My theory on the Kam holdout

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I don't believe it was all about the money. The numbers mattered, but might have only been an issue because of Cary Williams. I do not blame an All-Pro Strong Safety with multiple Pro-Bowls and voted the Leader of this defense for being a little bitter about the contract Cary Williams got.

I felt like the John and Pete tried to keep Maxwell. They knew their CB's were thin due to major injuries for Sherm, Simon, and especially Lane. They we actually preparing to pay more than many around here would have wanted us to pay but he got a ton of money in Philly. They had been planning to keep him thus budgeted accordingly and were left with a hole they had money to fill.

Cary was a veteran who has had some success and also had the frame and athleticism to get even better in this system. We brought in an average NFL starting CB hoping we could make him into an above average to good CB. The problem was that this average NFL talent was instantly making more than the Leader of this defense.

A guy who hadn't done a thing for us, just 1uped Kam. I think seeing Earl and Sherm get their checks was a little bit of a reality check for Kam that he was out playing his contract value. But those guys earned big money and he was happy for them. I doubt Kam could respect Cary.

I think this led to him letting the team know how he felt. Potentially agreeing that they would do something about it. More money promised to Kam later or maybe even agreement they would not keep Williams around.

RussB

Reaction score
That also might be a reason they released williams, along with the fact he played like trash.....

Armchair Bronco

Reaction score
If Chancellor hasn't figured out yet that corner backs make MUCH more than safeties, then he'll never figure it out.

If he wants to make CB money, he'll have to remake himself as a CB.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Being said I still don't understand... Williams was TRASH in Philly what possessed them to make that move is beyond me.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Throwdown":3jxsfbvi said:
Being said I still don't understand... Williams was TRASH in Philly what possessed them to make that move is beyond me.

I said that when I first heard we signed him. You should always be concerned when we sign a player where the other team's fans are emphatically saying "You can have him!"

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The FO makes their share of mistakes......but when it becomes obvious, they make it right to the best of their ability.

It was clear that Philly lost their head Coach because he could not handle the personnel issues. Clearly, that is the most difficult job of the FO. As the auto insurance commercial says...."Nobody's perfect".

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Aros":1b1n3ejz said:
Throwdown":1b1n3ejz said:

I said that when I first heard we signed him. You should always be concerned when we sign a player where the other team's fans are emphatically saying "You can have him!"
Does that apply to Offensive Coordinators as well? :stirthepot:

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2w8sz49z said:
Aros":2w8sz49z said:
Throwdown":2w8sz49z said:

Only the goofy ones would say that about the Hawks' OC. The observant ones understand what it's all about.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2jkcrzpb said:
hawksfansinceday1":2jkcrzpb said:
Aros":2jkcrzpb said:
Throwdown":2jkcrzpb said:

Only the goofy ones would say that about the Hawks' OC. The observant ones understand what it's all about.

My only complaint is play action screen passes, those never work like ever no matter who runs them. They don't even work on madden.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":ioos0p28 said:
hawksfansinceday1":ioos0p28 said:
Aros":ioos0p28 said:
Throwdown":ioos0p28 said:

:34853_doh:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
IMO, the problem was someone paid Byron Maxwell $60M and guaranteed half of it.

Kam didn't know Cary from Adam. He was in no position to judge that guy's deal, which didn't even have substantial guarantees. However, he did play with Maxwell for four years and had to know in his heart of hearts that he was a much better football player and a far greater leader than Maxy. That's the deal that had to sting.

olyfan63

Reaction score
DavidSeven":11k8a332 said:
IMO, the problem was someone paid Byron Maxwell $60M and guaranteed half of it.

Kam didn't know Cary from Adam. He was in no position to judge that guy's deal, which didn't even have substantial guarantees. However, he did play with Maxwell for four years and had to know in his heart of hearts that he was a much better football player and a far greater leader than Maxy. That's the deal that had to sting.

Well said. Your theory makes way more sense than Kam resenting Cary Williams' deal.
(It doesn't make it TRUE, but it sure makes more sense, and sometimes the truth actually does make sense)

Looks like that big BMax signing worked out really well for Chip and the Eagles...
Dam good thing Seattle didn't blow $30M all on Maxwell and not be able to sign other key pieces.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Who really cares why he held out?

He did, and one can reasonably argue that it cost us a couple of wins, which cost the team a realistic chance at a first round bye.

That's how I'll remember Kam's holdout.

Erebus

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":24dcului said:

I do, and the front office does. Knowing why someone held out can help solve the issue in the future and avoid more holdouts. I remember rumors about Chancellor saying he would consider it again next year if his issue wasn't resolved. Hopefully his reason for coming back this year was a strong enough reason to not hold out again next year.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":lz1c25k5 said:

He did, and one can reasonably argue that it cost us a couple of wins, which cost the team a realistic chance at a first round bye.

That's how I'll remember Kam's holdout.
Agreed.

He was under contract and refused to show up. Having him would have turned one or two of those crushing 4th qtr losses into victories.

I also have no tolerance for players who whine about ONLY making millions and millions of dollars every year.

Kam could retire TODAY and as long as he spends his money wisely he would live a much better life than i ever will. No sympathy whatsoever.

I have never sided with a player holding out and i never will. IMO the player is wrong 100% of the time.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
As far as Cary Williams is concerned,i wouldn't be surprised if it caused some friction in the secondary and played a part in Kam's holdout.

The seahawks put together the core of this team in Pete and John's first 3 years. A big part of that was COMPETING and the players knowing that they WILL get paid for their hard work under their rookie deals. For a little while there were some murmurs about the core of the team taking slightly less than fair value so that the group could stay together.

Then Percy Harvin happened. Instantly an injured player who had never put on a Hawks uniform was the highest paid player on the team.

All of the WRs were pissed that we got him. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone in the secondary was pissed about the Williams contract as well.

As i said in my previous post, i dont support players for holding out. However, Pete and John COMPLETELY set themselves up for these kinds of problems by repeating the "comPETE" mantra while giving out big deals to NON-seahawks who didn't have to compete and earn it on the team.

Baldwin has done more for this team in 1 game than Harvin did during his entire seahawks tenure. Yet Harvin made more money in 1 year than Baldwin has in his entire career. Let that sink in for a minute. Harvin made more money sitting on the bench than Baldwin has in his entire NFL career.

The Hawks are going to have more problems like this if they keep rewarding NON-seahawks who haven't proven anything in a Hawks uni

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Throwdown":1fx0ek07 said:
Desperation. Remember that most of our DBs were hurt.

Seymour

Reaction score
I've thought from early on that the Williams contract was a major issue for Kam. The timing is right for that, and all was good prior to that when Kam even went to Hawaii with "the boys". Problem is, comparing strong safety wages vs starting caliber DB's is stupid (so is comparing to top free safeties) since there is a wide range in pay levels. Whatever the problem is, Kam can stick it where the sun don't shine, and hope we can get something for him in trade.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I think this is Kam's last year here. He's done too much damage, IMO.