Kam and his tight end woes bothering me.

blazen2392

Reaction score
I don't know what has been up with him. By far the best SS in the box, but besides that it seems like his coverage skills have gotten worse, from last year and the year before. Honestly Kam looks a lot bigger than he used too. maybe the extra muscle mass is slowing him down.

There is no excuse. He has to at least keep greg olson in check.

RussB

Reaction score
He can cover hes done it great in the past. Dont know why he all of a sudden cant.

rightbench

Reaction score
I still wonder if the injury last year was worse than reported and he's lost a couple steps in coverage. Big hits would still seem to be doable, but wouldn't be surprising if change of direction or top end speed was permanently diminished.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I made a thread about this yesterday............and it's a head scratcher how he went from beast knocking the soul out of TE's ruining their careers to getting torched in one year.

I know he's got the tailbone thing, and he came into the season late..........but I'm not sure that all equals slow out of the break and not dropping deep enough down the seem to help Earl out.

All I know is Pete better figure it out before Sunday, cause I GUARANTEE you Olson is a huge part of the gameplan for the Panthers come Sunday.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Would it make sense to take him out in obvious passing situations? McCray seemed a lot more adept in coverage this year than Kam has. Put Kam in when you know you want him in the box. I don't know, it seems crazy. But he is a total liability right now to my eyes.

It is really sad how much he has fallen off in that regard. Remember the awesome play in SB 48 where he was running stride for stride with Julius Thomas, passed him off and turned with Welker to break up the pass? Utterly amazing coverage play. One of the best I've ever seen from a safety. He plays nothing like that guy anymore.

canfan

Reaction score
Sorry, wrong thread. I thought this was about Kam's tailbone injury. 8)

OP
OP
B

blazen2392

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2oz49rsy said:
Would it make sense to take him out in obvious passing situations? McCray seemed a lot more adept in coverage this year than Kam has. Put Kam in when you know you want him in the box. I don't know, it seems crazy. But he is a total liability right now to my eyes.

It is really sad how much he has fallen off in that regard. Remember the awesome play in SB 48 where he was running stride for stride with Julius Thomas, passed him off and turned with Welker to break up the pass? Utterly amazing coverage play. One of the best I've ever seen from a safety. He plays nothing like that guy anymore.

I know. My worst fear is his aggresive style of play has taken a hit on his body. I think all those injuries have added up.

Hip, MCL, tailbone.

RussB

Reaction score
Kam1.0.gif

VariableGleefulConure0

KamHit2

Why doesnt he do this anymore. Whenever teams used to pass his way to a TE or reciever he would either lay them out or pick it off. Now they just run right passed him most of the time.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
RussB":3k712tt6 said:
Why doesnt he do this anymore. Whenever teams used to pass his way to a TE or reciever he would either lay them out or pick it off. Now they just run right passed him most of the time.

The NFL is putting an emphasis on hitting a defenseless receiver so I can understand the hesitation.

JPatera76

Reaction score
RussB":r86ganha said:
Kam1.0.gif

VariableGleefulConure0

KamHit2

Because he's not paid enough therefore sparing his body?

I honestly don't know but it part of me almsot feels he's here just to his money, and not lose anymore in regards to fines.

Mojambo

Reaction score
He's never been great in coverage. If the injuries have caused him to lose a step, that would explain the regression in his coverage ability.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Mojambo":g4jvif1q said:
He's never been great in coverage. If the injuries have caused him to lose a step, that would explain the regression in his coverage ability.

Would also explain why he shouldn't get paid.

RussB

Reaction score
JPatera76":ep6zc5aw said:
RussB":ep6zc5aw said:
Kam1.0.gif

VariableGleefulConure0

KamHit2

Because he's not paid enough therefore sparing his body?

I honestly don't know but it part of me almsot feels he's here just to his money, and not lose anymore in regards to fines.
Well that would be pretty selfish of him.

RussB

Reaction score
kelsie mccray also was balling when filling in for him so thats a good thing.

Basis4day

Reaction score
RussB":2akvqfoc said:

For starters he missed six games this year meaning that much less opportunity to make a play. His ability to make those hits is no secret around the league and no QB worth his salt is going to lay his receiver out like that anymore. Couple that with Kam having a well established history of fines related to such hits and i think your question is answered.

hawk45

Reaction score
Definitely tough to justify paying him free safety money early in his contract life cycle after this season. His leverage is dramatically less since we've been without all pro Kam the entire season even when he has been on the field.

naholmes

Reaction score
It seems like it's more mental than physical. I can't remember too many plays where he's been outrun or out-muscled but instead just letting a guy go unaware that the help is not going to get there. There was the play by Rudolph at the end of the past game where he was a half step late on an out pattern and he missed the deflection and tackle allowing a big gain but if the pass hadn't been perfect then I think Kam would have picked it.

kearly

Reaction score
Ask Vernon Davis or Jimmy Graham how much they liked going up against Kam. Seattle's struggles against TEs are a quirk of the cover 3 scheme Pete runs.

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah...but the TE hole in the cover 3 has been there from the start. The point here is, Kam has been able to either cover better or turn out the lights, and now he isn't, and so that hole is being exploited more regularly.

From that standpoint it's justifiable to frame it as Kam's woes, because it didn't used to kill us quite this much. It always was a chink in the armor, but rarely to the extent we've seen.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Seems like we're basing this on a very questionable PI call, and another play against a very good tight end where he ran in front and was inches away from knocking the ball away. In a game in the freezing cold that was his first back from injury.

Sure, he hasn't made as many big plays this year, but he hasn't been around as much. You do not take Kam out on passing downs. That's just ridiculous. Remember how the secondary was playing early in the season when he wasn't there keeping everybody in the right place?

Relax people.