ADB credits Steve Largent for advice

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...oug-baldwin-credits-steve-largent-for-advice/

Baldwin finished with 78 receptions, seventh-most in team history, including 14 touchdowns, a Seahawks record, with 10 coming in a four-game stretch in which he tied Cris Carter and Calvin Johnson as the only players in NFL history to catch at least two touchdowns in four consecutive games.

But Baldwin believes you can never know too much — or never be reminded often enough of the game’s most fundamental principles.

It’s why two years ago he began text-messaging a Seahawks great with whom he finds himself increasingly linked in the team record book, the man who gave him the advice that is on those posters — Hall of Famer Steve Largent.

The two met in 2013 when Largent was in Seattle for a 30th anniversary of the 1983 Seahawks team that reached the AFC Championship Game.

Baldwin got Largent’s number from a member of the front office and texted him asking if he had any specific receiving advice.

“He texted me and asked me some things that I carried through training camp and things that I would work on and stuff like that,” Largent said. “I talked about the release off the ball and what I thought about catching the ball and just a few ideas like that.”

It might seem an obvious thing — someone in Baldwin’s position reaching out to Largent.

But Largent said it was the first time he could recall an active Seahawks receiver contacting him in such a manner for advice. Largent allows that for years after playing he was a member of Congress and not as available as he is now.

Still, it resonated with Largent, who said he thinks it says something about what he thinks is Baldwin’s greatest trait.

“His competitive spirit,’’ Largent said. “I mean, nobody wants to win more than Doug Baldwin does. He’s a small receiver, but he makes big plays.’