Projecting the O-Line: 2016 -->

Fade

Reaction score
*DISCLAIMER* If discussing roster moves isn't your thing. Please do not troll post, and muck up the thread, and ruin it for those of us who do. Thank You.

First I just want to say Cable did a fantastic job turning around a unit that looked unsalvageable early in the season, but the work is never done, and some interesting decisions are going to have to be made. LT is the most crucial decision of the off-season IMO.

Let's dive in.

Relevant Upcoming Free Agents

Okung - I think letting Okung sign elsewhere to an impetuous organization who will give him 9-11M APY, and collect on the compensatory pick is the right choice. He will just get hurt anyway. He always does. Nothing will make me feel worse than re-signing him at good LT money. (Which is what he will command on the open market.) Then he gets injured early in the season, and Gilliam, or whoever ends up being the LT anyway.

The Hawks need to be proactive at the LT position, and look to upgrade it. Whether it be moving up in the draft, or trading for a vet. Even if they re-sign Okung, they still have to be proactive because it is a given he is going to get hurt. Okung couldn't stay healthy in his 20's, he isn't going to magically reverse this trend entering his 30's. I'm sure the Hawks are thinking about re-signing him to a Low-Guarantee deal, but they are outnumbered by poorly run clubs with a willingness out of desperation to give him more guarantees, it is important they stay disciplined like they did with Maxwell last off-season.

Sweezy - I go back and forth on. I think Glowinski can be plugged in, and it would be pretty seamless, but Cable loves him, and Glowinski as a backup is highly valuable too. So right now I'm leaning toward re-signing him. $5-6M APY ballpark is what it will take. Again discipline, if another team wants to get crazy.

Patrick Lewis - is an RFA, you tender him no question.

Alvin Bailey - is an RFA, He isn't worth the $2.4M tender, but if he can be brought back at around the vet min, you do it. He is serviceable as a back up LT, and can play 4 positions on the O-Line.

The Draft

Besides LT if a vet isn't acquired. The Center of the future will be atop the wishlist. Thankfully there are numerous examples of Centers being drafted in the middle rounds in recent years, and being successful as rookies. So spending a middle round pick to add this piece is a no brainer.
NOTE: I'm not going to name specific prospects at this juncture due to the Senior Bowl & Combine always swinging draft stock, but please feel free to name a prospect, or 2. If you feel strongly about them.

Projected 2016 O-Line

LT -VET- via trade / or using a Draft Pick(s)
LG Britt
OC Lewis
RG Sweezy
RT Gilliam

T Bailey
G Glowinski
C Rookie Middle Round Pick
G Sokoli

9 is generally what they keep on the 53.

A final comment on Kristjan Sokoli. He was originally drafted to be a Center, but I just think that is too steep of a learning curve for a D-Line conversion project, and should be left to continue to develop as a Guard.

Thank You for reading. Please discuss, and please give your opinions on Okung & Sweezy, and your projection for the O-line in 2016.

Rob12

Reaction score
Personally, I think Glowinski is already better than Sweezy.

Keep Okung. Finding a ready LT in the draft/FA is a fool's errand, I think.

I like Dahl from WSU in the second or third.

Other than that, I have no idea.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Rob12":18cn8ow5 said:
Personally, I think Glowinski is already better than Sweezy.

Keep Okung. Finding a ready LT in the draft/FA is a fool's errand, I think.

I like Dahl from WSU in the second or third.

Other than that, I have no idea.

Keep Okung at what cost? I would love to keep Okung too if it were a 1 yr incentive based deal that could be up to $8-10M in total if he stayed healthy, but as you saw with Maxwell last year. Teams are going to throw 5 yr $50M+ contracts at him with $20M+ in guarantees, are you willing to match that? I'm not.

A LT example Jake Long who was even more injury prone than Okung signed a 4 yr. $34M w/16M guaranteed. In 2013. And he could of earned another $4M in guarantees if he made the roster in 2014. He didn't because of injuries. The cap will have gone up a lot since then. So I believe my projections on Okung are fairly conservative.

I agree on the Glowinski vs. Sweezy argument, but I've given in to accepting Cable loves Sweezy, and he will pound the table hard to re-sign him.

I like Joe Dahl too and I hope it happens, but if he tests well at the Combine, his stock will shoot up well into the 1st round. He has the production, there are just questions about his athleticism for a Left Tackle. So again if he tests well he immediately becomes a hot commodity.

I appreciate the thoughts.

saroos

Reaction score
I think we let Okung walk and trade for Joe Thomas. I believe he has two years left at 8 million per and he has never missed a snap in the NFL. His salary will be a wash from Okung's this year so no jump in cap space.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with your proposed plan is finding a LT in the draft. We will be drafting fairly low in the 1st so there will prpbably already be 5-6 OT taken ahead of us and it is unlikely we find someone that late that is a decent LT. That is the only reason, IMO, that we should try to bring Okung back.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Fade I agree almost 100%. A 30 yr old Okung will not be healthier

He has never played a full season. The way I analyze a position is average score of the position over the season. Regardless of who is playing it as it factors health. This makes out LT play below average overall. Adding a 11m Okung will not improve play due to his injury history.

We have Graham we could trade if needed to perhaps move up a bit or for a LT. That alone is a bi cap savings. I am a believer in the square peg into the rounds hole idea. He does not fit , good try move him.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
saroos":1yvzky7h said:
I think we let Okung walk and trade for Joe Thomas. I believe he has two years left at 8 million per and he has never missed a snap in the NFL. His salary will be a wash from Okung's this year so no jump in cap space.

This would be ideal for sure, and Seattle has shown in the past they're not scared of trading 1st rounders, and doing what is necessary to make it happen.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3a0uo4yl said:
The biggest problem I have with your proposed plan is finding a LT in the draft. We will be drafting fairly low in the 1st so there will prpbably already be 5-6 OT taken ahead of us and it is unlikely we find someone that late that is a decent LT. That is the only reason, IMO, that we should try to bring Okung back.

You are right LTs are over drafted, but Seattle has shown if they really want a guy they will trade up. Like Lockett last year they could zero in on a prospect and go get him.

If the Hawks stood pat in the late 1st Joe Dahl would be attainable. (His draft stock is currently 3rd Round.) I think that would be an improvement from an injury prone Okung especially over the long term.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Happypuppy":1lkrtl6v said:
Fade I agree almost 100%. A 30 yr old Okung will not be healthier

He has never played a full season. The way I analyze a position is average score of the position over the season. Regardless of who is playing it as it factors health. This makes out LT play below average overall. Adding a 11m Okung will not improve play due to his injury history.

We have Graham we could trade if needed to perhaps move up a bit or for a LT. That alone is a bi cap savings. I am a believer in the square peg into the rounds hole idea. He does not fit , good try move him.

This is the way I see it as well. I just can't justify paying Okung all that money. When the only reason is fear of what else is out there. It couldn't be worse than the below avg play the team has seen the last 3 seasons overall from the position. I'm cool with a 1 yr incentive laced deal, but if teams are willing to go even into the $15M+ guaranteed range I would have to say no. Perception is reality when it comes to UFA, and whenever I here national folks talking about Okung they think he is a franchise LT. He even made the Pro-Bowl this year as an alternate. So his perceived value is way higher than his real value. IMO. Which translates to desperate teams offering him crazy money.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Setting the draft aside, I'm hoping we keep the current line as intact as possible. It will be a tall order to keep Sweezy and Okung, and unless the draft falls perfectly for us, I doubt we'll be able to grab a starting-caliber rookie LT. With that in mind, I think Okung's market value will be a bit low and I't invest in him before Sweezy. With that in mind, my "preferred" OL in 2016 looks like:

RT - Gilliam. He's very athletic and growing into the position. Not the liability he was at the start.
RG - Glowinski/FA/Rookie. Sweezy is the best option, but I'm assuming he'll get an offer he can't refuse from someone else. If he stays, then it's a no-brainer.
C - Lewis. He's proven that he's a capable NFL Center. No, not perfect, but I'd rather not keep messing with the position when we have a guy who is quite adequate at the job.
LG - Britt. A bust at RT, but becoming a very solid LG. Hooray!
LT - Okung. Health will always be a bit of an issue, which is why it's nice to have a versatile backup like Bailey on the roster. If somehow we strike gold in the draft, then great, but I think Okung will be in the budget this year.

It seems we'll never invest in OL like teams such as Dallas, which is why its essential to keep drafting as well and finding diamonds in the rough. That said, I like what our current unit is becoming and I hope we can avoid having to constantly re-shuffle the unit every damn season. Seems like we can.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
MysterMatt":37q71k0c said:
Setting the draft aside, I'm hoping we keep the current line as intact as possible. It will be a tall order to keep Sweezy and Okung, and unless the draft falls perfectly for us, I doubt we'll be able to grab a starting-caliber rookie. With that in mind, I think Okung's market value will be a bit low and I't invest in him before Sweezy. With that in mind, my "preferred" OL in 2016 looks like:

RT - Gilliam. He's very athletic and growing into the position. Not the liability he was at the start.
RG - Glowinski/FA/Rookie. Sweezy is the best option, but I'm assuming he'll get an offer he can't refuse from someone else. If he stays, then it's a no-brainer.
C - Lewis. He's proven that he's a capable NFL Center. No, not perfect, but I'd rather not keep messing with the position when we have a guy who is quite adequate at the job.
LG - Britt. A bust at RT, but becoming a very solid LG. Hooray!
LT - Okung. Health will always be a bit of an issue, which is why it's nice to have a versatile backup like Bailey on the roster. If somehow we strike gold in the draft, then great, but I think Okung will be in the budget this year.

It seems we'll never invest in OL like teams such as Dallas, which is why its essential to keep drafting as well and finding diamonds in the rough. That said, I like what our current unit is becoming and I hope we can avoid having to constantly re-shuffle the unit every damn season. Seems like we can.

You laid out a realistic scenario for sure. On Okung's market value though. The only way I see it dropping is if he gets hurt again in the playoffs. If he makes it through unscathed, teams will be lining up to sign him. Kansas City, Denver, Minnesota, Houston w/Duane Brown's injury. That is 4 playoff teams right there that could potentially offer him something. Then you have the GM's that are in desperation mode, and will try to save their jobs by overspending in free agency. Okung is going to get $$$$$ paid in a major way. It's just a question of whether it's from the Seahawks, or somebody else.

I see continuity as a factor as well. I have them keeping Sweezy to maintain 4 of 5 starters. You have them keeping Okung to maintain 4 of 5 starters. I think if they really wanted to keep either one though. They would've extended them last off-season. I think Seattle is slow playing it hoping to get a bargain, and if they get out bid from other teams they will gladly take the compensatory picks with a smile.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I'd personally keep Sweezy and move on from Okung but wouldn't be miffed at all if Sweezy was allowed to walk upon receiving a big offer elsewhere. In both cases the team would likely recover a comp pick if they aren't very active in FA.

My sense is the team should be careful in acquiring a vet LT for big $ or significant expense in the trade of draft picks as any team letting that player go would be doing so for legit reasons.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I posted this somewhere else, but I think Thomas is doable for us.

I didn't know he was at 8m/yr, but that makes him even more attractive. By all accounts, he's getting tired of Cleveland ( and hwo could blame him?). The Browns are a hot mess, they need to rebuild, they don't even know who their HC, coaching staff, GM or QB is going to be, and they're consistently among the worst teams in the NFL.

I'm betting Cleveland wants more than a 1st rounder for him, but I'd be happy with a 1st and our 3rd for him if we could get that done.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Hawks46":5i8ck12u said:
I posted this somewhere else, but I think Thomas is doable for us.

I didn't know he was at 8m/yr, but that makes him even more attractive. By all accounts, he's getting tired of Cleveland ( and hwo could blame him?). The Browns are a hot mess, they need to rebuild, they don't even know who their HC, coaching staff, GM or QB is going to be, and they're consistently among the worst teams in the NFL.

I'm betting Cleveland wants more than a 1st rounder for him, but I'd be happy with a 1st and our 3rd for him if we could get that done.

1st and a 3rd. Yes. Do it.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm completely against the idea of trading a 1st/3rd for Joe Thomas.

Basically we could get most of a season for about the same cap hit with Okung but not spend the draft picks.

Getting Thomas doesn't mean we're immune from getting injured at LT. I'd much rather keep Okung and draft a backup with one and get a rookie LT who looks capable. Even if we have to move up using both of the picks.

At least in that way, if Okung falters -- we have a backup. And possibly a replacement long term. Or at least a guy who can backup both Gilliam or Okung. If we get Thomas and burn the picks then we still need a backup -- but don't have the picks to get one.

Thomas is a name guy who gives us a warm fuzzy feeling of security. But he can get hurt just like Graham did this year. I'd rather have Okung and more depth than Thomas and no depth.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
The Seahawks have 9 picks going into the draft when factoring in compensatory's. Trading 2 of them will leave Seattle with 7 picks remaining. the last 3 years only 5-6 rookies have been making the team. So I would be totally cool with trading for Joe Thomas, and still have 7 picks to work with for the rest of the draft. Seattle dominates the UDFA pool as well.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
My guess:

Gilliam -- Britt -- Veteran -- Sweezy -- draft pick

And I'd suggest Alex Mack as the veteran and Adam Bisnowaty (LT, Pittsburgh) as the rookie in about round three. Unless Shon Coleman (Auburn) falls into their laps and they draft the best tackle in college football.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
What does the FA market for Olineman look like?

Ravens look like they may be ready to part with Eugene Monroe. Monroe was a pretty solid LT for Jags. If not Thomas, maybe Monroe?

The major thing that the OL has suffered from is inconsistency and continuity. They have a chance to improve both by keeping Okung and Sweezy. In the past couple of years, they let Bowie, Breno, and Carp walk. Bowie hasn't done much but Carp and Breno formed a very solid Jets OL. Think of how good the Seahawk OL would have been if they kept those guys.

The weakest link has been Gilliam, IMO. He has to have TE help to be successful. If they can find someone who doesn't need that in the 2016 draft or via FA, then replace Gilliam at RT.

While I don't believe Okung or Sweezy are great, for continuity and consistency sake they are good enough.

My 2016 OL -

Okung - Britt - Lewis - Sweezy - Gilliam or 2016 draft pick

massari

Reaction score
UFA options would be: Okung, Kelvin Beachum, Cordy Glenn, Donald Penn.

Beachum is coming off a torn ACL and if healthy might be available at a bargain price (probably have to pay more than the Steelers to get him though). He would've been the #1 UFA LT this year. So if he's healthy and if they can get him on a cheap prove it bargain, that would be awesome to go along with a high draft pick.

Sign C-Stefan Wisniewski and RT Joe Barksdale for about 3M or 4M per. I'm guessing Sweezy would be around 3M per as well.

I doubt they actually spend this much money on the OL though....

LT- Kelvin Beachum / draft pick
LG- Britt / draft pick
C- Wisniewski / Lewis/ Sokoli
RG- Sweezy/ Glowinski
RT- Joe Barksdale / Gilliam

EDIT:This all cheap team could work...maybe:

LT-Donald Penn / draft pick
LG-Britt / FA or draft pick
C-Lewis / Sokoli
RG-Glowinski / FA or draft pick
RT-Gilliam / FA or draft pick

kearly

Reaction score
I don't want to see Gilliam or Bailey being our opening day LT next season. Gilliam isn't ready to face elite pass rushers almost every week, and Bailey plays like he wants out of Seattle. If they do let Okung go then things could get ugly.

Sweezy is good, but expendable. I think he stays because he's Cable's teacher's pet.

I think Lewis will remain the interim center, most likely. I think they will draft a center early only if the right guy is there at the right spot. I think they try to develop Sokoli for another year.

The most replacable OL to me is Gilliam, but Gilliam has the tools to be very good, and he's improved over the course of the season.