Does Wilson even belong in the MVP discussion at all?

Willyeye

Reaction score
I don't think so. Wilson didn't have a consistently good year. I'm just happy that he was finally able to join the elite club this year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Huh? Are you trolling?

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
austinslater25":lpwfw7kb said:
Huh? Are you trolling?

Not trolling...just curious what my fellow Hawk fans think about it. Maybe I just don't really care about individual accolades.

Mick063

Reaction score
Troll alert.

A real fan would not believe such a thing.

MVP is a beauty pageant. No different than Miss America. A popularity contest.

So what we are talking about is writing history. Now Russell has been able to write his own history and it is represented by the jewelry he wears, but MVP is about fans and media writing history, not the player.

What true fan would exclude Russell Wilson from football history?

Answer: A Troll.

Getting into the Hall of Fame requires credentials. The best credentials are

A) Super Bowl appearances (Player has control)
B) MVP trophies (media and fans have control)
C) All-pro (media and fans have control)
B) Pro Bowls (both media, fans and peers have control)

Russell has done his part and continues to do his part. If we do our part then he gets a bust in Canton.

So I ask again, what true fan would exclude him from MVP consideration?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
He definitely belongs in the discussion but both Cam and Carson had a just as good year while being way more consistent.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If not for the year Cam had I believe Wilson takes it this year.

No matter, he'll get that accolade to add to his collection down the road.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
In the discussion? Sure..........unprecedented 24 TD's, 1 interception is grounds for being in the discussion.

Win? No, not enough team wins. If we went 13-3 or better then Russell would be right there with arguments to be made.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Mick063":2n27g9wz said:
Troll alert.

So what we are talking about is writing history. Now Russell has been able to write his own history and it is represented by the jewelry he wears, but MVP is about fans and media writing history, not the player.

Whether OP is serious or trolling you cannot be serious with this post... Is there no room for objective analysis anymore? As a fan of the Seahawks we have to believe russell should be MVP simply because he is a seahawk? What a load of rubbish. I can think for myself on who should win mvp I encourage every other 12th man to do the same.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Aros":cpjzhxmb said:
If not for the year Cam had I believe Wilson takes it this year.

No matter, he'll get that accolade to add to his collection down the road.

I definitely would feel good about Russell getting the SB MVP. Maybe I don't care about MVP or Coach of the Year, because I don't think the media guys like the Hawks enough.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Statistically Wilson's case is as strong as anyone. I would argue just looking at the numbers Cam would be 3rd or 4th. What hurts Wilson is what Largent talked about above, team wins. I think a strong case can be made for Wilson, Brady, Cam and Palmer.

If you weren't trolling then I apologize for insinuating. Not everyone is a stat/numbers guy and enjoys the game in different ways.

Mick063

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2eku8eqz said:
Mick063":2eku8eqz said:
Troll alert.

Whether OP is serious or trolling you cannot be serious with this post... Is there no room for objective analysis anymore? As a fan of the Seahawks we have to believe russell should be MVP simply because he is a seahawk? What a load of rubbish. I can think for myself on who should win mvp I encourage every other 12th man to do the same.

You don't see me offering up Sherman, Lynch, Graham, Lockett, or Thomas for MVP.

They are Seahawks.

Your fallacy has been revealed. It is shallow.

MVP is not objective analysis. It is Miss America pageant. A popularity contest. If it were not, JJ Watt would have a shot. Antonio Brown would have a shot. Walter Jones would have won it in 2005.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Mick063":3mjq4j9l said:
Troll alert.

Getting into the Hall of Fame requires credentials. The best credentials are

A) Super Bowl appearances (Player has control)
B) MVP trophies (media and fans have control)
C) All-pro (media and fans have control)
B) Pro Bowls (both media, fans and peers have control)

Russell has done his part and continues to do his part. If we do our part then he gets a bust in Canton.

So I ask again, what true fan would exclude him from MVP consideration?

Definitely not a troll. If anything, I am a total homer for Russell. If you dont believe me, go to :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=109880

Ozzy

Reaction score
I get where you're coming from. I would take a SB MVP all day over league MVP too for what its worth :)

Basis4day

Reaction score
I don't expect him to win but he needs to be in the discussion, just as he did for Rookie of the Year in 2012.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
austinslater25":15xxk8mf said:
Statistically Wilson's case is as strong as anyone. I would argue just looking at the numbers Cam would be 3rd or 4th. What hurts Wilson is what Largent talked about above, team wins. I think a strong case can be made for Wilson, Brady, Cam and Palmer.

If you weren't trolling then I apologize for insinuating. Not everyone is a stat/numbers guy and enjoys the game in different ways.

I am a stats guy for sure...BIGTIME. I am well aware of Cam's numbers and I personally think considering Cam for MVP is ridiculous. I would like to see Palmer get the MVP.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I wouldn't have any problems with Palmer winning the award.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Too short.

Seriously though, the Seahawks have been the best team over the last 4 years going to 2, maybe 4 Super Bowls and have won 0 coach of the year awards, 0 Front Office of the Year awards, 0 MVPs, 0 Offensive Player of the Year. The only accolade they've really received is the Defensive Player of the Year for Sherman.

Of course Wilson doesn't belong in the discussion because that's just the way it is.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Carolina scored more points than anyone in the league. And it was a one-man show. Cam scored 45 TDs.

You better believe if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning score 45 TDs on the league's highest scoring team, they are running away with the MVP award.

That said, of course Russell belongs in the discussion, and he is. He will likely finish 4th, behind Palmer and Brady. That isn't a slight. Being considered the fourth best player in the NFL this year is NOT disrespect. Other players have had fantastic seasons too. Unlike Palmer and Brady, Russ is going to have many, many more cracks at it.

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
HawkGA":241w7nf4 said:
Too short.

Seriously though, the Seahawks have been the best team over the last 4 years going to 2, maybe 4 Super Bowls and have won 0 coach of the year awards, 0 Front Office of the Year awards, 0 MVPs, 0 Offensive Player of the Year. The only accolade they've really received is the Defensive Player of the Year for Sherman.

Of course Wilson doesn't belong in the discussion because that's just the way it is.

I think you've made the best point...the Seahawks just DON't GET THESE TYPES OF AWARDS. Why waste the time even discussing Russell for MVP this year when he won't get the award anyway? I think it might make ALL Seahawk fans look like homers. Wouldn't it be wiser to save that discussion for a future season when Russell actually has a chance to win it?