Flipping the Coin-AZ Cardinals Injury “Rest vs. Rust” Report

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone! All week long, most people here have talked the injury situation for the Seahawks coming in to this game, focusing on all the bumps and bruises and which players to sit or not. That seems to be all the media and fans of our team are talking about this week.

Well, for what it’s worth that seems to be a lot of same kind of conversation going on with the Cardinals as well. No one has really focused on the Cardinals and their injury situation coming in to Sunday, so I thought -- Let's Flip the Table and look at things from the other side of the coin.

Though Arizona’s injury report isn’t as long and distinguished as that of the Seahawks, there are a few notable names on it …

OLB Markus Golden – knee – (DNP Wednesday or Thursday)
WR Michael Floyd – knee – (DNP Wednesday or Thursday)
OLB Dwight Freeney – knee – (DNP Wednesday and was a LP on Thursday)
S Rashad Johnson – ankle – (DNP Wednesday or Thursday)
DT Josh Mauro – calf – (DNP Wednesday or Thursday)
WR Larry Fitzgerald – ankle (LP Wednesday and Thursday)
CB Patrick Peterson – ankle (LP Wednesday and Thursday)
LS Mike Leach – back (LP Wednesday and Thursday)
DT Ed Stinson – ribs (LP Wednesday and Thursday)
RB Stepfan Taylor – shoulder (LP Wednesday and Thursday)
DT Frostee Rucker – calf – (DNP Wednesday or Thursday) … (Rucker’s receiving the Marshawn Lynch treatment as he’s an older veteran though)

Markus Golden reportedly has a bone bruise and is the most serious of the injuries listed above … and he is a significant piece to that defense. Golden leads the Cardinals in both QB Pressures (16) and QB Hits (14) this season. Arians is admitting that it might be difficult for him to perform this Sunday, so it’s likely he’s going to miss the game. Somewhere Russell Wilson is smiling a smile of relief.

Dwight Freeney – it sounds like he’s receiving a bit of the Marshawn Lynch treatment, but chronic knee issues are fairly common for 14 year veteran defensive linemen. I’m not saying that’s what’s going on with him, but when you get this part of the season with a 35 year old – you start thinking about ways to reduce his workload. He was the only one of those who were listed as DNP on Wednesday to return to practice on Thursday in a limited capacity.

Patrick Peterson --suffered a low ankle sprain back in Week 11 against the Bengals. He’s been playing on it and though you think he’d be healed up by now, it’s interesting to see the Cardinals limiting his practice reps because of it.

Rashad Johnson – the Cardinals starting SS has missed the last 2 games with an ankle injury. He hasn’t practiced yet this week and even if he does end up playing, I’m thinking Arizona is probably going to look to limit his work against Seattle.

You combine all of that with the loss of Tyrann Mathieu (who was lost for the season with an ACL injury 2 weeks ago against the Eagles) … there is a chance that Russell Wilson (and/or Tavaris Jackson) could find that Cardinals defense a bit less imposing this Sunday than the first time the Hawks faced them back in Week 10.

Michael Floyd has a pull behind his knee. Arians said they were hoping to get him some work in before the week was over, but that’s something they’re obviously going to watch.

Larry Fitzgerald – sounds like he’s just receiving a veteran reduced workload treatment you’d expect for a 32 year old future Hall of Fame receiver.

And then there is the whole QB rest vs. rust conversation. As far as this Sunday is concerned, that conversation we’ve been having about whether or not to sit Russell Wilson … should be (I would think) about double in intensity when it comes to Carson Palmer.

Palmer himself has made no bones about it – he intends to play.

Should he though? The facts are that unlike Russell Wilson, Carson Palmer isn’t 27 years old and seemingly bulletproof. He’s 36 years old and has undergone 2 major reconstructive knee surgeries in his career.

The odds against Carolina losing to the Bucs (and even giving the Cards a shot at the #1 Seed) aren’t high.

Not to mention the unconfirmed reports floating out there that Palmer may be a bit more banged up at this point in the season than he is letting on.

Against this Seahawk Defense, all it would take is one good hit on Palmer to shelve the Cardinals playoff hopes. The Seahawks Defense sacked him 3 times and had 13 QB Hits on Palmer during their first meeting of the year.

Admittedly, a lot of this is moot, as Arians (just like Carroll) said that he plans on playing to win this Sunday. I brought this topic up though because most of us have focused on the Seahawks side of things all week long. I just thought it would be interesting to flip the tables for a second and look at this upcoming game on Sunday from the other point of view.

seabowl

Reaction score
I know what Carroll has said however I would sit as many as I could for this game. Give these guys the rest they need and come out strong and healthier for the Wild Card game.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
seabowl":2zbinzp3 said:
I know what Carroll has said however I would sit as many as I could for this game. Give these guys the rest they need and come out strong and healthier for the Wild Card game.

Because that worked so well with the bye week?

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
As I've pointed out here guys, the Cardinals have their bumps and bruises too. They have their own concerns when it comes to injuries coming in to this game ... and may not be quite as formidable as when we last saw them. They are having the exact same conversation with Carson Palmer we're having with Russell Wilson. As I pointed out above, he's 36 years old with a history of serious injuries. The Hawks got after Palmer in Seattle, to the tune of 13 QB Hits and 3 sacks. There are several older veterans on this Cardinals team ... and several key guys of theirs who are banged up as well. Do they go ALL OUT in this game against us ... or do they end up going in to bench mode in this one as well?

Just throwing that out there that the same conversation we're having when it comes to this game -- they're having with their team as well. Thoughts anyone?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Excellent post scanner. Thanks.

I'm guessing Carolina is ahead enough by the half that both the Hawks and Cards pull a bunch of guys. We'll see.

Largent80

Reaction score
Well, there is the fact the Ram game may have set the Hawks back on killswitch, and we've played good on the road.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1mc0u4je said:
Excellent post scanner. Thanks.

I'm guessing Carolina is ahead enough by the half that both the Hawks and Cards pull a bunch of guys. We'll see.

I'm very interested to see what happens as well. The NFL made a very savvy strategic move in scheduling many of these games at the exact same time. Carson Palmer made it very clear -- he's going to play in this game. But what happens if the players and coaches all look up at the scoreboard at halftime
and it says:

Carolina 21
Tampa Bay 3

Do the Cardinals start benching guys (including Palmer) during the 2nd Half? If the Hawks are down by more than 2 TD's at halftime, do they start doing the same thing? It'll be interesting to see what happens for sure.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Largent80":1oyb72ts said:
Well, there is the fact the Ram game may have set the Hawks back on killswitch, and we've played good on the road.

That is precisely why I believe the Seahawks are ultimately going to play to win -- and ultimately will win this game. Neither the players nor the coaches are happy whatsoever with what happened last week. They're going to look to wash that bad taste out of their mouths ... and what better team to do that against than the Cardinals? I honestly believe they want to send a message to the rest of the NFL, "Hey, we're the defending NFC Champions."

slateman77

Reaction score
Defending super bowl champions...?? How I wish that were true.....Defending NFC champions..!!!

ava

Reaction score
I say handcuff Palmer to the bench. Wrap him in bubble wrap! He is fragile; made of glass. I will go insane if he gets hurt.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
slateman77":25klxdmy said:
Defending super bowl champions...?? How I wish that were true.....Defending NFC champions..!!!

Oh WOW! Did I misspeak or what?!? Blotted that painful memory right out. Malcolm Butler -- who's that? Never heard of him. ;)

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
ava":3q2ddvnl said:
I say handcuff Palmer to the bench. Wrap him in bubble wrap! He is fragile; made of glass. I will go insane if he gets hurt.

As I mentioned above, the Seahawks Defense recorded 13 QB Hits on Carson Palmer during their first meeting back in Week 10. That's the most QB Hits their Offensive Line recorded in a game this year.

Given that and Palmer's age and injury history, I'd probably look to wrap him in bubble wrap too if I were a Cardinals fan ... because I guarantee you that the Hawks Defense will be coming after him again on Sunday.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3ofppd8s said:
Largent80":3ofppd8s said:

That is precisely why I believe the Seahawks are ultimately going to play to win -- and ultimately will win this game. Neither the players nor the coaches are happy whatsoever with what happened last week. They're going to look to wash that bad taste out of their mouths ... and what better team to do that against than the Cardinals? I honestly believe they want to send a message to the rest of the NFL, "Hey, we're the defending NFC Champions."

With Okung and now Sweezy out, I don't think they can realistically expect to 'send a message' against the cards.

Largent80

Reaction score
I would say if Floyd can't play that is huge for the Hawks. He burned us for 2 td's in Seattle.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":2wyg8y2i said:
Hawkscanner":2wyg8y2i said:
Largent80":2wyg8y2i said:

With Okung and now Sweezy out, I don't think they can realistically expect to 'send a message' against the cards.

You're undoubtedly right. I was hoping to get Okung back for this game. With him being likely out, my optimism for Sunday is a bit more tempered. Let's just say that while I do still expect the Hawks to actually come out of this with a "W" ... I see this being a much tighter game thanks in large part to the fact that our team right now more resembles a MASH unit.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Largent80":2s4nrfvg said:
I would say if Floyd can't play that is huge for the Hawks. He burned us for 2 td's in Seattle.

I agree ... and it looks like there is a strong possibility that he misses this game. For those who haven't seen it, here is the final injury report for both teams (I've highlighted those whose status is less than Probable) ...

Seahawks
Marshawn Lynch (abdomen) -- Game Status: OUT
Luke Willson (concussion) -- Game Status: OUT
Michael Bennett (toe) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
Kam Chancellor (pelvis) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Questionable
J. R. Sweezy (concussion) -- Game Status: OUT
Russell Okung (calf) -- Did Not Participate on Friday ... Game Status: Doubtful
Cliff Avril (back) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
Jordon Hill (toe) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Questionable

Cardinals
OLB Markus Golden (knee) -- Did Not Participate on Friday ... Game Status: OUT
WR Michael Floyd (knee) -- Limited Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Questionable
OLB Dwight Freeney (knee) – Limited Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Questionable
S Rashad Johnson (ankle) – Limited Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Questionable
DT Josh Mauro (calf) – Did Not Participate on Friday ... Game Status: OUT

WR Larry Fitzgerald (ankle) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
CB Patrick Peterson (ankle) -- Limited Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
LS Mike Leach (back) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
DT Ed Stinson (ribs) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
RB Andre Ellington (toe) -- Limited Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
RB Stepfan Taylor (shoulder) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
DT Frostee Rucker (calf) – Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
CB Jerraud Powers (hamstring) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
DT Cory Redding (ankle) -- Full Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable
LB Alani Fua (groin) -- Limited Participant on Friday ... Game Status: Probable

Source:
http://www.seahawks.com/team/injuries

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Well it does sound like Kam's gonna play and Jordan Hill will be back and Bennett and Avril are gonna play so the defense looks like they're pretty much full staff. That's good news.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1sa8dqta said:
Well it does sound like Kam's gonna play and Jordan Hill will be back and Bennett and Avril are gonna play so the defense looks like they're pretty much full staff. That's good news.

My fault -- Kam is still listed as QUESTIONABLE (I've changed that to reflect that above). It does sound as though he might play, but my best guess is that if he does, it will be for limited snaps and that we'll see a lot of Kelcie in there.

ava

Reaction score
Largent80":1b0ccw7k said:

I think Floyd is in. He practiced on Friday and BA says he will probably play. Seems like a lot of marginal players just cannot wait to GO in week 17!!

Latest posts