Why no jet sweep with lockett

stang233

Reaction score
We were able to run the jet sweep with great success with percy. I still see it ran wit success across the league. Why don't we run it with noE

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
stang233":1q169zvg said:
We were able to run the jet sweep with great success with percy. I still see it ran wit success across the league. Why don't we run it with noE

Without going back and watching film, I only remember 1 really successful jet sweep with PH...in the Super Bowl. They have run it a couple times in recent games but my guess is they just figure he's better off using his speed to stretch the length of the field rather than the width.

jkitsune

Reaction score
We may need to examine the meaning of the phrase "great success" here...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I'd rather see Lockett burning CBs for 40 yard gains than seeing him running jet sweeps.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I'm thinking no we didn't.

Nothing personal but really, I don't remember having anything more than a little success with PH running jet sweeps.

IMHO they are an ok play to spring unexpectedly and I'd be ok with doing that with TL but I pray that we don't go to it on a regular basis.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Harvin averaged over 10.4 YPC on rushing plays with the Seahawks (combine 2013 postseason and 2014 regular season). Almost all of those plays were designed sweeps. That is insanely successful.

That awful Dallas game seems to be the only thing people remember about Harvin's time here. He actually had a number of huge plays in his short stint with the team.

That said, Lockett doesn't have the same type of speed. He's extremely fast in his own way, but Harvin was a burst guy. Probably one of the fastest guys this league has seen in the first 5-10 yards.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
DavidSeven":ue1y8qu3 said:
Harvin averaged over 10.4 YPC on rushing plays with the Seahawks (combine 2013 postseason and 2014 regular season). Almost all of those plays were designed sweeps. That is insanely successful.

That awful Dallas game seems to be the only thing people remember about Harvin's time here. He actually had a number of huge plays in his short stint with the team.

That said, Lockett doesn't have the same type of speed. He's extremely fast in his own way, but Harvin was a burst guy. Probably one of the fastest guys this league has seen in the first 5-10 yards.

If your combining his best plays in the post season and 2014 season of course he is going to look better with that average, but let's just look at the 2014 stats.

His best runs were a 51, 16, and 6 yarders on rushing attempts, so minus that by the full 92 rushing yards he received that year and divided by the 8 attempt left (11 total attempts) he averaged 2.375 yards per attempt.

Teams figured how to stop Harvin on those plays and it wasn't just the Dallas game it was the redskin game as well.

It was bad because Harvin was suppose to take the top off of defense and I had my own theory of why he wasn't used in the deep threat because they knew that he had a chance to re injure his hip again. When he went to the Jets they started throwing him deep but after a bit he got injured again.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":34t95a1d said:
DavidSeven":34t95a1d said:

If your combining his best plays in the post season and 2014 season of course he is going to look better with that average, but let's just look at the 2014 stats.

His best runs were a 51, 16, and 6 yarders on rushing attempts, so minus that by the full 92 rushing yards he received that year and divided by the 8 attempt left (11 total attempts) he averaged 2.375 yards per attempt.

Teams figured how to stop Harvin on those plays and it wasn't just the Dallas game it was the redskin game as well.

It was bad because Harvin was suppose to take the top off of defense and I had my own theory of why he wasn't used in the deep threat because they knew that he had a chance to re injure his hip again. When he went to the Jets they started throwing him deep but after a bit he got injured again.
If you took away Russells big passes his yards per attempt would be very small.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Dizzlepdx":1wxpqrhf said:
stang233":1wxpqrhf said:

Without going back and watching film, I only remember 1 really successful jet sweep with PH...in the Super Bowl. They have run it a couple times in recent games but my guess is they just figure he's better off using his speed to stretch the length of the field rather than the width.

So you missed the Green Bay game last year? And the ensuing press?

Seahawks wideout Percy Harvin will be one of the most valuable players in the NFL this season. The revolution we expected the ex-Viking to bring to Seattle is finally here. A key facet of offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell’s brilliant game plan against the Packers last Thursday was using Harvin on jet sweeps, which usually derived with him being the inside slot on a three-receiver side and then attacking the weak side of the field.

Harvin showed jet-sweep action on seven of his 39 snaps, carrying the ball three times for 13, 9 and 16 yards. In the fourth quarter his jet sweep served as a decoy on both Marshawn Lynch’s 14-yard screen and a six-yard run that helped ice the game.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/09/10/percy-har ... e-seahawks

DavidSeven

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":1mbc4fn4 said:

The Redskins game where he had three TDs wiped away by ticky-tac penalties?

I'm no Harvin fan. I just think it's a mis-characterization to say the Harvin plays never worked.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1k0tm79h said:

You need to re-examine what "huge plays" means.

He also had more bad plays than good plays.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Cause he can successfully run routes downfield and understand how to beat zone defenses.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2nzm0i9w said:
DavidSeven":2nzm0i9w said:

If you re-watch the games against the Vikings, Saints, Broncos 1, Packers, Broncos 2, Redskins (wiped away), you will see he had huge plays (either by impact or yardage) in each of those games. Hell, he even scored a 50 yard TD in the Chargers game before pulling himself out.

He didn't really play in any other games for Seattle, except for Dallas which was a disaster.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I was on the Harvin train, I was full steam ahead with him, but the injuries and the locker room issues showed up at the wrong time. Your right though take away the big plays of anyone and they look pedestrian.

The main problem with Harvin was it felt like he didn't buy in with the Hawks, he got his big money and smile in front of the camera for us fans while doing whatever he did to mess up the locker room.

The plays in the Superbowl is how I will remember Harvin.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1qddcdrh said:
bjornanderson21":1qddcdrh said:
DavidSeven":1qddcdrh said:

If you re-watch the games against the Vikings, Saints, Broncos 1, Packers, Broncos 2, Redskins (wiped away), you will see he had huge plays (either by impact or yardage) in each of those games. Hell, he even scored a 50 yard TD in the Chargers game before pulling himself out.

He didn't really play in any other games for Seattle, except for Dallas which was a disaster.

The TD against the Chargers is the only really great thing I can remember from that game. And if I remember correctly, he stepped out of bounds along the way and didn't get called for it. Am I remembering that properly?