Is Pete the best coach in the NFL?

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I know Bill Belicheck this ... and Bill that ... and all that garbage about the cheaters of NE.
But, look at Pete's work since taking over Seattle ... Wow ... just wow ... I mean ... just wow ...
I don't even know where to start. Can we sign him for life? I mean ... can we redo his contract ?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He was one play away from claiming that title . . . one play away from going 2-0 against Belichick . . . one play away from closing the Super Bowl gap, down 2-3.

Ultimately, I think Belichick suckered Bevell into throwing the ball by NOT calling the standard TO to stop the clock, thereby forcing the always-calculated Bevell to decide to run enough time off the clock, in the unlikely event that his idiotic play to Ricardo Lockette succeeded, while at the same time allowing the clock to stop on an incompletion to allow more opportunities to score. For that, Belichick is the undisputed greatest coach in the game. The ability to exploit an opponent's greatest weakness is an underrated trait.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Don't know if he's the best, but if he keeps going he'd better be a shoe-in for the HoF. He's one of three guys to win a national championship in college and a Super Bowl. That's rarefied air. And he's led his teams at both levels to remarkable consistency in eras where that isn't supposed to be possible.

Rat

Reaction score
I don't think his college accomplishments have anything to do with his NFL HOF credentials.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Rat":2scb9gc3 said:
I don't think his college accomplishments have anything to do with his NFL HOF credentials.
No, but it shows his coaching ability.

As for the NFL, thus far he has taken this team to the playoffs five out of six years. They've won at least ten games and gone to the playoffs each of the last four years. They've been to two straight Super Bowls and won one. The defense has been number one in scoring for four years in a row.

That's remarkable consistency. If this team continues to play well while Pete is head coach, he will earn HoF induction.

sutz

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2e2f7bdc said:
I'll begrudgingly give him just a sliiiiiiiiiiight edge over Chip Kelly. :D
Well, since Chip Kelly is technically no longer in the league.....

Just saying. :laugh:

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
No. If he was, we'd be going for our third straight Super Bowl win instead of trying to erase the painful memory of last year's loss and having to hear about it all game long today.

kearly

Reaction score
Pete Carroll could coach another 8 NFL seasons and still not be the oldest coach in NFL history. I think there is plenty of fuel in the tank for Pete, and I don't see the team asking him to step down any time soon.

Polaris

Reaction score
Rat":3kpmlwmi said:

I disagree at least when it comes to coaching. The fact that Pete was able to succeed at the highest level in both the NCAA and NFL will certainly be considered by the NFL writers (who decide who gets in) as a distinct point in his favor. In fact Pete may get in right now, and if he makes it to the dance again (let alone win another one), then he's a shoe-in. Maybe not as a first ballot HOFer but definitely a HOFer.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Its Bellichek and you are all kidding yourselves. He's top 5 current though.

Threedee

Reaction score
Bellichick > Carroll

That choke job will last for all-time, unless Pete wins more championships and gets a rematch.

Hawkintent

Reaction score
I really hope when he does retire as coach he stays with the organization in some capacity - "Football Czar". Having top defense with 3 different DC's.

formido

Reaction score
Threedee":2fn24tns said:
Bellichick > Carroll

That choke job will last for all-time, unless Pete wins more championships and gets a rematch.

Nope. If Seattle wins this year, last year will be cast in an entirely different light. It will be "dynasty Seattle one unlucky break from 3 straight titles".

ava

Reaction score
This may sound trivial but on a light hearted note I think he is the best looking coach in the NFL. :mrgreen: I don't know his history but he has had a huge impact on Seattle right? He should win Coach of the Year.

Crizilla

Reaction score
yeah i dont think with what happened last year Pete can be at the top. You just could NOT throw an INT there. Ball protection was the number 1 priority in that situation and the worst possible outcome happened. You gotta run it or make sure the OC calls a safe pass play.

Top NFC coach right now though

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Pete. He's the best.

About to be #1 DVOA for four consecutive years. Championship wins can be fluky, but the numbers are indisputable. The consistency he's achieved across the board is unlikely to ever be seen again.

But hey, if you want to crown Belichick, then crown him. He's a legend, but personally, I think it must be nice to run through a terrible division that hasn't had any other legit QBs or coaches in the last 15 years. When you're handed a bye every year because your division is consistently awful, you're starting ahead of everyone else. Doesn't mean you're better.