Pete's Challenges

Wizofwest

Reaction score
Someone please take the red flag away from Pete. That is 3 challenges in a row with virtually zero chance of being overturned. That cannot happen in the playoffs.

Go Hawks!

rjdriver

Reaction score
Yep.

We are going to need those challenges and timeouts at the end of the games. No mistakes in the playoffs, and that means challenges as well.

Cartire

Reaction score
I got in trouble for yelling and waking up the baby when i saw that red flag come out.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I don't care. With all the team has overcome, he deserves his first Coach of the Year Award.

Challenges are such a small part of the overall game.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I hope he talks to his coaches about preventing him from doing that.

Wasting flags on something relatively unimportant like the one he threw last night, and then not having them available late in the game for a game-changing play that knocks us out of the playoffs would be unconscionable. :34853_doh:

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Between the damn challenges, and the, at minimum, 2 time outs Russ or Pete has to call because they can't get the ball snapped on time... Maaaaan, I ain't even 40 yet but I might be fully grey haired by the end of the playoffs. As well, I'm starting to have to not have anything that can break the TV near me during games. It's THAT serious.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Not snapping the ball on time is generally considered the fault of the QB as the on-field general of the offense.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
sc85sis":1rlezv5f said:
Not snapping the ball on time is generally considered the fault of the QB as the on-field general of the offense.

"Russ, you went full Kaepernick. Never go full Kaepernick."

253hawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":29kysocn said:

I really don't understand why this still happens so much in the league with the advent of technology and radio communication.

And I can't really blame him on challenging Russ' goal line slide. Any one of the other 21 players on the field could have slid like that with the ball and it would have been a TD. I get that a QB should have a little protection in the open field, but they should still be able to slide feet first into the end zone if a little self-preservation calls for it (as opposed to diving in recklessly head-first when the result would have been the same).

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
253hawk":10hpsu40 said:
And I can't really blame him on challenging Russ' goal line slide. Any one of the other 21 players on the field could have slid like that with the ball and it would have been a TD.

I'm not sure this is the case. I thought anytime any player--non-QBs included--goes to the ground intentionally, they are considered down the moment a non-foot body part hits the ground.

Seymour

Reaction score
Largent80":2t3zgeph said:
Pete gets his info to challenge from upstairs, per HIM.

Then tell the guys upstairs to turn the TV on and see the stupidity before it happens.

253hawk

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3d5nhmbp said:
I'm not sure this is the case. I thought anytime any player--non-QBs included--goes to the ground intentionally, they are considered down the moment a non-foot body part hits the ground.

In the open field perhaps, but let's be real here, no one is intentionally giving themselves up at the goal line unless it's late in the game and they are trying to kill some clock.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Largent80":kz3lse18 said:
Yeah, he has to rely on the guys with better angles & replays.

I've been frustrated by the "bad" challenges too, but it seems like Pete uses them as "time-outs with (potential) benefits." lol

I have no numbers, but it feels like they've come out of those challenge time-outs with solid game plans. So as long as they use their time wisely, do what works.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
253hawk":1kklfkoj said:
Ad Hawk":1kklfkoj said:

In the open field perhaps, but let's be real here, no one is intentionally giving themselves up at the goal line unless it's late in the game and they are trying to kill some clock.

Oh, I agree--nobody would do this except a QB or in the type of situations you propose.

But it's not a question of when or why someone would or wouldn't slide, but how the refs would interpret and call a slide like Russ did. If someone, anyone, goes feet-first even at the goal-line, the refs will call them down. That's all.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Largent80":2pm15a55 said:

But he doesn't always listen to them. He gets "hormonal" and throws the flag before they have a chance to review it.

If the last 3 challenges were from the guys upstairs, Pete needs to fire them. It was obvious on all 3 that he would lose, and not a one of them was important enough to lose challenges over. Turnovers, and long bombs on 3rd down, but 2nd and goal early in the game? Stupid.

Hawks46

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3lytgyqq said:
Pete was 5 of 12 on challenges this year, and only 1 of his last 5.

A lot of this was because many of these challenges were desperation challenges. I've seen some of them, and he's just hoping the refs see something different.

The AZ was a bit different, and I'm not too worried about it because I don't believe we even used the 2nd one.

naholmes

Reaction score
It seems like Pete uses them as an extra long timeout and a way to prove solidarity with the players. Losing the timeout and the opportunity for a 3rd challenge hasn't hurt the team yet. However, the stakes are higher in the playoffs and so I do hope it gets fixed.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Largent80":wfkx66iz said:
But he is the one responsible for making sure they don't have idiots giving him bad info.

That is PER ME.