Where were the quick passes today?

jkitsune

Reaction score
This is my biggest complaint from the game. I promised if the Hawks pulled this out I wouldn't fret no matter how they won, and I won't.

But IMHO, there were some huge culprits for our lackluster play:
1) Russell, both decision-making (scrambling when he didn't need to, forcing deep throws, and clock management)
2) Bevell (not emphasizing a short passing game, when the thing that worked best for us were flats and slants)
3) Carroll (clock management, going for it on 4th and 13)

I can chalk all of these up to the cold in some way or another, except for #2. Russell clearly didn't have his normal strength this game, and I do attribute that to the temperature. Deep throws were open, but neither Russ nor Bevell would accept that Russ couldn't hit them.

Anyways, like I said. Fluky game and I'm just grateful to have won. Win or lose next week, I suspect we'll play better.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Either Zimmer did a great job with his defense and the return of barr, Harrison and Joseph was huge, or bevell and Wilson had a brain fart today

mrt144

Reaction score
The TD drive had them, then directly following after that with the Turnover it was two 1st down deep shots.

Bevell is like Dr. Strangelove fighting his latent desire to go big.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Like that little screen hitter to k Smith, should have been used much earlier and then later too

djb28

Reaction score
Minnesota getting their defense back and playing well was a huge factor in this game. That D played as hard as we.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Throwing long ones down field like it was 48 degrees outside. Just could not believe those were called. Just when we think Bevel finally gets it, he falls back on low probability plays.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It happened a decent amount, but MIN was crowding the LOS on almost every play expecting runs and short throws, probably due to the weather. We couldn't hit downfield and they played accordingly.

Dizzlepdx

Reaction score
jkitsune":1sq87ceb said:
This is my biggest complaint from the game. I promised if the Hawks pulled this out I wouldn't fret no matter how they won, and I won't.

1) Russell, both decision-making (scrambling when he didn't need to, forcing deep throws, and clock management)
2) Bevell (not emphasizing a short passing game, when the thing that worked best for us were flats and slants)

I can chalk all of these up to the cold in some way or another, except for #2. Russell clearly didn't have his normal strength this game, and I do attribute that to the temperature. Deep throws were open, but neither Russ nor Bevell would accept that Russ couldn't hit them.

Anyways, like I said. Fluky game and I'm just grateful to have won. Win or lose next week, I suspect we'll play better.

3)according to the broadcast, Carroll said at halftime they were having headset issues. B)My guess is this was just on the edge of SH's range in this cold.
2)Without rewatching yet, I would bet that Minny's D was making this their top priority.
1)Again, at first watch live, I don't recall seeing a lot of the scrambling issues (making the wrong decision, stay or bail). I also don't recall him really forcing anything down field. The only one that I can recall offhand was going down the left sideline (moving left to right) to Lockett I believe. Was right at the goal line and TL had to breakup the interception.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
The first half the winds chills were facing Wilson and those deep shots were bad because of the weather making the ball sail higher than normal, also he was pressing on some plays as he wasn't getting the usual rhythm he normally gets to set his foot and throw. I didn't get why we didn't use the quick passing game either, and we didn't run any uptempo offense, make it seem like they didn't want to show any tape to the Panters, the same way we didn't use the quick passing game against the Rams and then we used it against the Cardinals.

I'm watching the Redskins/packers game right now and they said the same thing about Rodgers finally having the wind behind his back and he performed better after that.

I will give the Vikes D some credit but that cold really affected our offense. It also didn't help that we were going for 4th and forever instead of kicking field goals, we left some points off the board.

I'm glad the next few games we will have a much better weather conditions and the offense will be much better.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Without seeing the All-22, I'm going to guess that MN decided to play the short passes and running game pretty aggressively. You saw us try to exploit man coverage down the field on multiple occasions, but the conditions made it difficult to capitalize.

Even with that, we attempted a lot of short stuff. What I saw was a lot of overthrows and good coverage.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Dizzlepdx":2jfaaq8r said:
jkitsune":2jfaaq8r said:

3)according to the broadcast, Carroll said at halftime they were having headset issues. B)My guess is this was just on the edge of SH's range in this cold.
2)Without rewatching yet, I would bet that Minny's D was making this their top priority.
1)Again, at first watch live, I don't recall seeing a lot of the scrambling issues (making the wrong decision, stay or bail). I also don't recall him really forcing anything down field. The only one that I can recall offhand was going down the left sideline (moving left to right) to Lockett I believe. Was right at the goal line and TL had to breakup the interception.
Yeah he wasn't forcing but yeah he was miserably poor throwing deep. If they took away slants and flat good for them, but I still would've liked to have seen more rolling pockets. O line was fair at best today and that might have helped them as well.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SPIRITOF12":3mzv3pb7 said:
Throwing long ones down field like it was 48 degrees outside. Just could not believe those were called. Just when we think Bevel finally gets it, he falls back on low probability plays.
Yep he took 2 steps backwards in play calling today. Hawks Defense and a missed opponent's FG saved his miserable bacon today.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I think the turf issues had an effect on the short passing game.