The Rain.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
There's been this general narrative for years that the rain is an advantage for us, and a disadvantage for our opponents when coming to Seattle. I call BS.

I don't know if it's possible, but I would love to see our stats at home when there has been noticeable precipitation. If my memory serves, I believe Russell has struggled, and in fact had some of his worst games when the ball has been slippery.

No I am not blaming the rain for our loss (I will blame our OL though for a terrible, ill-prepared game against their front) but I think there is something to it. Anytime I hear it's supposed to be rainy for a game, I get bummed out. It's NOT an advantage to the Seahawks, in fact I believe quite strongly that it is a detriment to our play, and quite frankly Russell does not seem to play very well when the ball is wet.

Thoughts?

Cartire

Reaction score
Rain makes both teams suck. Drops and fumbles happen more for both teams. Once it starts raining, all bets are off. Its the team that lucks out a bit more then the other in the end. We've just been on the bad side of that luck.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Rain also quells motivation on the part of fans, too. They are not as up for the game as much as they would be for a dry game. Not only do the players have to deal with the elements, the fans do, too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sorry Aros, but we have used it as an advantage for years, damn you for making me think of this !

[youtube]rB0Le3oM1b8[/youtube]

mikeak

Reaction score
in general when you have a good running game not based on cuts but more straight up you benefit from the rain.

Harder to pass the ball, harder to make lots of cuts without falling down

So our offense the last few weeks have been gaining in the air which has opened up the running game. So it isn't surprising that the rain didn't help this team as it is built right now and considering the injuries at RB position

Smellyman

Reaction score
chris98251":12vzlfs1 said:
Sorry Aros, but we have used it as an advantage for years, damn you for making me think of this !

[youtube]rB0Le3oM1b8[/youtube]

Didn't the Clink last years with no rain? I remember a stat where it took forever to get the first rain.

Last couple of years it seems to be nothing but downpours.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
I was at the game in 2013 vs AZ where it poured and that reminded me alot of this game vs Stl. Defense playing pretty damn good but the offense not able to stay on the field and they kept making big mistakes. Lets hope this season ends the same way that season did!

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I respectfully doubt it (rain) actually makes a whole lot of difference. Some days you just don't have it and others you do. Sunday the Hawks just didn't have it and spotted the Rams 17 points before starting to come back but they couldn't protect Russell, the referees took/gave the ball away to the Rams a few times when it wasn't justified, and some of the calls were so egregious that the NFL will likely be sending Seattle an apology for several of them.

To me it appears Cable has little answer for the Rams DLine as our OLine looked as bad as they did in the game in St L. They made matadors look good relative to their performance. Lewis was awful, and singlehandedly killed 2 drives with really awful snaps. My sense it was not the rain that caused Seattle to suck yesterday.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I agree there were clearly several other factors that conspired against the Seahawks last Sunday but I have to count the rain as one of them. If I never noticed a problem with Russell and rain I really wouldn't have brought it up, but it truly does seem to affect his performance.

I would bet money his incompletions, fumbles and INTs go up dramatically in games where it's rained.

Cartire

Reaction score
Aros":2qvoyi8s said:
I would bet money his incompletions, fumbles and INTs go up dramatically in games where it's rained.

I would bet money that most athletes perform worse in rain. This seems like a "well duh" thing. Water reduces friction.

mikeak

Reaction score
Cartire":1k49zw88 said:
Aros":1k49zw88 said:

I would bet money that most athletes perform worse in rain. This seems like a "well duh" thing. Water reduces friction.

swimmers?

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
I said something similar in the game day thread. And I. DO agree that rain isn't the defining factor in the outcome of the game, it just makes things that much more difficult. Things like; taking an errant snap that Russ would 99% of the time corral, new/fresh RB's in making split second decisions to cut back based on a Sweezy whiff, catching a ball that was a tad over/underthrown (because of, well...slippery balls), fumbles, ALL Pro CB's getting beat on typical double moves by subpar receivers, etc.
And I TOTALLY agree with the "Fan Experience" factor. Hell, it took my wife asking me 3 or 4 times to take the trash & recycling out during a downpour yesterday (don't buy a Condo with a central garbage/recycling unit 75 yards from your front door :34853_doh: ).
But yeah, you can't convince me that rain benefits one team over another with all else being equal.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
hgwellz12":28igfj2l said:
I said something similar in the game day thread. And I. DO agree that rain isn't the defining factor in the outcome of the game, it just makes things that much more difficult. Things like; taking an errant snap that Russ would 99% of the time corral, new/fresh RB's in making split second decisions to cut back based on a Sweezy whiff, catching a ball that was a tad over/underthrown (because of, well...slippery balls), fumbles, ALL Pro CB's getting beat on typical double moves by subpar receivers, etc.
And I TOTALLY agree with the "Fan Experience" factor. Hell, it took my wife asking me 3 or 4 times to take the trash & recycling out during a downpour yesterday (don't buy a Condo with a central garbage/recycling unit 75 yards from your front door :34853_doh: ).
But yeah, you can't convince me that rain benefits one team over another with all else being equal.

ONLY 75 YDs......wow. I have a 240 yd driveway. I take my trashcan to the road by quad. And the road is ruffcut...still. I am working on it tho.

Yes, the fan experience in muddy waters hurts. Been there at work where I had no choice....so for a game...probably not a thought. Although I have been to boise for the Idaho bowl back in the 1-AA timeframe and stood up with a bit of Coffee with extra in for warmth. I was 20 years younger tho.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Me and my dad used to talk a lot of football,he said a team with a lot of speed will lose that advantage in rain because it slows everyone down to just about even.The Hawks are built for speed right?I think we can blame the rain some and bad luck for the fumbles ect.I dunno why they didn't build an open/close type stadium,if any team needed one you would think a Seattle team.Thats why the dome was built in the first place right?

Kansashawkfan

Reaction score
I first read this and kinda chuckled, like rain could adversely affect Seattle professional athletes over others (in our house no less) that's rich! But I started thinking, one of the benefits I considered about leaving the area was four seasons. ie much less rain. I don't like being wet & cold, I'm sure a few others feel the same way. Apply what ever percentage that may be to 70,000 or so and the noise level would have to drop. Which means the energy that the players feed off of would also drop. Meaning our home field advantage would lessen measurably. Interesting hypothesis, very interesting indeed. I didn't hear the commentators mentioning the noise level (except the lack of it). Yeah interesting.

Willyeye

Reaction score
I seem to recall that it was raining hard and pretty windy in last year's NFCCG against the Packers. Wilson had a horrible game for 3-1/2 quarters...to be fair, even Rodgers threw 2 interceptions.

I also seem to remember the divisional round game against the Saints 2 years ago. Obviously we won the game, but I think Wilson had a bad game in a pretty bad downpour and some gusty winds.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
IndyHawk":1r9oq120 said:
Me and my dad used to talk a lot of football,he said a team with a lot of speed will lose that advantage in rain because it slows everyone down to just about even.The Hawks are built for speed right?I think we can blame the rain some and bad luck for the fumbles ect.I dunno why they didn't build an open/close type stadium,if any team needed one you would think a Seattle team.Thats why the dome was built in the first place right?

It's simple. Paul Allen grew up watching the Huskies in an open stadium and he said that is the way football should be played: In the elements.

Hence our stadium with no roof.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Yes! I have totally noticed this. Been to every single home game he has started except one, and it has seemed to me that he really struggles in bad weather. Last week, 2014 NFC CG, 2013 Saints div round all come to mind. I don't know that he struggles with it more than the QB on the other team, but there is no way that rain presents any sort of advantage for the Hawks. The team and Russell specifically seem to really struggle with it.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
jammerhawk":29j06mqv said:
.......To me it appears Cable has little answer for the Rams DLine......
I agree with this completely. But I also believe you're right that the rain is a detriment to our offense Aros. Mostly though, I am sick the hell of watching the same old rerun when the Hawks play the Rams. Pete and Co. need to figure out something when it comes to blocking these guys.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The numbers of every Wilson start in measurable rain during the course of that particular football game. Outside of a few clunkers, he's actually been pretty damn good in the elements

October 14 vs. Patriots - 16/27, 293, 3 TD; 17 yards rushing; 1 fumble (1 fumble lost) ... 0.52 rainfall
November 4 vs. Vikings - 16/24, 173, 3 TD; 27 yards rushing; 1 fumble (0 lost) .. 0.17 rainfall
November 11 vs. Jets - 12/19, 188, 2 TD; 34 yards rushing; 2 fumbles (1 lost) .. 0.55 rainfall
December 23 vs. 49ers - 15/21, 171, 4 TD, INT; 29 yards rushing .. 0.39 rainfall

September 15 vs. 49ers - 8/19, 142, TD, INT; 33 yards rushing .. 0.21 rainfall (game was also delayed for lightning)
December 21 vs. Cardinals - 11/27, 108, TD, INT; 32 yards rushing .. 0.21 rainfall
January 11 vs. Saints (P) - 9/18, 103; 16 yards rushing .. 0.91 rainfall (was also horribly windy)

November 2 vs. Raiders - 17/35, 179; 31 yards rushing .. 0.11 rainfall (rained for duration of game)
November 9 vs. Giants - 10/17, 172, 2 INT; 107 yards rushing, TD, 1 fumble (0 lost) ... 0.29 rainfall
January 18 vs. Packers (P) - 14/29, 209, TD, 4 INT; 25 yards rushing, TD, 1 fumble (0 lost) ... 0.23 rainfall

December 27 vs. Rams - 25/41, 289 yards, 2 TD, INT; 39 yards rushing, 1 fumble (1 lost) .. 0.32 rainfall