs, one for a pick six...19.2 QB rating right now

Polaris

Reaction score
First of all, I am still not impressed with the Vikings. The Vikings are doing what they are supposed to do: Beat a bad team at home that is minus their star receiver. Did many people think the Vikings would lose? I didn't.

Second of all, while upsetting this loss doesn't really affect Seattle much at all, but it DOES make the next game very important for Seattle.

If the Vikings go on to win, then:

If Seattle wins, Seattle CAN NOT face Green Bay in the wildcard round. If the Vikings win, Seattle would be the #6 seed, and Seattle would go to the Vikings, and we've done that before (and not that long ago either). If the Packers win, the Seattle would be the #5 seed and would go to Washington.

OTOH things look much worse if Seattle loses. If Seattle loses, then Seattle is locked into the #6 seed and would play the winner of the Vikings @ Packers game, and I think that is almost surely going to be the Packers (regardless of how they played today).

If Pete wanted to get his team's attention and make sure they played like the last week matters, well, it definitely happened.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think we're going to Lambeau in the wildcard.

Not sure what to make of that. On the one hand -- they've been pretty miserable for a few weeks and they have lost at home to the Bears and Lions. Washington on the other hand just have a little hot streak going. They probably lose any playoff game on the road -- but they could be tough to stop at home in the wildcard.

There's also the Aaron Rodgers factor -- on his day he can still be the best QB in the league. Kirk Cousins doesn't present that same fear factor even though he's playing very well at the moment. Cousins does have better weapons in Reed, Garcon and D-Jax.

Overall though this just doesn't feel like a Super Bowl team. They might win a playoff game. Can they go and beat Carolina in Carolina, or Arizona in Arizona? I can't imagine it personally.

AZ_fan

Reaction score
Polaris":151vzz21 said:
OTOH things look much worse if Seattle loses. If Seattle loses, then Seattle is locked into the #6 seed and would play the winner of the Vikings @ Packers game, and I think that is almost surely going to be the Packers (regardless of how they played today).

So the NFL is gonna flex the CAR/TB game to 4:25 forcing the Cardinals to play to win....

I guess that means we get to play for the #1 seed and for a chance to send Seattle to Green Bay.

Love it.

Polaris

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":kx6kpw5d said:
I think we're going to Lambeau in the wildcard.

Not sure what to make of that. On the one hand -- they've been pretty miserable for a few weeks and they have lost at home to the Bears and Lions. Washington on the other hand just have a little hot streak going. They probably lose any playoff game on the road -- but they could be tough to stop at home in the wildcard.

There's also the Aaron Rodgers factor -- on his day he can still be the best QB in the league. Kirk Cousins doesn't present that same fear factor even though he's playing very well at the moment. Cousins does have better weapons in Reed, Garcon and D-Jax.

Overall though this just doesn't feel like a Super Bowl team. They might win a playoff game. Can they go and beat Carolina in Carolina, or Arizona in Arizona? I can't imagine it personally.

With all due respect, I think you are letting your (understandable) disappointment with our 'hawks today cloud your judgement a bit. In the first place the Giants still might win (unlikely but stranger things have happened). In the second place, Arizona really doesn't have much to play for (there really isn't much difference between the #1 and #2 seed, and honestly does anyone see Carolina laying an egg twice?) Even if Arizona doesn't rest, I don't see this team performing this badly twice in a row.

You are also assuming that Green Bay wins next week. I think that's likely but less so than I did before (was not impressed with the Packers today).

In short, I think it's best to be reasonably optimistic. If Seattle has to play the Pack in the Wildcard round, so be it, but I still think overall that's unlikely when you add up all the scenarios where that doesn't happen.

Polaris

Reaction score
AZ_fan":2ngvmw3f said:
Polaris":2ngvmw3f said:

So the NFL is gonna flex the CAR/TB game to 4:25 forcing the Cardinals to play to win....

I guess that means we get to play for the #1 seed and for a chance to send Seattle to Green Bay.

Love it.

You'll sing a different tune if Palmer gets hurt for a game that turned out was meaningless. As for the rest, don't count your chickens before they hatch. You know the 'hawks are going to come with blood in their eyes after this.

[And yes I am getting a little tired of mouthy Cards fans whose team hasn't actually won anything yet.]

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Polaris":2h9xmbon said:
With all due respect, I think you are letting your (understandable) disappointment with our 'hawks today cloud your judgement a bit.

Not how I roll. I'll feel exactly the same way tomorrow or the next day.

I would expect Green Bay in a de facto Championship game at home to Minnesota to win. They beat them in Minnesota. Some teams just match up well against another -- I see that with GB and Minn.

I don't think it's too pessimistic to make that kind of projection -- or to think the Seahawks will lose next week against an Arizona team I half-watched today totally embarrass the Packers.

cesame

Reaction score
There's really not a big difference between playing GB, WAS and MIN imo.

I'd prefer Minnesota over the other two, but all are winnable. At this point I think I'd almost rather play GB than Washington as Washington is a hot team right now and Kirk Cousins is killing it. GB is a dysfunctional team and have gone 4-5 in their last 9 games.

Who cares who Seattle plays in the wild card when Arizona or Carolina are sitting there in the divisional round. Those are the only teams to worry about as far as I'm concerned.

Polaris

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3vavqzib said:
Polaris":3vavqzib said:
With all due respect, I think you are letting your (understandable) disappointment with our 'hawks today cloud your judgement a bit.

I would expect Green Bay in a de facto Championship game at home to Minnesota to win. They beat them in Minnesota. Some teams just match up well against another -- I see that with GB and Minn.

I don't think it's too pessimistic to make that kind of projection -- or to think the Seahawks will lose next week against an Arizona team I half-watched today totally embarrass the Packers.

I do. The Packers have NOT played very well lately. It's not just the eye test saying that; the advanced stats have as well. I also point out that the game got out of hand early because of a fair amount of fumble luck for Arizona.

Basically I would argue that Arizona is not as good as they've seemed the past two weeks, and Seattle is nowhere near as bad as they looked today.

In short, I really do feel you are letting today cloud your judgement. I'm not saying that events might not prove you correct, but I see no reason to be overly pessimistic.

NJlargent

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2jgv21rd said:
Polaris":2jgv21rd said:

Minnesota is beating the Giants. They will be tied with GB and play GB next week for the 3/6 seed. Game is in lambeau so I think GB wins. The team that played today isn't beating AZ but Carolina game will be over by our kickoff (and Carolina will lock up 1 seed) so maybe AZ sits some players and we win and get the 5 seed. Otherwise we are going to GB and anyone who thinks GB at lambeau is better than Washington is nuts. Hence the egg we laid today was very injurious for both seeding and momentum.

Polaris

Reaction score
The NFL may very well flex the Carolina game to 4pm EST to avoid AZ knowing if they have something to play for or not. I don't like it, but I don't deny that's a very likely possibility.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Polaris":dl77aed9 said:
The NFL may very well flex the Carolina game to 4pm EST to avoid AZ knowing if they have something to play for or not. I don't like it, but I don't deny that's a very likely possibility.

I would be shocked if this did not happen. The NFL doesn't have many Week 17 games with ramifications on the line.. So they will adjust to make sure they do.

Bills-Jets and Steelers-Browns will definitely be the 1 ET games, assume Panthers-Bucs and Seahawks-Cards get the FOX 4:25 treatment.. and Pack-Vikes goes to SNF as its the only defacto division title game next weekend.